Freespirit

I have a few students that are trying to restore a donated moped it is a sears freespirit. It is in amazing shape. it only has 360 miles on it. the only unfortunate thing is that it is missing a motor and possibly the black cover thing that runs along the frame above the motor. I am sorry I cannot be more detailed but I have only seen pictures of the moped fully assembled and I am a woodshop teacher so my knowledge of mopeds is limited. I am looking for help in all aspects of fixing this moped. I would hate to let the students down they are really excited about fixing it up. We dont have much money but we can do work for trade. we are currently making log furniture and custom duck and goose calls. we also have a laser engraver and can do custom engravings on things like gas tanks, I think?

Please let me know if anyone is interested in donating to the cause or would like to trade for a custom made woodworking project. I will add some pictures after I take attendance and figure out how to add pictures.

Thanks

Matt

Re: Freespirit

do you have a picture of it? that could help but right now it sounds like u need a e50 (KICKASS ENGINE)

Freespirit

Gunther McCilicutty /

Post them via the reply message box...browse and pic the picture

Can you say "Wooden Moped"! I would give you an engine to put on it if you could build me an exact replica of the frame with enough structural integrity to ride at 30mph out of a nice dark wood.

Gunther McCilicutty /

I'm thinking Walnut with inlayed Maple pinstripes.

Good call on the hardwood bike. I am an avid woodworker and that was the first thing I thought about.

can u do that like put a steel pole inside a block of wood to make it strong enough for rode useage?

Gunther McCilicutty /

I think that 3-4 pcs of laminated hardwood would do it..no need for a steel rod or pipe.

The gastank would be the worst problem...next to the swingarm

i think that if u do do it then the swingarm and gastank should be metal so the wheels and forks...just the frame should be wood

I hope the picture works. Thanks derek for the links I will spend some time after school looking at them. Yes I think the wooden bike is a great idea. I dont think that we could acheive such a task with our current shop we are in limbo while the new school is getting built. That is why I am alowing students to work on nontraditional projects. I think wenge with holly pins would look great. It would be heavy but solid cocobolo would be the best

1226602555_moped.jpg

I hope the picture works. Thanks derek for the links I will spend some time after school looking at them. Yes I think the wooden bike is a great idea. I dont think that we could acheive such a task with our current shop we are in limbo while the new school is getting built. That is why I am alowing students to work on nontraditional projects. I think wenge with holly pins would look great. It would be heavy but solid cocobolo would be the best

I think I put this in the right reply place

thanks

matt

1226602824_moped.jpg

bike looks nice. good luck! keep us updated with what they decide to do with it.

The rod is not needed for strength. Look at the spruce goose by howard hughes. you can get as much strength as you want out of wood but size and weight would start to become the issue. My opinion you could easily make a frame of wood that would be exceptable in both size and weight for a moped. The motor size may have to be the comprimise moving up to a 70cc or somthing with alittle more push than a 1.5hp

Thanks for the responce

nice it has all the parts i need for mine lol

get an e50 and put a kit on it

It is in great shape and I am furious because the students that donated the bike tried to fix it at home during the summer. the lower part of the motor had a hole in the case just above the oil rods and he threw out the motor and carb after his mom complained about the gas smell. so instead of finding parts for the motor we are trying to find a motor.

Yeah, your motor is missing. Any puch E50 motor will bolt right up. You will also need a Carburetor and an exhaust, and probably the high tension coil. You could get stock replacements for pretty cheap in the buy / sell forum. A running E50 engine should cost around $100-$150. Stock exhausts can be had for some nice words and the cost of shipping. People here will encourage you to "kit" the bike and other performance modifications, but I would encourage you to get a perfectly running bike first. If you go the "kit" route, you add many more variables for failure as well as extra cost, especially since this is a student project and a first time moped builder.

look on mopedjunkyard.com and treats moped shop and ebay and 1977mopeds.com and see if u can find a e50

yeah def dont throw a kit if u dont have the bike running first lol

where do I find an e50 and what kind of kit am i looking for? I am sorry I have no vocabulary for mopeds or motors. This will be a learning exercise for all of us. Also how much am I looking to spend?

