well...that sucked

a little earlier a was riding around about 20 miles from my house, and my engine kicked the chain. all i had with me was some money and my house key. i tried for a half hour to pop the master link with my key, but i couldnt get it off. then i remembered that my grandmothers house was about a mile away so i pushed the ped there and used a flat head to pop the link. it isnt fun pushing my moped up steep hills...

dave

well...that sucked

sorry to hear that dave. my pedal chain popped yesterday for no strange reason while i was trying to start it. went right back on. made sure everything was snug. maybe think about carrying some tools with you from now on..............paul

Re: well...that sucked

i don't leave home w/o my swiss army knife. it's on my keychain. but a handful of tools (like on a leaterman) would be great. of course, the tool you need is usually the one you don't have.

take tools with you ?

I'm kinda dumb .. unless I am going on a trip that'll take me more than 10-15 miles from home ... I only carry the original equipment tool kit that came with the PA.

Its a spark plug socket and a two-way screwdriver.

On (rare) longer trips I put a few more tools in my pockets.

take tools with you ?

i always have tools on me. the one time i don't carry anything will be the time i need them....lol..............paul

That's what the pedals are for

John Lieberman /

I've had to pedal my baby a couple of times when motorized propulsion became impossible (although in both cases, it was due to a lack of fuel.)

I'll tell you the very best tool to carry with you when you go for a ride: A cellphone. I haven't had to use it, but my 'ped and I never leave home without it.

Re: That's what the pedals are for

Absolutely...a cell phone is the best tool to carry. I had one of those life altering moments the first time I had to take a call while riding my 'ped, though. It just doesn't seem right. I feel like a kid again riding around, then reality comes back at me when it rings for something important. When did life get so complicated?!

Re: That's what the pedals are for

>When did life get so complicated?!

About the time we learned to stand upright and (most of us, anyways) stopped crapping in our hands and throwing it at each other. Spoken language had something to do with it too...

No, no, no

John Lieberman /

You're not supposed to leave the phone ON for chrissakes!

OUTGOING CALLS ONLY is my rule!

I hereby retain the right

.. to crap in my hand and throw it at people that honk, yell, or swerve at me.

Re: No, no, no

Oh..who ever remembers to turn them off? I've become quite forgetful! :-)

I hereby retain the right

david f martin /

AMEN, Brother!

Get your hands dirty! Bust some knuckles! Break out the curse words! Carry some tools, fix it yourself, and BE A MAN!

Cell phones are for wussies.

david

Re: I hereby retain the right

Hate to disagree with ya', but if your transmission craps out, the piston siezes, the condensor fails, etc...a cell phone is the best tool. I carry enough tools to change a tire or fix a chain, loose bolt or something. Beyond that, it's cell phone time.

i carry my cellphone for guerrill purposes. every time a car almost takes me out. i get close enough to take a plate number. then 911. i love to see an apb out for reckless driving and have them get pulled over.

Well have you ever test drove a ped and then it dies on you

John Lieberman /

If you're really intent on flinging feces, let me get you several bags of my dog's. I'd hate to see you get your butt exposed to the elements these days.

On the other hand, I suppose exposing our derrieres to ongoing traffic might be the best means of expression yet.

"Mopeds: All they're cracked up to be."

Some of us don't have cell phones. and even if we did, we ouldn't have some one to call to come pick our ass up if our bike broke. a good tool kit is worth it's weight in gold.

On the other hand, I don't like snitches. I think the bags of dog doo will get a point across more effectively than spreading bad Karma and calling the cops into it.

John Lieberman /

There's one problem with a good tool kit: Theft.

If you use your moped primarily for joyriding, or commute back and forth to someplace where you can drag your kit in with you, that's fine. For those of us who use our mopeds to run numerous errands and attend various events, it's not always practical to bring a tool kit, or worse yet, an extra gallon of gasoline, inside.

The trick is to find a balance. Instead of an extra gallon of gas, I now carry a two-ounce bottle of oil (my fuel tank is smaller than a gallon) under my milk crate. It's a pain to get to without removing the crate and its bungy cords, so I'm relatively confident no one will mess with it. I limit my tools to whatever I can fit into my underseat tool kit, which is pretty small, because the average Joe is never going to think to look under there for valuables.

The cell phone, on the other hand, always stays on my belt.

david f martin /

I'm with Faust... I don't have a cell phone yet, not sure I want one, either.

I keep tools, an extra gallon of gas, a rainsuit, flashlight, etc. on the bike at all times. The buckles on the straps holding the bags to the bike are locked under the seat, and I don't park my bike anywhere where someone is likely to tamper with it.

david

Re: when I had the tomos

had a base model, black no turn signals, '97.

could carry a full enough tool kit to almost take the bike apart. had combo(2 sizes on one wrench) open end Craftsman Metrics From 8mm to 19mm, Then a Set of Craftsman Open-Box combo (same size different ends for leverage) metrics, 8mm to 19mm, and 2 '4-in-1' combo screwdrivers and a knife of some kind. could just about rebuild the damn thing on the side of the road... the area between the seat and the gas tank was the perfect size to set a 2 gal. square plastic gas can. just use a bungee chord and strap it to the shaft the pegs bolt on to. Also helps keep the pedals at a 90* angle to the ground if you put a set of pegs on the back of the bike so you could ride in a 'sportier' set-up. gives you alot more range like that and if you have to, you could even buy the oil at the quickie mart when you refill the gas can. you can wait untill after the gas can is empty, you still have a 100 miles or more left in the gas tank...

You all know that guy... he sits at the intersection talking on his cell phone i his car doesn't notice anything else around him. Well that was me on the ped yesterday. just putting around in circles at the grocerystore parking lot. Talking on the phone.

fling crap if you want, but I just had to do it.

Re: take tools with you ?

i usually take a few tools with me everywhere i go, but the one time i dont i should have

Re: take tools with you ?

that's known as 'murphy's law'. or at least a subsection of it...' "if you need it, you won't have it." based on "if it's gonna break, it will do it at the worst possible moment."

wow, pushing a moped up a hill is really bad, kinda makes the time my 72'cb750 threw the chain and I had to push it up a hill seem like nothing. I mean, a motorcycle's just faster, even if it has no chain and weighs 600 pounds and is being pushed.....but all in all, a bad experience sucks.

Try talking on a cell and peding at the same time

I carry tools.

I carry a moped (and particularly Tomos) specialized toolkit, damn thing weighs nearly 30lbs, but with the stump puller rear end on my Trike currently, it doesn't affect performance.

Long as I have access to trans fluid, I can take the whole damn engine to bits with it if I have to, and there's been one time I did in fact have to do exactly that, a long time ago.

The U-clip popped out of place and I was unable to start the damn thing without dismantling the trans to fix it.

I didn't have any trans fluid, but a local deli sold me three bottles of olive oil which served well enough as trans fluid to get me home.

I don't have anyone to call either, so I just manage.

-T

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account