Winter gear: polypropylene and layers.

Maybe its just that it's dry in Colorado, but I've been riding down to about 16F without significant issue this year. I'd done this in the past, but it always involved multiple pairs of long underwear, and like, a million jackets.

Thanks to Johno, I got some of this Polypropylene stuff from the surplus store, and pretty much wear it all the time now.

You can find kids sizes for super cheap, currently @ 6' 180ish, Im wearing kids XL, a whole 15bucks at our local surplus.

http://www.travelcountry.com/shop/terramar/kids/terramar-polypropylene-pants-kids.html?RefId=29&RefType=Affiliate

I think they only have mediums left at that link, but little Ry fits into those, and he's taller than my shoulder. The things stretch like mad, and they're under your cool pants anyways.

I'm surviving with Polyprop. Shirt (tall sized, so I can tuck it in), pants. Carhardt pants, wool sweater, vinal jacket, snowboard gloves, regular socks, Smartwool snowboarding socks, and combat boots.

And full face, of course, because ice is a bitch.

But seriously, the only part of me that gets cold out there anymore is my toes, and I'm saving pennies to get some Polyprop. socks. Having to keep the full face open is kinda a drag, it fogs up a ton, but your breath keeps your face parts from compleatly freezing.

Best part is that I don't feel the need to strip down when I get to my destination, nobody knows I'm geared up for a moderate expidition, and it's designed to be active in, so it doesn't suffocate you.

It's good shit (and waterproof, portland/seatle). You should get some if you're gona keep riding, and haven't done so already.

Re: Winter gear: polypropylene and layers.

I made some mitts to cover the controls on my ped and run with a set of insulated bibs keeps me commuting even when its cold, just have to watch out for ice morn/eve. I will put up photos if people are curious.

Dude, through a Balaclava under your full face. Works like a charm.

We dont really get 16 degree weather here, so now I feel like a pussy thinking it is cold haha.

Yeah, this stuff is great, but watch out for one thing - you can mostly clean synthetic fabrics like these, but they start to develop a weird smell after a lot of use.

Bicycle people love the stuff - it "wicks" moisture away from your skin to keep you dry, and doesn't lose it's thermal insulation benefits when wet - but they also know that it starts to stink after a while.

I've got some synthetic winter gear, but I mostly use piles of wool garments - old sweaters and pants picked up on consignment, new wool socks, etc - and it works just as well as synthetics. It tears more easily and some people find it scratchy, but you can use and wash it basically forever.

+++

The one thing that I haven't managed to go full-wool, or full-natural-fabrics on is gloves. I use wool-lined leather gloves until it gets to a certain temperature, and then have to switch to synthetic pogies. I've got wool mittens, but line them with plastic on really cold days.

Full disclosure: it hasn't dropped below 20F here yet. Below 15 degrees Fahrenheit alkaline batteries stop working and tears freeze - way to maintain, Colorado peeps!

Perfekt Timing Angel /

Wool FTW.

Also, jackets that can break the wind (yea, you know what I mean).

14F, here we come!

Wool is awesome, its just hard to deal with when it gets wet.

And anything over my face gets the glasses all fogged, I use that cat crap stuff on goggles and stuff, but it never works well enough.

As long as I can get it cheap, I'm not too worried about the smell. I know you can't wash them in warm water, or dry them, but you're suppose to be able to do a cold wash.

Nothing in my life requires me to not be smelly anyways.

wool is amazing because its warm even when wet, same with polypro.

remember kids: cotton kills.

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account