I'm starting to hate my 'ped.

david f martin /
This single post is part of a larger thread. Start from the top or view this post in context.

Back again. I've been keeping you posted, so here's the latest. Saturday, I tried running some 2-stroke oil in the gas, thinking that maybe the oil injection pump wasn't putting out. I wound up having to limp back home and took the half day off from work. I dumped the gas, put some fresh in, couldn't test drive it because of the rain. Yesterday, I had to watch my sister's kids, so I didn't get a chance to work on it.

I drove it to work this morning, and had to help it up the worst hill on the way. Took a 2 hour lunch to work on it...

Completely disassembled the carb, cleaned it inside and out, put an inline fuel filter on it, reinstalled (with stock jet)... Still ran like shit. Ok, maybe I need to try to get it closer to stock, as much as possible...

Covered all the holes in the aircleaner I'd drilled previously. Found a restricter for the pipe that was only slightly bigger than the original tailpipe. Pulled the cylinder head, cleaned it and the top of the piston with a soft brass bristled brush till they looked like new. Set the plug gap on the high end of spec. Checked the compression with my fingertip...

On the way home, I had to push it up a hill. It was getting dark, it was windy and cold, during the tail end of rush hour traffic. I wound up pulling over, took the restricter out of the tailpipe, pulled the aircleaner (completely), and practically dragged it home. I pushed it hard down the hills, almost hoping it would just self-destruct, the little bike making deafening popping noises as it 4-cycled thru the straight pipe. Going up the hills, I had to push it along as I cursed it loudly...

Before you jump to conclusions about me, you should know that I am used to working on temperamental antique machines (in fact, this 17 year old bike is the newest machine I own). I don't get mad when I'm working underneath an old VW, and a piece of 30 year old crud falls into my eyes. I'm used to busted knuckles and rusty bolts and things falling apart. I just take it all in stride. In fact, I'm one of those few mechanics who rarely ever curse (and usually when I do, it is quietly at myself for overlooking the obvious, not at the machine).

I put a lot of love into this machine. I've decorated her with jewelry and surplus army gear, bought her lots of new parts, bought the shop manual, taken time off from work to fix her up, patiently fixed flat tires (once in the rain, even), brushed aside jokes and snide remarks about her in good humor.

Now I'm starting to lose the love.

My only remaining idea (and I feel like I'm groping in the dark here) is that my battery is weak (maybe dead). I thought that the magneto alone powered the ignition, and the battery condition was unrelated to how the bike runs, but now I'm wondering if maybe it is the reason I can't get any RPMs out of it... Not enough juice to produce a spark fast enough?...

I could use a few wise words from you gurus...

david

This single post is part of a larger thread. Start from the top or view this post in context.
Subject Written By Posted
  I'm starting to hate my 'ped.Topic by: david f martin david f martin 03/05/01 09:48PM
  Re: I'm starting to hate my 'ped.Re: Miguel Miguel 03/05/01 11:01PM
  simply your mechanic approachRe: Miguel Miguel 03/05/01 11:17PM
  Re: simply your mechanic approachRe: Doug D Doug D 03/05/01 11:57PM
  Re: simply your mechanic approachRe: Jim C. Jim C. 03/06/01 12:18AM
  Re: simply your mechanic approachRe: Doug D Doug D 03/06/01 12:59AM
  Re: simply your mechanic approachRe: david f martin david f martin 03/06/01 12:35AM
  Re: I'm starting to hate my 'ped.Re: Fred Fred 03/06/01 12:17AM
  Re: I'm starting to hate my 'ped.Re: david f martin david f martin 03/06/01 12:56AM
  Re: I'm starting to hate my 'ped.Re: Fred Fred 03/06/01 02:21AM
  Meant to askRe: Fred Fred 03/06/01 02:22AM
  Re: Meant to askRe: Miguel Miguel 03/06/01 02:45AM
  Re: I'm starting to hate my 'ped.Re: Ron Brown Ron Brown 03/06/01 11:00AM
  Re: I'm starting to hate my 'ped.Re: Reeperette Reeperette 03/06/01 02:16PM
  Re: I'm starting to hate my 'ped.Re: david f martin david f martin 03/06/01 08:30PM
  Get a Divorce !Re: dave2 dave2 03/08/01 03:58PM
  Re:Give it a enema and aspirinRe: DOUG D DOUG D 03/08/01 04:03PM
  Re:Give it a enema and aspirinRe: Ron Brown Ron Brown 03/08/01 05:20PM

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account