Any californian RC helicopter nerds here?

if so,

do you want to come to the polini cup mopeds races next year? i am looking into options to get a 136 gram camera up into the air. so far everything is either too expensive, too fragile or too hard to control.

im thinking the best bet at this point would be to find someones with a 500+ electric or nitro helicopter with experience flying it to just come to the race and operate it. all i would need is for you to fly around the track during the races and i would fade in and out of that camera angle on the live broadcast.

i would be happy to pay for your gas money or do anything i can to convince you to come.

its either that or someone gives me 15k for one of these bitches.

Re: Any californian RC helicopter nerds here?

I was just thinking about this. My place in KC has a nice deck and would be a great place to have a camera to take photos or video. The are just too out of my price range to get into something like that. But it is a great idea to see if anyone has them. Crossed finger...

I was toying around with a camera in my rc plane.

A plane would make a much better platform for video.

A much higher cargo capacity and much longer flights.

Too bad I wasnt closer I would put something together.

Except a plane can't stay in one place so you're wasting a lot of your time in the air turning around. Really what you need is one of the big diesel or gasoline helis, those can fly for hours. I'm an RC pilot but I'm on the east coast. Here's me flying. I've flown helis with blades as small as 1' diameter and as large as 6' diameter. I work with computer controled helicopters.

1228519523_noah_dragonus_051807.jpg

no groms no blasters /

whatever it is, it's got to be in the air for 15-20 minutes, right?

wait, harold, what about the mopedtv laser Zeppelin?

Not really, Steve. If he's just going to fade in and out, it could be up for shorter bursts. Definitely be cooler if it was there for an entire race, but watching the whole thing from one angle would get boring.

it would be really cool if it worked out. someone who is actually good at flying them could get some really insanely sweet shots.

would want the guy to be able to switch back and forth between 2 cameras. one for broadcasting (640x480) and one for recording (720p). cant do both at the same time unless you got some super chopper.

either way i think i got a good chance of finding a moped dude (likes to work on small engines) who is also a helicopter dude (likes to work on really small engines) on this site. so where u at mysterious cali dwelling rotor jockey?

no groms no blasters /

try looking for RC clubs or calling RC stores in the area.

yeah but they gonna want lotso monies and think its dumb. i guess i could go that route if i had to but a moped dude would be stoked to come to the races anyway =)

mandy panda /

Totally agreeing noah, on the plane thing. But I also think that a hoverer or a floater could be like watching the Olympic marathon race from a balloon. A manouverable heli might be the thing.

I know nothing technical about this, but my GF's dad used to be a pretty good RC plane builder and flyer. He used a small video camera on the underside of his kit-built planes with a small controller for moving the camera and changing the angle.

Mostly though used his flying ability. He was a licensed pilot but was color-blind so they wouldn't let him fly. But he knew how to swoop and buzz the action, so you know he crashed ten planes and trashed another six cameras getting it down.

My favorite plane was the yellow submarine. It was orange and yellow (told you he was color blind) and built like a fat cargo plane with those Yellow Submarine-type scallops on the wings, with a big belly for the camera mounts and slow as hell. It flew a lot better without the camera. Four foot of wing. I still have it. Instead of following the race, he would pick intersects at cycle or car rallies and do front backand sides and then edit it. You can probably do a lot more with six feet of fourblades, so as he says the only thing you have to think about about how fast you are compared to the riders and how to compensate to get good shots.

Don't buy at the local hobby shop- recruit!

Someone would be into it - they get to show off.

bumparoo

Why dont you just rent a lift and have someone in the lift with a camera for those shots? Rc helo sounds cool but you can crash and burn literally.

Pablo Puchasso /

Yeah. A cherrypicker would work.

i guess that is a possibility but you are forgetting i am trying to not spend money on something that doesnt make me any money =P

I hear ya. Good luck.

no groms no blasters /

I bet puddle cutter mikebartell is right. some dude with a helicopter would probably do this for the cost of fuel in order to be able to put his talents to practical use. If it gets closer and you've got nothing, I'd be happy to put up a flyer for you in the Sacramento RC shops.

Harold,

Just a thought - get an RC magazine to test fly a model at your event to cover the races. My brother reviews planes and helicopters (mainly planes) and they give him free models all the time.

Even if its a loaner, its almost free for them to get a review and cool footage. Wrap your brain around a double - hobby cross pollinization type business proposal - something where no money changes hands and you host the reporter / reviewer. Also, you are getting different coverage for different groups, it could work.

You might be able to tie in the whole 50 cc / 2 stroke thing. My brother's 1/2 scale planes are 50 cc - 8 hp monsters. Write me and I'll send you his contact info. He won't be able to do it, but he knows everyone.

Just a thought.

RC blimp? http://www.raidentech.com/rarecorcblrc.html How about a shit load of balloons? You could make a cross out of bolsa wood and pan it like a reverse puppet. Just have to practice with getting your angle right. And pray there's no wind. It would be cheap if you already have a camera.

What happened to that Johnny Five robot that you had harold?

Also. I think if you made a little track all the way around the racetrack, about 10-15 feet in the air and used some sort of remote control car that you took apart and rigged to the track, you could have someone tracking from a consistent angle,

not as cool I know, but probably inexpensive, and less apt to get in the way of riding by accident.

or make a sky cam like for a football game...

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account