Engine choice A35 - A55?

OK, I'm getting a batavus regency, M56s bite the big one and it has loads of mechanical issues anyway so I'm planning on doing an engine swap. I considered using a puch motor but discounted that for 2 reasons

1) parts availability isn't the greatest in my geographical location.

2) I hate mail ordering stuff and would have to do that on a continuing basis for this type of engine. So because there are actual Tomos dealers in my area and its just a bus ride to their shop, Ill be going with one or the other of the Tomos'.

Now what I would like to figure out is which type to go with. Which has the of the 2 has the most mods, which is most reliable? What can I expect performance-wise when I kit? Which has the best kits available? etc..

Constructive opinion input welcome!

Re: Engine choice A35 - A55?

A55s have more agressive stock porting and a different cdi.

other than that, options are the same pretty much.

I have a kickstart a55, for sale, if youre interested.

Email me!

i thought the 55's didn't have reed valves and the 35's did.

The A35 and A55 are very similar. They are both built off the same transmission. The top ends are where they differ most. The A35 has a cast iron reed valve top end and the A55 has an aluminum piston ported top end. The A55 engines also have larger transfers in the cylinder and the cases. The A55 puts out a bit more power in stock form. I'd say they both have basically the same tuning potential.

if i were you, i would go puch all the way, simply because it is way cheaper and there are alot more simple things to do to a puch motor than an a35 or a55. plus more stuff on mopedwiki i believe.

the best tomos engine would to be an a35 top end matched to an a55 bottom end, cept the a55 bottom end should have all a35 internals and a35 cdi.

a55 cdi = poopoo

Keep in mind I plan to get 70cc kit to put on it

gearing too probably

Justin, if you are going to use all a35 internals, why would you even bother putting them into an a55 bottom end. why not just skip a step and use an a35 bottom end?

try to get a3 clutches. i heard they are alot better all around then the stock a35 clutches

ez da snow man !! /

i use A_35 clutchs in my A-3 alot better

New question...

What difference would there be IYOs with the fact that its going to be kitted?

Re: New question...

i haven't messed wit the a55 yet but the fact that they don't have those reeds any more makes me sad.

a55 bottom end simply because of the amazingly huge transfers.

🇮🇹💦 Of the Loin /

get a 2005 a35. comes with a55 transfers and a35 cdi.

best year all around. How do I know this? I had one.

did you kit it?

Get a A35 bottom end. Better cdi and it will be cheaper. I got a a35 bottom end for $89 on ebay. If your gonna Kit it any way just open up the transfers. A55 are rev limited at the cdi. Get a A35 70cc top end for the reeds. If you don't want to bother with them then you can throw on any puch kit. Ive heard the a55 has different stud sizes so unless you change them you have to use A55 kits but don't quote me on that.

þλ†Я¡¢k §¡§ΩИ /

So A35s are compatible to any puch cylinder?

What about the rear wheel...?

Should I go with a revival wide rear tire or a streetmate R since the original rims on the regency are plastic?

Re: What about the rear wheel...?

The current rims are snow flakes here is what I would be getting http://www.mopedarmy.com/photos/brand/6/11483/

^

those aren't plastic.

You sure? I could have sworn it was....

Still, What would be good for a rear wheel? Whould a wide revival rear wheel fit do you think?

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account