I think I'm going to be glad...

that I decided to inspect the transmission on my sachs. I drained the oil and pulled the cover off last night and what came out was a reddish brown and was kind of thick. I got some on my hands and the smell was that of gear lube, like what you put in old car transmissions. I haven't had much experience with ATF, but I'm pretty sure it's thinner than gear lube and it doesn't smell like gear lube. I went and picked some up this morning I popped the cap open and it didn't smell like gear lube. I guess I'll try to clean up the inside, I've got a bottle of carb cleaner, would it hurt to use that to clean out the inside of the transmission area?

guess this turned into a slight repair question...

Re: I think I'm going to be glad...

I wouldn't use solvents, they tend to linger and break down new oils.

It probably uses gear oil, find the specs before replacing it, I don't have a listing for that. Several changes will clean it out.

you want atf in that, the wet clutch system needs it. just let it drain for a couple days in a warm spot. Once you fill it with ATF you can run it for a bit and then change the fluid again. The remaining oil should be mixed in with the tranny fluid then. Motorbikenut is right, stay away from solvents, I'd hate to have it disintegrate the clutch material.

true, I guess I'll just wipe it out the best I can with a paper towel. and fill it, run it, then replace it. thanks for the tip. I love this site.

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account