Update on my Puch

Brandon E /

After trying phosphorc acid (or something that supposedly had phosphoric acid in it), all kinds of scrubbing techniques, and digging rags out of the tank due to failed scrubbing techniques, i finally decided to just sandblast the cursed thing. I know it's a bad deal to have sand in a gas tank, as it dissolves into the gas, but I was at my absolute wit's end. I used a combination of compressed air and shop-vac to clean out the sand, tomorrow I'm gonna rinse it with gas and I'll just use a fuel filter from now on. But the tank doesn't have the rust scale deposits on it anymore so hooray for the good guys! Oh, and I also bought a Biturbo pipe. Now all it needs is some Black Flag and Dead Kennedys stickers to complete the beautification end of things. Oh, and Fifteen stickers, too. Also, I just skipped using the Kreem i got for the tank, because the tank has to be removed to apply it, which means stripping it down to the frame, and the wiring is a nightmare just removing the forks. But I think it's ready to go soon. I can't wait till spring.

Struggling to find my way around doing things the right way always,

Brandon E

Re: Update on my Puch

ooh, not sand in the gas tank. for future reference, did you just try putting some bolts in the gast tank w/ a bit of unmixed gas and sloshing that around? that works great.

oh, wait ... is yours a gas tank built into the frame? if so ... never mind.

i hope your moped turns out looking mad cool.

swarm and destroy.

Ron Brown /

Brandon,

Whatever works for you is good!

The filter will keep any remaining sand out of the engine.

Next time you think you have Phosphoric acid, put some in a jar and drop a piece of rusty steel in it to get an idea of the action and whether you need to dilute it or get something stronger.

Roll on spring.

Ron

Brandon E /

Actually, I tried the stuff on a piece of thick exhaust tubing with some surface rust and after about an hour the rust wiped off clean. Then it had no effect on the tank.

My sand blasting method was kind of creative. I put a rubber hose on the end of the sandblaster to get at the back of the tank. Then, I stuck a bolt in the end and drilled a few holes around the side of the hose, to make it spray at a right angle to the hose to get the sides of the tank. Kind of like a sprinkler head.

Ron Brown /

Brandon,

I like your ingenuity, but your acid solution was definitely weak.

Ron

I tried that phosphoric acid on a pan muffler I had. Got the pure acid at Meijer in the pool cleaning section. It smoked like hell and oozed this green toxic waste looking stuff, but it sure cleaned my muffler. But the guy at the store warned me. Every second the metal touches air after this acid reacts with it will begin to rust it. So you have to paint it immediately.

My point being, after you clean your tank out with whatever it might be a good idea to put some kind of gas proof paint on it to insure that it doesn

Ron Brown /

Dave,

You are right about the rusting but most gas tanks come right from the factory with no plating inside. If you use the vehicle regularly and keep gas in it, corrosion does not seem to be a big problem. This is especially true if you use premix.

It does not hurt, to try to use gas with 10% alcohol from time to time, or add a little dry gas to remove any water that finds its way into the tank.

Ron

Cuising the driveway

Brandon E /

HmmHmmHmmHahahahahahahahaha! I took the newport for a ride today, all the way up to the top of the driveway! the roads have about 6 inches of mud on them so I just rode it up and down the driveway a few times. Big fun! I just hope the fuel mix is right. The measuring cup on the gas cap says on one side 50:1 two stroke oil mix and on the other side it says 25:1 oil mix (engine oil). I'm just running the 2 stroke 50:1 oil mix and a lead substitute, because i think motor oil would foul the plug in a hurry. Am i supposed to be running 2 kinds of oil at the same time or does it mean one or the other? Oh, and it runs good. I don't know if i'd say great, but it was cold. Started right away, well, after i remembered to switch the ignition on.

Swarming and Destroying (in my yard)

Brandon E

Re: Cuising the driveway

Brandon:

Yeah, I've made the silly ignition mistake many a time ...

On the oil thing, just use regular gasoline for cars and add about 2.6 to 2.8 ounces of two-stroke oil for every gallon. That's what most of us run. Best thing to do is to premix it in a gallon container (or more, but just multiply 2.6 by the number of gallons, of course). Mixing in the fule tank is a bit of a hassle, since you'd have to shake the moped around to get it mixed.

