79' NA50 question

I was just wondering if I could just mix my own oil/gas & use both the gas tank & the oil tank for fuel? I would rather mix my own to just have more fuel to run with. Anyone ever do this with a moped that has it's own oil pump?

Thanks!

Re: 79' NA50 question

ummm, no.

Andrew Squiggman /

you would have to put the 2 fuel lines ( 1 from gas tank, 1 from oil tank) to a tee fitting, with some type of petcock on the oil line, so you could close that as well when parked. and from the tee, to fuel filter, to carb.

Then you would have to make the oil pump have a loop of oilline, between the intake, and output, so that oil just recirculates over and over. that should work.

then put your premix in both tanks. I think that would be everything.

79' NA50 question

You can do this. Many old Express tanks loose the seal between the tanks and mix together. The Express oil pump rarely fails so I really don't see the purpose.

That's kind of what I figured I would have to do except looping the oil pump. Couldn't I just take it out? Now that I think about it though, looping it would be faster & easier. I appreciate the advice!

Thanks,

-DMCarstensen

Wait, Salty, you just said a lot of Express bikes lose the seal between the two tanks & mix. Then you said the pump rarely fails so you don't see the point. I'm confused to where your stance on what to do is because those two statements contradict each other. Could you clarify? T

Thanks!

-DMCarstensen

OK, ill clarify for him. the tank on expresses is seperated by a metal plate in between the oil tank and the gas tank. Often times, it will rust through, making it just one big tank.

If you dont have this problem, then dont worry about it.

If you want to premix because you are worried about the Oil injector failing, then dont worry because the Pumps, or injectors on expresses always work. It is rare that they fail.

The Oil pump on an express performs two actions. It injects, and it stirrs the drive oil, and lifts it to the top of the gear. So you cant take it off. You would need to loop it.

If you want to be able to carry more gas, then you are going to do a lot of work to add a small amount of fuel. Its true that expresses dont ahve big gas tanks, but its not that big of a deal. I would just get a basket and put a gas can in it if you need to go a long way. You should get at least 30 miles out of a tank.

You are gona spend a lot of effort in reducing the performance of the bike to be able to add a litle fuel. Plus, and convenience o fhaveing more gas would be countered by the fact that you now have to carry a bottle of 2 stroke oil with you.

I recomend against this.

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account