Re: Winter gear: polypropylene and layers.

black twingle /
This single post is part of a larger thread. Start from the top or view this post in context.

Yeah, this stuff is great, but watch out for one thing - you can mostly clean synthetic fabrics like these, but they start to develop a weird smell after a lot of use.

Bicycle people love the stuff - it "wicks" moisture away from your skin to keep you dry, and doesn't lose it's thermal insulation benefits when wet - but they also know that it starts to stink after a while.

I've got some synthetic winter gear, but I mostly use piles of wool garments - old sweaters and pants picked up on consignment, new wool socks, etc - and it works just as well as synthetics. It tears more easily and some people find it scratchy, but you can use and wash it basically forever.

+++

The one thing that I haven't managed to go full-wool, or full-natural-fabrics on is gloves. I use wool-lined leather gloves until it gets to a certain temperature, and then have to switch to synthetic pogies. I've got wool mittens, but line them with plastic on really cold days.

Full disclosure: it hasn't dropped below 20F here yet. Below 15 degrees Fahrenheit alkaline batteries stop working and tears freeze - way to maintain, Colorado peeps!

This single post is part of a larger thread. Start from the top or view this post in context.

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account