I usually just take my gas container to the gas station and fill up (I have a two gallon and two one gallon containers). Then get home and add the right ammount of oil. Hold the can and shake it w/ a few turns of the wrist, then put it into the gas tank.

The advantage of this is that you don't have to run your moped dry to then add more fuel. It's all premixed and ready to go. When I run out of the mixed gas at home (last time I top off my tank), I ride down and buy more gas and go home and premix. You can also use a small two-stroke container (after empty) to carry around a quart or so of ail. Since that's a quarter tank of gas, that's enough to get you home. It's a great thing for emergencies (either your own or someone else's).

Ron Brown /

Brandon,

Listen to Miguel on the oil and scratch rhe lead substitute, it protects valves and your ped has none.

Ron

Brandon E /

It has a sticker on the tank that says "do not use unleaded gas" I thought maybe it had something to do with protecting the cylinder walls. but I suppose 2 stroke oils have come a long way since 1977.

Ron Brown /

Brandon,

Far be it from mr to argue with a tank sticker, but I can't imagine what the lead in gasoline would do for a 2 stroke. In a four stroke, it protected the valve seats from impact erosion and I think it lubed the valve stems to some extent.

Fred, where are you?

We need your 2 cents worth here.

Ron

Brandon E /

Well, If everyone else runs unleaded with no problems...

Brandon E

P.S. I had an idea to make saddlebags out of old bowling ball bags. Anyone else think of a good cargo system?

Bowling for (no) dollars.

I like you guys who think up new ideas for functional devices, especially if the mod is dirt cheap.

And I love that idea of bowling bags... just make a wire hoop under support that goes under the bag, up the side of the ped, over the top, and down the other side.

A great source of stiff wire are those election signs local politicians put all over the place.. wait till the day after the election, and go out and round up 20 of them.

You'll have to do a bit of welding maybe.

Then you can rattlecan paint the bags.

Re: Bowling for (no) dollars.

Brandon E /

As far as attaching the bowling bags, i find wire unreliable for holding things together. I was thinking of just wrapping a small belt around the rat trap and through one handle on each bowling bags. No need to paint, either, because I have 2 tan bowling bags and my Puch is beige (or champaigne as the upper-class folk say) Every time I go to the thrift store I pick up bowling balls and bags if they have them (for an uphill street bowling league a friend and I are starting, but that's another story).

No Lead needed

I've said this before.

But you don't need any of that stuff.

No lead additive.

No racing gas (in a stock motor).

No octane booster.

Moped motors are so low performance (in the US) that none of that stuff is necessary.

It's a waste of time and money.

I do recommend using a bit of fuel treatment, only because ped carbs have such tiny orifices that they get clogged easily.. like I said before, even with a fuel filter I have to clean my dang PA50 carb twice a year... which wouln't be so bad if it was easier to get at.

I can provide scientific proof if anybody wants to argue.

I think they put those warnings on there back when everybody freaked out when unleaded gas was introduced.

Rather than test reliability with a "new" fuel, they just specified the "old" fuel because they knew there was no problem with the old.

And I believe you will only find that on Euro peds, not Jap ones.

And the Japs have outstanding engineering (in general).

A modern high performance 2 stroke dirtbike says right on it to use UNLEADED.

I didn't say for holding it together... I meant... to make a "frame" supporting the bottom and back of the bags... and just attach the bags to the wire frame with whatever you want.

The wire "frame" would be like a wire shopping cart construction, with several "rungs", for support.

You definitely don't want the bags hanging from their handles.

You want them supported.

Brandon E /

Now I get it. I'll see what i can come up with and post some pictures.

Re: No Lead needed

Ron Brown /

Fred,

79 Motobecane says unleaded only, the idea that no lead had not been tested makes sense,

Thanks

Ron

Stee-rike!

Brandon E /

Here's some pictures of what bowling ball saddlebags look like. These right now aren't permanently attached, I just tied them on for photographing purposes. I hope the attachment works.

I personally like the way they look. You could put a lot of things in there, tools, oil, beat-down apparati, spare parts, or... bowling balls.

saddlebags.gif
« Go to Topic — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account