Tranny fluid

Brendan Chenelle /

How much tranny fluid goes into a sachs engine? Which hole does it go into, the one on the top, near the carb, or the one on the side?

Re: Tranny fluid

I don't think you're supposed to "measure" the amount.

You could get the exact specs, but most of the peds I've seen have a drain plug and a fill plug.

you remove both, drain all the fluid out (by tipping your bike to the side...)

then, with the bike totally level, you fill through the top hole until the first little drops come out of the bottom hole.

If your bike is "level" nothing should be dripping... but if you tip it even a little bit, you should see that fluid...ready to roll out.

nearly impossible to 'overfill' because the excess will overflow right out of the bottom hole.

regulars: correct me if I'm off target.

-Wayne

on a sachs you fill it through the side hole and just up to the bottom of that hole on level ground.

Brendan Chenelle /

how can you fill it through the side hole? what then is the top hole for?

the top screw isn't for a fillhole. it has something to do with the clutch. this was covered in a post a while back. you need to get some sort of small funnel to get the fluid in. see if mbartel chimes in.

See Ya Moped Army /

I bought a small funnel kit at Wal-mart that works great for this purpose. It's the kind that screws onto the top of the oil bottle. Rather than screwing it onto the bottle, I just stick the small end of the funnel tube into the side hole and then pour the tranny fluid into the round hole that is supposed to screw onto the oil bottle. This way I can control the oil flow & quantity much better. Works like a charm.

MoPedLar

Oh god not another one- please don't remove that top screw. BAD, BAD JUJU. If you do, and it will be a long bolt, you will have successfully dis-assembled your starting clutch lever. Your moped will not start or run if you do this.

On level ground, use a funnel, or the top off of a gear oil bottle to pour fluid into the transmission hole on the side. You can use either type F or type III. Then, run it around for a little while, and top it off again, just to make sure.

If you run low on fluid, the engine will bog down heavily, and possibly die when you stop.

Brendan Chenelle /

already did, and figured that out. i put it back together, and the starting lever works now :) Thanks.

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account