simply your mechanic approach

Miguel /
This single post is part of a larger thread. Start from the top or view this post in context.

dave:

i just read your past posts ... and i'm a bit worried that you might be damaging your ped. please bear w/ me, i mean no disrespect.

the hacking off the muffler, will lead you to trouble. so might the drilling out of the jet.

i think ree and ron and the others had it right to take the repair thing slower. here's my advice (mind you, i'm not an expert at all and i'm only familiar w/ a minarelli engine).

the best place to start a repair is w/ the carburator, as others suggested. take it off, and clean it. don't mess w/ drilling jets unless some told you to. everyone tells me it's such a bad idea. besides, you don't really need a bigger jet ... my ped runs faster w/ a 49 than w/ a 62.5. so go figure. most people in the moped army prefer 52 or thereabouts. i'm using a 55, but will switch to a 52 soon, since it'll give me more top speed (i'm pretty sure of that).

so clean the carburator thoroughly. check the float, it might not be a tight seal. also, check the petcock to be sure plenty of fuel is going in (also be sure your inline fuel filter is clean; put one on if you don't have one). doing those things takes me about 15-20 mins tops and usually solves the problem.

if that doesn't fix it, then you move on to tougher things. if the moped starts and all (as i think you imply), then it's not really an engine problem (please someone correct me if i'm wrong here). that means it's probably a fuel problem or something like that. check your idle and throttlw settings in general, that sometimes helps a bit.

if it ran well before ... and i think you mentioned that it did, then just a regular maintenance check should do it. do the simple things first, one at a time, then move on up to harder things. don't do anything drastic until you check w/ the gurus first. from everything i've been told (and warned about), the 2-stroke engine is completely different from anything else. so don't assume your experience (which is, no doubt, quite extensive) will translate easily into this.

my brother is an engineer and designs parts for cars (some of his stuff is on the road and in concept cars at this year's auto show). he knows his way around cars; he rebuilt a camaro when he was 15 for his first car and has been moving up since. he was baffled by my 2-stroke minarelli engine. in terms of general theories of propulstion and such, he can figure it out. but in terms of what to do to fix it ... he left that up to me completely. so, go figure, eh?

anyhow, that's all i can offer you. sorry i can't be of more help.

oh, wait, i do know of something you could've tried for the muffler. here in kalamazoo, we take them off (unsrew, not cut!) and set them on fire. it cleans the carbon out of them really nicely. then we put them back on. if you need a muffler, check on ebay or put in a request on the for sale forum. you might get lucky.

good luck w/ the repair work. don't give up on the moped! you can also try talking to it. my "lucia" seems to do better when i woo her in italian. ;-)

This single post is part of a larger thread. Start from the top or view this post in context.
Subject Written By Posted
  I'm starting to hate my 'ped.Topic by: david f martin david f martin 03/05/01 09:48PM
  Re: I'm starting to hate my 'ped.Re: Miguel Miguel 03/05/01 11:01PM
  simply your mechanic approachRe: Miguel Miguel 03/05/01 11:17PM
  Re: simply your mechanic approachRe: Doug D Doug D 03/05/01 11:57PM
  Re: simply your mechanic approachRe: Jim C. Jim C. 03/06/01 12:18AM
  Re: simply your mechanic approachRe: Doug D Doug D 03/06/01 12:59AM
  Re: simply your mechanic approachRe: david f martin david f martin 03/06/01 12:35AM
  Re: I'm starting to hate my 'ped.Re: Fred Fred 03/06/01 12:17AM
  Re: I'm starting to hate my 'ped.Re: david f martin david f martin 03/06/01 12:56AM
  Re: I'm starting to hate my 'ped.Re: Fred Fred 03/06/01 02:21AM
  Meant to askRe: Fred Fred 03/06/01 02:22AM
  Re: Meant to askRe: Miguel Miguel 03/06/01 02:45AM
  Re: I'm starting to hate my 'ped.Re: Ron Brown Ron Brown 03/06/01 11:00AM
  Re: I'm starting to hate my 'ped.Re: Reeperette Reeperette 03/06/01 02:16PM
  Re: I'm starting to hate my 'ped.Re: david f martin david f martin 03/06/01 08:30PM
  Get a Divorce !Re: dave2 dave2 03/08/01 03:58PM
  Re:Give it a enema and aspirinRe: DOUG D DOUG D 03/08/01 04:03PM
  Re:Give it a enema and aspirinRe: Ron Brown Ron Brown 03/08/01 05:20PM

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account