Converting Carabela MotoMatic to 'Rat' Cafe Bike

Yeah...I got bored of the way my scrapyard-find Carabela looked, so I did what all red blooded American men do...chop stuff up, and weld things together.

I'm hoping to borrow a digital camera to take some pictures. The bike looks quite interesting. I'm also putting an 86cc kit on the Minarelli. Wish me luck!

Converting Carabela MotoMatic to 'Rat' Cafe Bike

Pics or it never happened?

Re: Converting Carabela MotoMatic to 'Rat' Cafe Bi

yea picks

To get pictures, I must first find a digital camera. For being as young as I am, I'm still living in the 1800s it seems. I might just take a photo, and scan it. Let me describe what we did.

I was chilling out at Motion Left, and I was frustrated because I destroyed the threads on my Minarelli crankshaft, and decided to just put in a different engine. I was thinking to myself 'what could I do now' and it came to me 'I could convert my bike to a top tank'. Well, it was late, and needless to say we'd had a couple brewskys so we took an old table (you know, the ones with the metal tubular legs) and used one of the legs to make a center bar. Surprisingly enough, it was the exact same diameter as the frame AND CHROME!. We welded that from the front to the seat post, and put the tank on that. We also added a flat pan seat as well as foot pegs . Next up is a mechanical, toe operated brake, and an 86cc motor which I'm building on Sunday. I'll try to get the pics up of the frame mods asap, though it may take a few days. At first, I was debating weather or not to get it powdercoated, but then I decided...NAH, so it's going to stay in it's rusty, multicolored glory!

jordan, i'll bring my camera on sunday. kolin was telling me about your table leg antics - i wish i had been there! i've also heard rumors of crazy moped sculptures that were welded together wednesday??! definitely bringing the camera.

Hehe, yeah, honestly we were all just super excited because we got the formula down for the operation of the shitty stick welder. HAHA. Yeah, you'll totally dig the spare parts sculpture. You'll bring a camera? Awesome! I want to get pictures up soon. Soon, everyone will be doing it to their Carabelas haha.

Also, we took the original handlebars, and did some reshaping and cutting to make some AWESOME rat/cafe bars.

i'm going to need to bring my project bike in (a '77 moby 50L) one of these wednesdays (apparently when it's raining and we can't ride...) and provide enough alcohol for something like this to happen again.... i'm still kicking myself for missing it!

HAHAHA, had you been there, and been drinking, it would have been a BLAST! That doesn't mean we can't make this Sunday just as special (assuming it's going to be crappy again). This sunday, however, I will need to keep my intake down since I'm moving Carabela internals from one engine to another. After that however, we can drink like fishes, and then, WELD as if we were good at it! HAHA. I'll even bring some family drink...KESSLER!! Smooth as SILT!

Gotta start taking a camera to the Motion Left rides (or not rides)

I'm picturing your bike in balls to the walls Mexican Flag Colors With a loud as hell pipe and blue florescent lights! I also like your suggestion of fitting hydraulics. The problem is, where to put the subwoofer?

Hahaha, and a chain steering wheel don't forget. I actually thought about mounting a flagpole holder and just buying a mexican flag for it. haha.

FINISH HIM!!!!!

FINALLY FINALLY! I got a picture, but it's from a cell phone, therefor looks shitty.

1224555855_102008_190.jpeg

The stance on it is so weird, seeing as you sit straight above the footpegs. It forces you to ride it 'crotch rocket'esque

update? and pictures

is this baby running yet? were you able to find new rings for it, or are you waiting on replacements?

i do have a few pictures from sunday, that are a little clearer than the phone picture you posted (i hope i can do this right...)

Re: update? and pictures

sweet!!!

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account