1980 moby???

My buddy was thinking about picking this up..

http://norfolk.craigslist.org/rvs/973062607.html

I was trying to figure out if parts are tough to find, or if they are even a reliable ped.

Thanks in advance!

Re: 1980 moby???

Get it. You're good on parts. It'll never run reliably like a maxi, but it's sexy and fun. check mine out

They can be tricky to work on, but that's a nice moby! I say go for it but tell him to offer a little less. Maybe tell him to try $450.

Yay, a Moby post today.

It looks pretty nice from the pics, but if you don't know anything about these, you may want to check some things before spending this much money.

Tank rusty?

Is it running now? If not when did it run?

And a whole lot more.

These mopeds are fantastic when running good. A perfect one should get the price he is asking (I know I have paid less for almost perfect).

"it'll never run reliably like a maxi?" no way. I bought a 1976 50v from a friend of mine, it was completely neglected for the last thirty-plus years. I hard-wired it and did a little bit of restoring-- mostly aesthetic; didn't have to replace a thing, just clean, lube, tigthen/locktite some things. I've put maybe 600 miles on it, including long rides. Haven't had a single problem.... and I'm still on the original coil and condenser!

My bike is a fucking work horse... knock on wood.

get it, they're great. Viva La Resistance!

Awesome! Thanks for all the input fellas!

This site is a great source of information.

My buddy is checking it out now and has him talked down to $300. By what has been said here, that's a reasonable price for it.

I really appreciate all the help!

I might end up taking it off his hands just to have something more practical than my chopped up tomos.

hahah, i'm a girl :(

but damn, how'd he talk him down to $300 from $575 when he knows they sell on ebay for "much more" or whatever?

sexual favors?

They can be reliable...I have had awesome luck with them all mine have had stock gurtners that ran well and idled...never replaced a condensor etc...not that some don't need much work many do but when "right" they are wonderful bikes! Best of luck!

you're buddys going to enjoy it f he buys it. I have a 1978 moby and I cant love the thing anymore than I already do. sat for 18 years, cleaned carbm and she roared to life.

Ok,

We went a checked it out. There was a misunderstanding about talking him down. $500 firm. It's in amazing shape though. The guy is the second owned. 1500 miles. Fired up first try. Those things are a trick to get started. 12 different levers and a button. It ran great, so I think I'm going to head back to pick it up.

I love my '79 Moby,

"Here is a link for you to check out":http://www.allworldauto.com/recalls/NHTSA_80V097000_1980_MOTOBECANE_MOBYLETTE_recall_27171.html

Have fun with yours

-Curly

So I picked it up last night and rode it for a solid 3 hours. The tail light ended up going out so I just taped my brake lever in a little bit.(brake light works!)

The motor is in severe need of tightening. It wobbles quite a bit. It's not seated on the washers right. Also, The one side of the bolt for it is seated too far in the bushing for my to get a grip on it. I've got a little bit of work to do I guess.

Awesome bike no less though.

1980 moby???

I like how he says in the ad that they sell for a lot more "online." Dude, you're advertising it on Craigslist - that is "online."

the motors on motobecanes do wobble like crazy even when they are properly tightened down. take a close look and you'll notice it's spring mounted.

a lot of people talk about these french bikes as though they're impossible to work on and tune. they are a little more complicated than a minarelli or puch setup, but imo they're worth it. the motobecane 50v is the cadillac of mopeds, hands down. check out mabecane's page and forums for lot's of useful motobecane specific information.

_Defect Summary: VEHICLES DO NOT CONFORM TO FEDERAL MOTOR VEHICLE SAFETY STANDARD NOS. 108 AND 122, "LAMPS, REFLECTIVE DEVICES, AND ASSOCIATED EQUIPMENT", AND "MOTORCYCLE BRAKE SYSTEMS", RESPECTIVELY. VEHICLES ARE CAPABLE OF SPEEDS IN EXCESS OF 30 MPH ALTHOUGH LIGHTING AND BRAKING SYSTEMS ARE NOT ADEQUATE FOR SAFE OPERATION AT THESE SPEEDS_

_Corrective Summary: VEHICLE WILL BE MODIFIED BY INSTALLING A RING WEDGE BLOCK IN THE AUTOMATIC GEAR CHANGE TO REDUCE THE MAXIMUM ATTAINABLE SPEED_

I love the fact that these were recalled because they were too fast.

'ring wedge block in the automatic gear change'?

what is that? Should I be removing that?

Kelly Jawnzzz /

Maybe yours was purchased before the recall and it's fast as shizzle!!

Mine is 1976 50v... even has the 60km speedo (although it was changed to display mph)... maybe it's before they started restricting shit.

I dunno, it only goes like 30-ish.

the 50v's, like all the motobecanes for the US market, were manufactured in three different speed arrangements. the abbreviations on the fork plate in the 1980 models were different from earlier years; C means it's a 30mph machine, B means 25mph and A means 20mph. the differences were in the carb, intake, ports and transfers (i believe). a larger carb, some port matching (see the wiki) and a performance pipe can make a slow machine into a fast one, or a fast machine into a monster (i've seen 50v's with stock pipes that are ported and have a 15/15 del carb going 40mph).

Wow.

Everytime I check this someone has blown my mind with their knowledge of these mopeds. In most cases more than one person has. Greatly appreciated.

The badge is stamped 4/80 with a C as the restriction.

My buddy followed me and said it was doing a solid 30-32 mph. I'll double check to see if someone answered this next question ,but How would I go about removing the wedge holding me back from big fun? I guess I'll also be on the market for a performance tail pipe, and whatever else to get this thing to really move.

Included is a picture of the moped. I'll have to get a glamour shot during the day time.

Thanks again for all the knowledge!

1230771558_img_1791.jpg

Word!

Nice bike and a red one! My fav moby color! You have one of the best peds ever built, they ride like a dream! They feel much heavier and more stabil than most peds I have tried. I would not bother with a performance pipe, most of them make you have to remove pedals for clearance, see www.mabecanemobylette.com for awesome info. Grease your varriator and best of luck to you! BTW the chrome on these is awesome and will clean up very nicely! Awesome deal have fun!

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account