Put your hands on the moped and spread 'em

megan massino /

Mopeders in Tucson beware, Matt got pulled over today on my QT50 for "failure to wear protective eye-wear". He wasn't given a real ticket yet, but was cited for not having registration or proof of insurance (both I have, being the square that I am, and we only need to photocopy these things and send them in). With his bad luck he also didn't have his drivers license, so that must be photocopied, too. Funny there is no helmet law in this state, but my wearing regular prescription glasses keeps me from a ticket. Matt's going to bust out the aviators when he gets his Express on the roads. It sucks we have to live in fear of the fuzz. It could be tough for those of us with tags from 1983 and a phony bill of sale to cruise around, let alone swarm and destroy.

Re: Put your hands on the moped and spread 'em

you tucson riders should swarm and take over the streets.

Designated Dave /

Wow, no protective eyewear? I don't have a license plate, wonder what they'll do to me...

And I recently got a helmet, so woohoo, I can bash tha fuzz wid it!

dd

Nicholas Fgdgfdfd /

what do you have to have in az to ride legally ? ive only got a bill of sale

megan massino /

You have to have it registered, meaning you need to generate a title or use the bill of sale and have the dmv register it for you. You can't have a registered vehicle in az without having it insured, so once you get your title/registration from the dmv, they give you 30 days to get insurance and prove it to them. If you get pulled over by a cop (for which he must have reason, but as you can see no eyewear works, and I think going under the speed limit does to) you've gotta have registration and proof of insurance on you. As far as I know, if your bike is under 50cc, you're good to go without a motorcycle lisence. The cop asked Matt if he had one, and Matt said he didn't need one, and the cop answered back "I didn't say you needed one..." and then gave him crap about eyewear.

It was easy to register my bike qt because I got it from a dealership (smashed between two yamaha sport motorcycles, collecting dust...) in Phoenix, and they generated a title for me. Insurance from Progressive is 185 bucks for the whole year, I just paid it in full. It sucks though, I don't actually have any coverage, it won't do dick for me if my bike gets damaged or anything like that, I basically just pay to be street legal, because I drive around the university a lot and its swarming with cops.

thank god i live in va - no reg, plates, insurance, or licence needed. but two days ago a cop pulled me over for not havein a helmet. he was cool though said he wouldn't do anything but another cop mite. I called the dmv asking about 50cc scooters the other day, since the dmv's leaners guide said that mopeds were defined as a bike not able to excede 30mph with pedals. The dmv said that they consider scooter to fall under the moped regulations, so most lil' scoots can ride along with out anything either.

Nicholas Fgdgfdfd /

hmm, okay, thats good i guess. my bike is 50cc right now but it will probably be faster by the time the tucson/nogales rally comes along. a few of us up in tempe are talking about taking a few mopeds down there and riding with the scooters. if you or anyone else in tucson are interested in coming along, just let me know, if you're not already planning on going to that rally . its like the first or second weekend in november .

also, my roommate is looking for any sort of moped anywhere, do you know of any good places to look in phoenix or even down in tucson ? he's looking specifically for a vespa si moped , but will probably settle for anything pre-1980 . or a motobecane of any kind and i'll trade him , heh .

nick

How about a Kinetic that's got a lot of Vespa Si in it? I've only gotten it up to 25, and kind of lost interest in it... The only problem, I'm in Lubbock TX-- it's what 10 hours from ya?

designated dave /

Also when registering they inspect it to make sure lights and stuff work, or so I am told by the lady at the dmv over the phone. Also, do I really need the previous registerer sign a bill of sale? Or could my roomie just sign something?

dd

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account