Any opinions on using a bike trailer

to carry crap? i can modify the hitch, but i wanted to know some opinions from the p-nut gallery before i went, spent $ and hacked up a cart.

let me know. i wont have a lot of weight on it (maybe 20/30 lbs) and i know all about lights/saftey (yes, i know ill be a bigger target)

if anyone has tried or thought about this, post up!

Re: Any opinions on using a bike trailer

fuck why does it say im"deaman"...

John Joedicke /

Simple to make one of these!

1231368435_bikerev_picture_044.jpg

that was what i had in mind. but i dont see what to use for the frame/wheels. it looks just like a pull behind "kid" trailer just with the tote on the top. they make some that are just flat trailers. im gonna jump on craigslist and see what i can find.

can anyone think of any major issues? i cant think of anything to use for brakes, but ill keep thinking. got the light issue taken care of.

bumpo..

halp?

Brakes? You don't need any extra brakes. I take my kids to school in a double bicycle trailer pulled by a Solex and it probably weighs around 80 pounds with both kids in the trailer. The Solex has crappy bicycle brakes and if you think ahead a bit, you're fine. A trailer with only 30 poundson it would be like carrying a very heavy backpack.

great! thats exactly what i needed to hear. how do you have it connected?

I just used the connections that came with the trailer. I'll see if I can get a shot of it tomorrow. It might be a little different for a full-fledged moped since the axles are bigger but the concept would be the same.

yeah, please send me a pic to my email, dmk_132003@hotmail.com. id like to see just how its hooked up at the axel. i was thinking about getting one that would connect to the seat post of a bike and modify it to clip to the rack on the back of my ttlx. thanks alot!

My trailer is a Burley, it has a little bracket that goes on your axle bolt. Somewhere I saw an awesome little homemade teardrop made for a moped. I'd hate to consider the legality of hauling kids in it, but Solex could just as easily be a bicycle.

I know in some states you need to regester a trailer just like a car trailer, even if it is behind a moped.

(brystheguy) do you ever worry about the exhaust going right in their faces? I imagine it would be way worse on a regular moped with a rear exiting pipe.

i gotta say--although i don't have kids, i would NEVER haul a child in a bicycle trailer behind a moped!

solex is different, you can easily go faster on a bicycle, especially pulling a trailer I imagine it can't break 15mph.

About the kids in the trailer - I care for my kids just as much as the next parent. Would I put them behind a Puch Maxi and go zipping around? Hell no. My average speed with the Solex is around 10-12 mph. It's really no faster than a regular bicycle, but it's a hell of a lot easier! It's no more dangerous than me pulling them in the trailer behind a regular bicycle is the way I look at it.

Regarding the exhaust, a Solex really puts out a negligible amount of exhaust any way since the exhaust outlet is about the size of a pencil. Also,with it way up front, it pretty much just blows away before it gets to them.

I got a Puch Maxi with a bike trailer and test rode it up and down the street and it rode like there was nothing back there, except it took 2 or 3 mph off of top speed. I have not rode it other than that, but i might have to start using it, since it might be my best Puch that will run. I might take a picture of the hitch and/or trailer, if you need to see how it looks.

with Solex, the exhaust fumes are yours to savor

ahhh...

yeah, id like to see the hitch especially.

Hey, it was Dustin!

I remembered the trailer, but not who had built it:

"original post":https://www.mopedarmy.com/forums/discuss/read.php?f=1&i=290761&t=290564

yeah, speed + a trailer are scary. i haven't ridden that bike in a while now, especially with the trailer. the bike alone is scary as hell now... it's like 300 lbs, has a motorcycle engine in it and has stock 4" drum brakes.

i'm building something else that should be able to tow it pretty easily.

oh yeah, forgot to mention that my trailer's axle disconnects, and the wheels are mounted on fence hinges, so it folds down like so:

in order to hang it on the wall.

nice. i love that old military colou.r

if you have a welder and need somthin to hook a hitch up to make somthin like this.

(see attachment)

1231473946_ped_hauler..jpg

i just said i wouldn't. i certainly wasn't making a judgement call about your parenting.

your point is taken about the solex. i suppose i can probably pedal my jawa faster than that thing could go.

Charles Cole (OFMC) /

Gotta LOVE it! I use a trailer all the time. One that's converted from a kiddie pusher trike, with the front wheel removed. And the other that one of my neighbors gave to me for doing yardwork. I get thumbs up all over town cause I'm beating the system. The hitch was also given to me, from a Honda car linkage from under the hood somewhere.

I sold this homeless kid a moto guzzi robin 2 years ago and put a burly trailer on it and loaded all his earthly possessions in it and lived out it under a bridge for almost a year until the ped and trailer were both stolen while he was hiking in the mountains.

I also bought a bike from this old man in denver that has a hercules eagle that he has geared down to top out at about 20 that he uses to tow his aluminum fishing boat, he has a normal hitch on it similar to the one above.

Do it, I plan to this summer for a grocery getter.

Ohh my Guzzi, thats a good story Derek.

my dad just sent me these pictures:

very nice..

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account