Sachs G3, what can you tell me about it?

I am going to buy this G3 from a friend, is there anything you guys can tell me about it? How fast can I expect it to go, what kind of cheap easy upgrades can I do? I don't want to "kit" it, I don't think. Can you tell what kind of engine this is by looking at the pics?

I'm psyched and can't wait to meet up with some of the GR guys this summer down at Founders!

Re: Sachs G3, what can you tell me about it?

Oh thats a piece of shit, just box it up and ship to me...email me....

Seriously, Uhm not so common bike, I love Sachs, others dont, its red, it has a top tank, you need to start researching kits...

Matt Scout The Scouting Dcon /

Sachs G3, Engine is a Sachs 505-1/D, which is the fast and powerful Sachs engine. Most bikes with these motors will do ~35 no problem and usually have a lot of torque so they are good hill climbers. Upgrades I am not so certain about because you don't hear about many of them. About the best you can do would be an expansion exhaust that could get you playing around 40 or so, after that you're looking at a kit. Nice find, it looks like it is in excellent shape! You'll like the Ghost Riders, great bunch. They still are meeting every Monday down at Founders, I bet some are even still riding. A few of us from Kzoo come up some nights too.

the g3 is the most solid ped you can buy!

germans made good stuff

thanks a lot guys, I'm very appreciative for the information. i'm glad to hear that it will break 30 MPH! ;) That's about all I would really want out of it anyway.

good.

They are heavy, tough, well made, comfortable , nice bikes with the 505/d but trying to make performance machines out of em is hard , mainly due to the clutch and the parts availiablily. There are kits..

but if you wanted to have one super cool bike to ride stock and do 30 on and just be reliable and super nice...thats the bike.

Jake Shaughnessy /

you can also do a little porting and a carb for more speed

) Cupermcnewbster ( /

put on a puch 14 bing and you will go plenty fast.

will the 64cc autissa kit fit a 505/1d? i'm picking one up soon and the cylinder is toast. i dont know much about the sachs, this will be my first real introduction.

Anything else I should know?

the gas tank is the koolest, it has a locking lid and a overflow tray with a hose that drains overflow to the ground not on your ped.ri

it has coaster brakes for the rear,when it works proper it will lock up the rear wheel. i wish my puch could skid like a g3.

its got hydrolic forks!

cons:

the gearing is very low on a g3. it hard to find a bigger front gear and if you do find on the biggest you can go 12T with out grinding the case. smaller rear gear is hard to find sometimes.

clutch is not the most heavy duty.

my coster brake would not allways catch right away .if i jammed on the back brake it did not catch right away but if i hit the back brake slow it allways worked.i dont know if other ppl have this problem.

We had a guy on a Sachs G3 on the San Diego ride. Kinda hefty guy and he kept up pretty damn well.

why wait until summer? some meet us up at Founder's tomorrow night (Monday). Then come hang out at the shop after.

just buy the freakin thing already! You'll love it!

Yeah dude, g3's are the biz. I have one that was my favorite bike until it had a stroke. Now I seek a 5053d from ebay germany. AWESOME bike. I think they look cooler than just about any bike out there. Faster stock than any magnum.

i dont know about the faster then a stock magnum but they are awesome.

my magnum bone stock does 34 35 flats and the g3 i had was great but was like steady 30, a attribute i figure goes to that huge ass rear sproket and its low gearing.

great looking bikes tho, and man the coaster brake is cool.

super cool till you try and use it on all your other bikes that arent sachs....

one thing I was thinking, would it be terrible to put ape hangers on this bike? I mean i'm not sure how it would look aesthetically, but it would seem like it would be more comfortable to ride that way...anybody have and pics of a bike like this with apes? It would probably look really stupid since it's styled like a "sport bike"...

or maybe rephrase that instead of ape hangers, "taller handlebars".

Weak clutch is a big Con it seems... If you end up kitting it i would still try and take it easy. As in not full throttling for super long trips because its not made to run at that High of RPMs... Sachs are infamous for eating clutches up.

I'm not positive, but I'm pretty sure if you put ape hangers or other taller handlebars on a G3 all the stock cables and electrical will not reach.

Matt Scout The Scouting Dcon /

I've ridden a Garelli SSXL before (top tank) and it has pretty tall bars compared to the G3. I really did not like those bars on the Garelli. It worked okay, but for good control shorter bars are better. But seriously, you can worry about the bars later. If that G3 is a good price, I'd get it. It looks in incredibly good condition!

Yours has much taller handlebars than mine. I wouldn't go too crazy with handlebars, but maybe some Moby ones would look alright, they are fairly tall and have a nice back swept shape. Check out some of the handlebars on magnums.

I love my G3. Super smooth solid ride. Heres what i did and am doing. First got it it had a stripped internal gear so I had to split it so i figured might as well port out the transfers. I flipped the intake forward and put on a dellorto 16mm carb with a uni filter. Gotta shave a little off the fins. I got rid of the kick brake and put on a cable brake gotta know a welder for that one. Those kick brakes are prone to braking. I also stripped all the panels off the sides and the rack. I put a bullet head light on it. Straight bars. Dont put ape hangers on that bike ill kill you. Cafe all the way. The clutch is tempramental to say the least. Get to know cuz you will be rebuilding it. I personaly like dex/merc high milage for it. Its lasted the longest to date. The pads glaze up if not maintained properly and have to be deglazed with emery cloth. Make sure everything is seated properly when you are putting it back together. I sugest laying the bike on its side/pedal so it stays seated. Once its back together and full of fluid never lay the bike down or it will leak out and you will glaze up all over again. Its a great bike 17" wheels. Very torquey. Like better than two speed tourquey with the stock gearing. The flip side is I was running out of gear at around 31mph. I went to a 31T rear and that got me to 36mph but crappy bottom end.

Upgrades: Well besides the carb you can fab up a Tomos A35 techno bullet for cheap. I got the Autisia 64cc kit on my sachs 504 motor and I like it. Well built. There are also 3 Athena kits available.

Helpful links:

This is specs on a 504 motor lots of similar parts

http://translate.google.com/translate?hl=en&sl=de&u=http://www.newsachsmotor.de/bis_50_ccm/504/504.html&sa=X&oi=translate&resnum=8&ct=result&prev=/search%3Fq%3Dbing%2B85/12/101%2Ba%26hl%3Den%26rls%3DGGGL,GGGL:2006-24,GGGL:en%26sa%3DX

Manual

http://www.mopedriders.org/article_view.php?faq=2&fldAuto=31

Email me if you have questions

How does that Kit work for you David?... and where did you get it... I have an 80cc Athena kit on mine right now and it just at my clutch up... I was thinking about downgrading in hopes for a little bit more reliaility...

_Those kick brakes are prone to braking._

Priceless.

I like it. I have intake leaks at the carb i gotta work out before I can really open it up. Treats had them I think hes out again and yes im funny

I worked on cleaning it up and tightening things up tonight. What kind of porting do I do on this? can anybody describe what I should do?

if you have problems with the kick brake .

you can allways convert to a rear hand brake

I de-striped and added aluminum pedals/toe clips.

clips = yikes!

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account