Mug holder?

Paul Lennon /

Hi everybody. This may seem kind of odd, but has anybody out there ever thought about putting a mug holder on the moped so that you can enjoy a coffee while you ride to work or school or wherever?

I've thought about this quite a bit but the only thing I can find on the web is at

www.glassact.com and I'm not sure if this will fit a moped's handlebars or not... also, it's $50!!! No thanks!

Can anybody think of a good idea to create one...? I'm sure it would be a simple thing to do.. just need to clamp it on to the handlebars some how and have a good sturdy lid.

Has anybody else considered a mug holder for their peds? Or am I completely nuts?

Opinions and comments please!

Cheers!

Re: Mug holder?

I believe if you do a search for Honda Gold Wing (motorcycle) accessories you will find such an animal.

Though my preference would be for just a round hoop that you could simply slip a generic insulated capped mug into.... the mug is only $1.50 US... you could roll your own metal hoop and mount it very simply to the bars.

Are you related to John Lennon ?... :)

Funny you mention this..my moped came with one..well not exactly. Theres like a round hole where the speedometer is supposed to go. i dont have a speedometer, so my coffee travel mug fits there nicely..i just love the looks you get when the people in cars see you sipping coffee at a stop...

J.C. Whitney shows one in there catalog. www.jcwhitney.com for $3.99

cat # 06FY2805U

gimmiejimmie /

some suggestions:

one of those helmets that has a can holder on each side, like you see at frat parties and sporting events, painted day glo orange for maximum safety/visibilty

gov. surplus canteen on the left side of a waist belt, with a pee bottle on the right side (i know what coffee does to me)

bota bag

water bottle holder mounted to frame (see warning below)

warning!.... my brother-in-law mounted a cup holder on his lawn mower so he could haul a beer, but the mounting screws were too long and put a hole in the gas tank, also, the mower vibrated so bad, it shook all the beer out anyhow. what a dumb ass. (not you paul, my bro-in-law)

Hey, Good IDEA! I had a pontoon boat that had holders and would swiver so my beer would not spill, they was very reasonable priced.Wouldn`t take much to modify.

I've found that wedging the mug betweent the headlight and the U lock around the handlebars is pretty sturdy, but the first couple times I tried it, I didn't have a sealed mug so coffee bounced out and all over my headlight, me, my moped, and most worrisome, the cables on my bike. My 'ped doesn't have shocks, so I was one unhappy camper by the time I arrived at work.

Since then I've switched to using a jar or hanging it off my backpack. A friend has one of those backpacks that crosses over her chest, and she takes a few sips before hooking it into her jacket and securing it in place with the straps. She says it works great as long as she doesn't lean over. This wire thing sounds like a good idea though. I might try to rig that up this summer. I'd say this is a topic that a goodly number of people have given some thought to.

good luck!

gimmiejimmie /

carrie wrote:

"that crosses over her chest, and she takes a few sips before hooking it into her jacket and securing it in place with the straps. She says it works great as long as she doesn't lean over."

A mug between the juggs, sounds good to me!

gimmiejimmie /

carrie wrote:

"that crosses over her chest, and she takes a few sips before hooking it into her jacket and securing it in place with the straps. She says it works great as long as she doesn't lean over."

A mug between the juggs, sounds good to me!

You're awful. It is pretty funny though. But I'm not telling you who it is, although you might be able to guess.

Reeperette /

Well, I used to ride from Baltimore to Annapolis on Sundays on my old Tomos Golden Bullet TT LX.

There is a very long stretch of flat, smooth pavement along the way, and with a little tinkering, I built a friction-lock cruise control from my ped - it would come off if you hit a bump, but otherwise..

Anyhow, one day I decided to be a smartass and bought the ole burger/fries/drink combo from McD's and wedged the cardboard drink tray in between the handlebars, resting on the speedometer.

Don't try this at home kiddies.

So here I was, rolling along at about 38Mph, enjoyin lunch on the run with the cruise control locked, and kickin steppenwolf out of the boombox bungeed to my cargo rack - it was kinda neat, and prolly quite interesting to watch.

-Ree

gimmiejimmie /

Ree,

I bet you went through the drive-through too!

The Moped WareHouse on NJ /

Here is the problem with the mug holder. A few years back they were common in magazines like jc whitney and Deinnis Kirk catalogues. But, you guessed, it the manufacturer was sued by someone who had scolded themselves while driving on a hyway drinking hot cofee or some other liquid. Actually 2 different people sued the company but the other person lost his case as the mug holder he was using was a standard insulated model but the guy using the electrically heated model won a huge judgement against the company. The court ruled that since that model of cup holder actually produced heat to keep the beverage warm versus simply retaing the heat by insulating it that It had infact generated the scolding liquid and was liable for dammages. It is a shame that a few sue happy people keep Ideas like thais from getting off the ground.

Chris

The moped mwarehosue

www.mopedwarehouse.com

gimmiejimmie /

What's the world coming to?

It's getting to a point where someone will sue themselves for a stupid act,

AND WIN!

Reeperette /

Yep yep...tho I have had a couple places assume it was kids steppin on the cable and yell at me, to which I asked if they'd like me to buy from somewhere else.

I DO get some weird looks when I go through the drive thrus tho.

-Ree

Ron Brown /

I had a customer who came close.

One of his clients was a bartender and when his shift ended, he got a flat while driving home. One of the customers he had been serving hit him while he was changing the wheel so he sued the bar for over serving the drunk.

He won too.

Ron

2 Words.....Duct Tape.

The Handymans secret weapon

david f martin /

I have a cupholder on my bike.

Go to WalMart, to the camping supplies, and look for a stainless steel cup with a wire handle. Cost about 4 bucks. I hooked the handle over the handlebars and secured it to the gooseneck with a hoseclamp. Take some black tape and put a racing stripe on it.

david

Paul Lennon /

Well, thanks everybody for all the great ideas!

Can't wait for spring!!!

Anybody have any more ideas lately?

« Go to Topic — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account