Illegal to ride in Baltimore

kory /
This single post is part of a larger thread. Start from the top or view this post in context.

It has been brought to my attention that mopeds are no longer a legal form of transportation in Baltimore. This, as far as I understand it to be, is a result of drug dealers using kids on dirt bikes to make deliveries. So now, any vehicle which is not registered is illegal, yet the MVA refuses to register mopeds. Below is a copy of an e-mail I sent to a member of the Baltimore City Council. Although I live in Seattle, I feel this is my business, because this particular city government has taken away the choice to commute in whatever safe manner they may wish to use based on a totally non-related issue. If this city government is allowed to get away with this, it could set a precedent that could spread to other governments, in other regions. So, without further adoo, here is the text that was sent to the council member:

Dear Councilman Adamo,

I recently discovered that mopeds are illegal in Baltimore. This seems quite absurd to me. A moped in it's design is perfect for driving in the city. I live in Seattle, and I consider my moped to be my primary source of transportation. It is quite excellent for getting around, while reducing the amount of fuel I consume considerably. I also know of many other people who rely on mopeds and scooters as their primary mode of transportation. I think that enforcing such strict legislation goes against everything that we as a society strive to be. It takes away the choice of the commuter to travel how he/she so desires, and requires them to travel in a manner approved by legislation. I could understand if mopeds were a vehicle which was deemed "unsafe". As far as I have understood it to be that is not the case. Mopeds seem to have been "outlawed" as a result of issues having nothing to do with their safety. This seems ridiculous. It is as if the moped is being blamed for a problem which the moped itself did not cause. Not only that, but the people who have exercised their right to choose have been punished because their choice was a moped over a car, or even a motorcycle. How can it make any sense to eliminate the choice to use a moped, but not the choice to use a motorcycle. In my opinion mopeds are even safer than motorcycles. They lack the horsepower of a motorcycle, limiting the speed at which they can travel tremendously.

In summation, I feel that it is wrong to take away a mode of transportation which some people rely on. I agree that moped commuters are a small minority, but if we took away every freedom that was only embraced by a minority, then we would no longer have any diversity, or freedom at all, for that matter. Also, to try to solve a non-moped problem by imposing legislation restricting moped access to the city seems to be a waste of governmental resources. I am sure that the City Council can address problems in a more direct fashion, without wrongfully taking away the free choices that our government was based upon.

Sincerely,

Kory Kruckenberg

Seattle, WA

indiarubber@hotmail.com

This single post is part of a larger thread. Start from the top or view this post in context.
Subject Written By Posted
  Illegal to ride in BaltimoreTopic by: kory kory 10/23/02 05:52AM
  Re: Illegal to ride in BaltimoreRe: Kevin Harrell Kevin Harrell 10/23/02 07:59AM
  Re: Illegal to ride in BaltimoreRe: Wayne Wayne 10/23/02 09:07AM
  Re: Illegal to ride in BaltimoreRe: Lissa Lissa 03/13/08 07:03PM
  Re: Illegal to ride in BaltimoreRe: Steamboat Aka J. R. Stevens Steamboat Aka J. R. Stevens 03/13/08 09:04PM
  Re: Illegal to ride in BaltimoreRe: chuck russo va chuck russo va 10/23/02 10:30AM
  Re: Illegal to ride in BaltimoreRe: Ben Ben 10/23/02 11:18AM
  Re: Illegal to ride in BaltimoreRe: lacie lacie 10/23/02 04:16PM
  You're insane, Lacie...Re: Trike Trike 10/23/02 06:52PM
  Here is one for yu TrikeRe: bizmarc bizmarc 10/23/02 09:38PM
  I bet Trike has one up on youRe: Chris Rice Chris Rice 10/23/02 10:45PM
  the worst I experiencedRe: bizmarc bizmarc 10/24/02 12:12AM
  Oh, and Crisis ?Re: Trike Trike 10/24/02 03:35AM
  Re: Oh, and Crisis ?Re: Chris Rice Chris Rice 10/25/02 02:11AM
  Re: Illegal to ride in BaltimoreRe: InfectedBootSector InfectedBootSector 10/23/02 04:38PM
  Re: Illegal to ride in BaltimoreRe: TJ Miller TJ Miller 10/23/02 05:36PM
  Re: Illegal to ride in BaltimoreRe: Doctor_SHELF Doctor_SHELF 10/23/02 11:18PM
  Re: Illegal to ride in BaltimoreRe: lacie lacie 10/23/02 11:39PM
  Re: Illegal to ride in BaltimoreRe: bizmarc bizmarc 10/24/02 12:14AM
  Nice armament/Yes Crisis.Re: Trike Trike 10/24/02 03:33AM
  Re: Illegal to ride in BaltimoreRe: John Hicks John Hicks 10/24/02 01:34AM
  Re: Oh, and Crisis ?Re: Scott Scott 03/13/08 05:31PM
  Re: Oh, and Crisis ?Re: Rob Rob 10/24/02 07:58PM
  Re: Oh, and Crisis ?Re: kory kory 10/24/02 11:18PM
  Re: Oh, and Crisis ?Re: Gabe Gabe 03/13/08 05:44PM
  Re: Oh, and Crisis ?Re: Steamboat Aka J. R. Stevens Steamboat Aka J. R. Stevens 03/13/08 07:02PM
  Re: Illegal to ride in BaltimoreRe: geners b geners b 03/13/08 07:34PM
  Re: Illegal to ride in BaltimoreRe: sam sam 03/13/08 09:06PM
  Re: Illegal to ride in BaltimoreRe: Lissa Lissa 03/13/08 10:04PM
  5 1/2 year old postRe: Leon Swarmer Leon Swarmer 03/14/08 12:06AM

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account