- In order to avoid running out of gas at an inconvenient moment, I top off the gas tank. In my case, this means overfilling the tank and dumping gasoline on my shoes, allowing me to enjoy the fumes of distilled petroleum all day wherever I am.
- I ride the 8 miles from Eleven Mile and Coolidge to Telegraph and 14 Mile to attend my meeting. This is along familiar roads already well-established as preferred moped routes. I notice that it is DAMNED COLD out. Total time to cover 8 miles: 22 minutes.
- During my meeting, and anticipating the wind-chilled enhanced outside temperature, I ingest several cups of steaming coffee. Someone in the room asks if anyone smells gasoline.
Now comes the fun part, getting from Telegraph and 14 Mile to Haggerty and 7 Mile.
- I take Telegraph south to 13 Mile. This is not as bad as it sounds because Telegraph has a real nice shoulder.
- I turn west on 13 Mile to go across town. Big mistake. I learn that as nice as 13 Mile is to ride east of Telegraph, it is awful on the west. The entire route is plagued by NPS (No Paved Shoulder). In the occasional places where there is a right turn lane in which I can seek temporary shelter from the onslaught of traffic, the road is beat to hell (also known as