garelli problem. it dies when not moving

i have a problem w/ a garelli rally sport. the bikes starts up just fine, but it dies whenever the bike isn't moving. in other words, if the rear wheel is not moving, the engine dies. it's not electrical, since the brake lights are grounded out and disconnected.

the bike has great compression and the carb is fresh cleaned. what could it be? could it be something w/ the transmission/clutch? or could there be some other explanation? i know it's mechanical, not electrical. any help would be appreciated. thanks.

Re: garelli problem. it dies when not moving

sounds like clutch problems... but i havn'et a clue

Sounds like your clutch is dragging. also is your idle speed maybe set too high?

Davemac

Chris MWH /

Wounds like your clutch is not releasing fully. A common problem with older garellis . When the Rubber clutch lining expands it can cause exactly the problem you have described. First check to make sure that the starter clutch cable is not adjusted to tightly. Otherwise you may end up having to do some clutch work. Some times you can fix it by taking the rubber clutch out and freezing it for a few days then re installing.

i was afraid it might be the clutch. i'll make sure it gets checked out.

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account