Moped Keys

Another post made me think of this. Are there tons of different cuts for each brand or is there just a handful? Does anybody know this? I mean for something like a moped, I figure they might have a few cuts that they use. If so, maybe we could get a wiki section for the different cuts and get a key swap thing going so we can replace the missing keys on our peds. What do you think?

Re: Moped Keys

That seems feasible, most locks have 5 tumblers, each tumbler numbered 1-5, a key code would look like 1-4-3-5-4 or such.

Different brands probably use different blanks though. Someone with multiple peds or a club would be needed to check interchangeability.

I would be especially curious about Sachs.

My foxi don't have any keys but that sounds like a good idea the more stuff on wiki that we can post about our moped to help other people with problems or whatever the better off we all will be.

A reputable locksmith can figure those things out and make you a new one for cheaper than you could get someone to mail you an old key...

keys for a moped are really stupid, make it weigh 500 pound so someone can't throw it in a truck, van or geo metro and keys might make sense. its just flash.

I used to own a Geo Metro, same deal. I'd lock the doors, some douche would pick it up and move it in between two trees so you couldn't get in or out.

the only fork key i ever had was for a bravo. why does everybody lose these?

HAHAHA quatto!

my friend had an '80s Tercel, 2 people could easily lift the front end. i always wanted to pick it up and set it somewhere else when we were in high school, never got around to it.

to mail a key would cost probably whatever a stamp + envelope costs. Do you think a locksmith could beat that? I mean if they aren't all basically the same, it's pointless, but if they are...

Years ago my fathers girlfriend came over my house and me and a buddie of mine were wrenching on or dirtbikes.

She pulls in in her mid eighties front wheel drive 2.2 dodge charger all pissed off about something. She sees us and starts flipping out about how I am not supposed to have freinds over and runs inside screaming about how she is going to call my father.

Me and my buddie picked up the back of that car and wedged the rear bumper against the fence and the front bumper against the porch! We hid in the bushes across the street and watched her go ballistic! She is half deaf so the screaming yelling was all off key kinda like the greased up deaf guy on family guy!

She was flipping for about an hour before she went inside to cry. At that point me and my bud pushed the car back where it was.

My old man thought it was the funniest thing I had ever done...

And with lock tumblers if you can get them out you can re-code it by moving around the positions of the tumblers or leaving some of them out all together so there is only one or two and cut your own key to match them with a file.

I've got a couple of Maita's, If someone tried to pick them up the bumpers would fall off and pop them in the chin.

As paulvolio stated removing tumblers is easy, two is plenty and you file a blank in two places to make it work. One of my toolboxes I removed all the tumblers and a screwdriver or equiv opens it.

Seems some don't use them? If a thief cuts your lock (easy) he or she could just roll it away w/o the fork lock. Shure its light enough to carry but how far will they go? Make it a pain in the ass to move it, I'd bet most get walked around the corner and driven from there. Someone pushing a ped doesn't look suspicious but carrying the front does.

I really mis my miata...

I have to watch someone else drive my little race car.

I used to work for mazda and had my hands deep in thier parts cookie jar.

6 speed late model tranny

jdm spec ported motor

bilstien suspension

subframes from a 94 with all the braces

2002 special edition grey canvas top with a glass window and defroster

2002 16" factory 5 star rims with dunlop sp sport 5000 tires.

I used to trick hondas into trying to keep up with me on highway ramps they would always spin out.

A camaro tried to keep up with me on a twisty road in nh.

He ended up into a rockpile at 65!

sorry about the threadjack dude...

A lot of bikes have variants of the Honda keys for ignition. I'd be willing to bet that most if not all of the fork locks came from the same factory,

Cosmo nPuch Stillstolen /

Greg brings up a good point about how awkward carrying the front of a ped would be. A fork lock does discourage the casual cretin from rolling it away.

Gotta get my Puch keys made.

A wise man once said

"Locks keep the honest people out."

Cosmo nPuch Stillstolen /

or "Locks keep honest people honest"

The key to removing tumblers is removing the lock from the bike. Most fork locks won't come out of the forks. For example, on one of my puchs, I pulled the pin at the bottom of tha lock, but that was as far as I could get. How would you go about removing the lock, tumblers and all w/o drilling the lock out?

learn how to use a lockpick set.

search youtube there is a guy doing it for sport...

It all comes down to understanding the mechanism and what to hold push and tickle.

i rode my ped down to the lock smith and he charged me $15to cut a key for it, after he removed the tumblers.

sachs use the same key blank as some BMW's. Go to a locksmith-super easy and it will actually work.

Unless you have an evil plan of collecting keys and randomly locking other peoples forks, then challenging them to races to make money to further your cross country terror.

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account