I have the exhaust it needs to be cleaned on the inside. what is a high tention coil.

2 posts tjat above i posted sites and stuff

oh and probably like 50 for the engine to 70 bucks but the e50 is the best moped engine

For the Price the K-Star (70cc for the People) that Treats HQ (on eBay) has would be a really good choice, and it isn't as finicky as a Polini.

Here are some more links that will be helpful:

"Moped Jargon": http://www.mopedarmy.com/wiki/Category:Moped_Jargon

"Moped Shops": http://www.mopedarmy.com/wiki/Shop_links

"Puch Cylinders": http://www.mopedarmy.com/wiki/Puch_Cylinders

"Puch Exhausts": http://www.mopedarmy.com/wiki/Puch_Exhausts

"Rebuild a Puch e50": http://www.mopedarmy.com/wiki/Rebuild_a_Puch_E50_Engine

"Puch Shop Manuals": http://www.mopedarmy.com/wiki/Puch_Workshop_Manuals

wow what a cool post!

shopteacher dont worry about the "kit" for now. a kit is a large bore cylinder and piston which will increase the CC's and horsepower to the point where it is technically illegal. technically.

what you need is a solid running "e50" (1 speed) motor from just about any other puch moped. you will find one the cheapest in the "buy/sell" section than anywhere else other than getting lucky and finding another puch bike locally.

this is what you will need in addition to the motor.

12 or 14mm bing carburetor (might come with the motor)

stock puch exhaust (depending on what kind of e50 you get angled cylinder or straight)

415 motor chain (you can get this at bike shops that carry bmx parts or online)

maybe new cables? (bicycle ones will work if you want to go cheap or you can buy them from a moped shop online)

ATF type F transmission fluid

that should cover the basics. check out those links too. they are to repair manuals for the bike!

Thankyou Harold. I will definately spend some time on the internet tonight looking at all of the sites that you guys offered. I also posted this on the buy and sell forum I hope that wasnt a bad thing to post in two forums?

Just curious the sticker on the gas tank says "do not use unleaded Gas" I am confused by this.

like I said I know wood not motors

IGNORE THAT STICKER!

The "Do Not Use Unleaded Gas" thing was probably buried in the links above somewhere, but it's only a novelty now.

Leaded gas, to reduce engine "knock" was apparently supplanted entirely by better-quality unleaded sometime long before my birth. Sorry I can't be first-hand here, but I just wasn't built for it.

When you have an engine, run it on the cheapest, lowest octane gas from the local pumps (and two-stroke oil). Avoid E85 like the plague.

Hey. We're going to have to start printing some "Do Not Use E85" stickers soon!

+++

P.S. "cocobolo!" ohmyDogohmyDog! Does cocoloco know about this?

"Dalbergia Retusa": http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cocobolo

+++

Post-Post-Script (yeah, I do that, sorry)

shopteacher, send the project kids by a local bike shop - sorry - bicycle shop, not motorsports store.

Actually, it'd be best to send them now, before you have an engine, that way someone can drive the moped there easily and the bike shop won't get freaked out by the motor.

What you have sitting there is basically a bicycle with no pedals. All of the parts - from tubes to bowden cables to levers and bars - are interchangeable with bicycle parts.

Are interchangeable with CHEAP bicycle parts actually - the heaviest steel parts that no one wants to use on a bicycle are perfect for mopeds.

§ćŗάτçλmªřċ • /

the Puch Museum in Austria has this on display:

~marc

Classic, love the shape. in a couple of years when we get our shop up and fully functional that might have to become a project.

Guys, Portage is literally right next to Kalamazoo.

There are tons of mopeds in Kalamazoo. You should be able to find all the stuff you need locally.

You need to contact a guy named Chad Burke who lives in Kalamazoo. He can get you any part you need and maybe he can work out some kind of deal with you guys. Dont quote me on that part though.

chad@mopedarmy.com

contact him there and see what he can get you.

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account