Re: "a lot of blow-by" ??

don-ohio /
This single post is part of a larger thread. Start from the top or view this post in context.

Well,I believe some of that but not nearly everything stated. I have seen too many rusty tanks caused by people buying gasoline with 10-15% ethanol. The claims the article makes seem slanted toward ethanol use. The statement that even leaving the gas cap off would take years to absorb an appreciable amount of moisture is preposterous. ANYONE who has taken water, put a few ounces in the bottom of a clear jar,marked the level of water,and added ethanol blended gas, has seen the propensity that the alcohol has to leave the gas and go to the water. You can see the animated action before your eyes and you can see the level of separation of water from gas rise as the alcohol quickly prefers the water and goes there to the bottom......SO,say you have humid air (look at the side of an ice-cold lemonade glass on a humid day to see how much water is available)being drawn into ethanol laced gas every time it cools down at night and every time you run the `ped.That water will stay with the fuel,degrading the mixture more and more. What they are saying,I guess,is that it won't COLLECT in a separated state at the bottom of the tank. That may be true,but the gas still has unwanted moisture in it, and is detrimental to small engines especially. That's why STIHL chain saws will VOID your warranty if you use ethanol-blended gas.At least they used to. I haven't spoken to the STIHL dealer in the last few years. They also don't mention the decline in gas mileage that accompanies ethanol blend usage. I would prefer STIHL's caution until absolutely proven otherwise. don-ohio (:^)

This single post is part of a larger thread. Start from the top or view this post in context.

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account