A Warning to All SF Mopeders.

Just got my Moped towed at the Stonestown Galleria Mall. I went inside to eat lunch and browse some books with an old friend and when I came out (like an hour later) my bike was gone.

It took me 20 minutes to track down a security guard who gave me directions to the security office. After waiting another 10 minutes for another girl to report her towed car I went up to the window and told them that I had parked my moped to a lamp post near the front entrance. They let out a laugh and replied Moped Huh? I said, yeah a fcking MOPED.

They gave me shit about not parking it along with the bike racks, but if anyone has seen the racks at the front of Stonestown will know if there are bikes parked on the ends of those racks there is no way you can fit a moped in one of the slots further in the middle. Especially if there are other bikes there already too.

Luckily the tow truck hauled the girls car off instead of my moped, so my bike was in one of their back rooms. They cut my chain and lock apart though. The security said it was a bitch getting that chain off and I wanted to tell him Good! Fck You! But I knew he was just following orders.

So I just wanted to let the rest of you know if you ever park your bike at stonestown, watchout for those bastards. My bike wasn't blocking anything or in the way of any handicap ramps or pedestrian walkways. They just said one of the managers saw it parked to the lamp post and told them to cut it and haul it the F*ck out of there.

So I'm out a burly chain, managed to salvage the lock. But damn, this really upset me.

Re: A Warning to All SF Mopeders.

no groms no blasters /

what sort of chain did you have? I need to know what not to buy.

That fucking sucks. I go to Stonestown quite a bit. Thanx for the heads up.

A Warning to All SF Mopeders.

Gunther McCilicutty /

most Malls (nice ones) have local codes as what passes for a acceptable parking place. If it looked out of place parked there then, yeah, they will move it.

Fucking sucks but they did have every right to do that since it's private property.

I got the whole lecture at Serramonte but the security guard was nice enough to ask me to move my shit then ask ... "what is that thing anyways?".

Yeah, they explained that to me. I think if i showed up a little earlier they would've let me go. Oh well, could've been worse I guess. At least I didn't get a ticket on top of that.

Were you talking about the bike rack on Chevy's ride btw?

yep that one by chevys orr closer to olive garden..

super lame.

gotta love that stonestown mall.

You should have explained to them that it is legal to park on the sidewalk in SF. But the Stonestown Shopping Center is private property and I guess that can do anything they want.

Are there any signs that say no parking here, or on the sidewalk, or anything? If there are no signs you could have sued then in small claims court for your chain and/or for the towing and storage charges.

SEC. 219.2. SIDEWALK PARKING OF BICYCLES AND MOPEDS.

It shall be permissible for any person to stop, park or leave standing any bicycle or moped, on any sidewalk, provided that such bicycle or moped shall in no way obstruct the sidewalk nor inhibit the forward progress of any pedestrians thereon.

(Added by Ord. 479-85, App. 10/18/85)

good to know that law, ultrav. thanks for posting that.

Hey at least you did not have to pay towing/impound fees! I left my truck at a bar parking lot in a mall once overnight(too much to drink) Went back the next day and there was a notice to tow on it, summer, legally parked etc. I Flipped, tore it up and went into the security office and raised hell! They said no overnight parking etc etc..I say No dwi for me fuck you! The bar does not own the lot, the mall does, they say it is fine and if I don't leave they will call cops, I say please do, they do, cops hear me out and suggest that the rent a cops, thier quote..lol cut people some slack in the genneral area of the bar. For at least one day anyway! Score one for common sense!

Damn straight, keller_stephen, bars in the mall.

Ditto on "What chain?" We need to know this.

Security guards don't have impound-level cutting tools, they've just got some big bolt cutters someone picked up at the hardware store.

The rent-a-cop bolt cutters are one grade above random convenience theft, one grade below a talented bicycle thief, and many grades below having the fire department come with air tools.

Cosmo nPuch Stillstolen /

Yeah Stephen, I like your example, common sense sometimes is in short supply with property management types and their security guards.

You shouldn't be punished for using YOUR common sense. Way to stand up for reason!

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account