three problems: petcock, throttle, choke

Miguel /
This single post is part of a larger thread. Start from the top or view this post in context.

OK, I now have THREE problems. I'm not sure if they're interrelated (not sure why they would be, but ...). Any help on any or all would be greatly appreciated.

I recently replaced my petcock after it broke. I got a BAP petcock from Handy Bikes. Everything was fine. A few days ago, the engine started stalling. I tried a few things, then played w/ the petcock. This particular petcock has three positions: off, on, reserve (in that order). I took the hose off and played w/ the petcock. No fuel came out on either "on" OR "off." But fuel did run smootly out on "reserve." So I rode using "reserve" as "on" and still switching to "off" when not riding. That was fine.

Suddenly, today, there seems to be no fuel coming into my carburator. I tried all three positions, and the situation is the same. No fuel. Instead, my petcock itself seems to be dripping fuel from someplace. It seems to increase to a faster drip on "reserve", but ther is no steady flow like there should be. I thought perhaps I had run out of fuel (though I filled my tank less than two days and only rode about 5 miles on it). As I began to unscrew the petcock, fuel started to gush out the bottom of the tank. OK, so I have fuel (I quickly screwed the petcock back on). What's going on? Is the petcock broken? I wonder if my inline filter is clogged or something ... but is there anything else that could be wrong?

Second problem: my throttle is now totally on the fritz. It will hardly turn and is very very stiff. It's also not moving as far as it used to. I tried adjusting the cable on the grip itself, but nothing (either in farther or out father) seems to work. It makes a slight difference, but nothing consistent and nothing to fix the problem. My throttle used to go quite far back until it clicked onto a built in "cruise control" that held the throttle at almost 100% acceleration (a very convenient feature, I might add). I'm not sure what's going on. I did nothing in between this morning when I rode to work and when my moped died out on me on the way home. Could the rain have done anything? Is this one of those WD40 repair jobs? What could be wrong? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Third problem: my moped even now will start if the choke is switched to "on." Now, I can't get much rev because my throttle is messed up, but the moped will run and go for a while. But as soon as I take the choke off, the moped dies. What's going on here? Or is this related to the petcock more directly? (this is my guess, but I'm not sure).

Right now my poor moped is sitting in the rain outside my office (I walked almost 2 miles home). I'd like to get it fixed soon enough, at least to ride it home. I did ride a lot this winter, so I might need to get some carb cleaner and WD40 and really get to work on cleaning all the moving parts. But why did it die just now? Is it all petcock related? What the heck is wrong w/ my petcock?!

Thanks for the help!

This single post is part of a larger thread. Start from the top or view this post in context.
Subject Written By Posted
  three problems: petcock, throttle, chokeTopic by: Miguel Miguel 02/08/01 07:30PM
  Re: three problems: petcock, throttle, chokeRe: Ron Brown Ron Brown 02/08/01 08:33PM
  Re: three problems: petcock, throttle, chokeRe: speeddude speeddude 02/08/01 09:24PM
  Re: three problems: petcock, throttle, chokeRe: Miguel Miguel 02/08/01 10:05PM
  direction on fixing throttle?Re: Miguel Miguel 02/09/01 05:55PM
  Re: direction on fixing throttle?Re: mike mike 02/09/01 06:00PM
  Re: Just do itRe: Miguel Miguel 02/09/01 06:53PM
  Just do itRe: Fred Fred 02/09/01 06:07PM
  wrecked cables and more ...Re: Miguel Miguel 02/11/01 04:35PM
  Re: wrecked cables and more ...Re: Ron Brown Ron Brown 02/12/01 10:04AM
  Re: wrecked cables and more ...Re: gimmiejimmie gimmiejimmie 02/12/01 10:15AM
  Re: wrecked cables and more ...Re: Ron Brown Ron Brown 02/12/01 10:24AM
  Re: wrecked cables and more ...Re: gimmiejimmie gimmiejimmie 02/12/01 10:09AM
  Re: wrecked cables and more ...Re: Miguel Miguel 02/12/01 03:02PM
  Re: wrecked cables and more ...Re: Ron Brown Ron Brown 02/12/01 03:12PM
  Re: gas cap problemRe: Dale Dale 02/17/01 05:39PM

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account