broken key = no thanksgiving

Anyone know how to get a broken key out of a car door?

Well my little brother needed to borrow my girlfriends car.

In a rush he snapped off the only key in the doorlock.

So now we can't unlock the door or if we could we couldnt start it anyway.

We are supposed to be leaving for my other brothers far away in Maine in the early am.

Well it dont look like thats gonna happen.

Now I have to wake up early and try to coat hanger my way in and pull apart the door panel then pull out the lock cylinder to get the remains of the only key. then hopefully braize it back together to save thanksgiving. I love the holidays.

Anyone have any suggestions on how to get a broken key out of a doorlock? It is broken off kind of far in far enough

that the little metal flapper door is shut.

Re: broken key = no thanksgiving

Im not too sure you can get it out then, because that means its jammed all up in the lock cylinder itself.

THat sucks man, I wish I could be more help.

Gonna have to remove the tumbler and rip'er apart.

why he do dat

now your gonna have to pile on scootie puff to get there

***VANILLA BLUNDER*** /

scootie puff junior sucks!

there is no spare key? gonna have to call a locksmith duder

Yep, ante up the cash and get a professional.

Break in and take the handle off. Remove the tumbler and get the broken part out. Go to the locksmith and get a new key cut.

Andrew Squiggman /

a locksmith or dealer, should be able to make you a fresh key without the old one, just by the vin, unless the locks have been changed

I am or was a dealer tech.

I have been the one in the past that people sent thier car to to deal with shit like this and its always a pain in the ass having to take a lock tumbler apart.

I guess my biggest issue is gonna be getting a key cut on thanksgiving. I love the holidays.

and its an 87 maxima no keys cut to a vin an a car this old!

At least the sha 14 . 14 I put on my moby yesterday makes it fly.

scootie puff jr sucks! ^

1227754090_scootie_puff.jpg

coat hanger to the power lock button?

thats the easy part!

Andrew Squiggman /

yeah, maybe too old. can you get in the car at all? if you can, id say try any auto key you can wiggling and jiggling it. with a car this old, the lock tumbler is probably pretty worn, and it wont be as picky which will fit.

screwdriver, ignition, twist and go.

I am thinking using super glue to get the broken part out.Put a dab on the end I have and stick it to the stuck piece and get it out.

then weld it back together in the am.

The issue with that is if I screw it up I could end up gluing the key in the tumbler.

If I cant get it Its gonna be macaroni and cheese and hot dogs for us tomorrow!

This car has low mileage and is in really good shape I dont wanna screwdriver it and screw it up - its a classic man!

Have you ever taken the ignition switch out of it? I once threw away the keys to my '95 lebaron and found that the "security screws" that held the ignition switch together were really easy to get past.

Andrew Squiggman /

sounds like professional locksmith is your answer then. pricey, but youd be on your way

Cant get into it.

I got like twenty bucks to my name and thats for gas to get there locksmith isnt an option.

alright, any chance that the power lock relay is under the hood?

Andrew Squiggman /

borrow a friends car

or call your other brother. have him call locksmith with a credit card.

how would I open tha hood to get to the lock relay?

I am sure I could get the door open with just a screwdriver the stub is in the tumbler

I am hopin somone has a james bondy way of getting the stub out so all i gotta do is get it out and try yo adhere it together.

My brother is broker than I am!

and all my friends only have mopeds!

Since you're broke and it's too late to get it shipped this is probably useless, but I thought I'd post it just in case.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/IGNITION-SWITCH-KEY-87-88-89-NISSAN-STANZA-MAXIMA_W0QQitemZ220291249868QQcmdZViewItem

you could always bust a window and hotwire your own car.

Andrew Squiggman /

OK, here is james bond trick for stub removal. may take several tries. not guaranteed to work, but may. take a beer can, or soda can. with scissors, cut some strips like key size. put a bend on the end of the strip, bending it back 180. making it like a hook. carefully insert into lock, sliding it up beside broken key. this would take some in-n-out to get it slid in beside the broken key. working the aluminum, in and out, til the hook hooks over the end of the key piece and it may pull out.

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account