Winter Riding

Alright. I know I'm going to get chewed up for this, but here it goes.

Okay, so riding a moped in winter SOUNDS like a bad idea, what with the black ice, cold, and stupid Detroit drivers, however I'm curious how feasible it actually is. When I was in France, most people who rode their mopeds in the summer also rode them in Winter. Do any of you ride your mopeds in the winter? What advice would you give someone who relies on ONLY a moped for transportation as far as winter riding?

Re: Winter Riding

last winter i rode my moped unless the roads werent plowed. but this season im a big wuss and i havent done much riding because its starting to get cold. im sure if you get knobby tires and are real careful you could do it. the question of if you SHOULD do it is up to you.

first make sure you bundle up like a bitch. just in mildy kinda cold weather, with the wind the temp drops a good 20 imediately it feels like. get yo self a windshield if possible to eliminate that. also, make sure your tires aren't slicks. decrease tire pressure by a little for more rubber on the pavement/ice

I ride my Sachs in the winter, I keep it in indoors so starting it it no big deal, I also went to the military surplus and bought a Russian Greatcoat, that with my full face and I'm set. Of course when roads aren't plowed I drive car!

Alright, so windshield, knobbier tires, lower pressure, warm clothes. Maybe some small chains on the boots for emergency braking?

My dad rides his bike all through the winter here in Minnesota, so it's definitely feasible. If possible, try to get studded tires, those things can grip just about anything it seems, including black ice at low speeds. If you're gonna ride through snow, the trick is to let the bike drift a little, don't try to keep it perfectly straight, cause you're just gonna fall over. Ride like you would through loose dirt or gravel. Ride slower, and ride super defensively. Most drivers are idiots as is, throwing in snow just makes things worse.

I ride an MB5 all winter and in the Detroit area. I don't ride to work or places I HAVE to go, I just ride for fun but I do ride all the time and out on the ice off of Grosse Ile. The MB5 does not have knobbies and is as close to a slick as they get. They work great in the snow. Not deep snow but snowmobile trails, the ice and dirt roads covered with packed down snow, it goes great. I have raced MX for 26 years and ride my dirtbikes in the winter but knobbies wont work unless they are studded. Knobbies put less rubber on the snow and unless you are in deep snow they don't work well from my experience. If you live near Detroit, I would be happy to ride with you anytime you want. I would also be happy to take you out on the ice if you really want to have some fun.

Bundle up with layers and ride away all you want. Full-face helmet with no-fog on the shield is a must. Just watch for pavement to snow/ice transitions and ride slower with caution. I ride with MX boots and gear when I go out on the ice as you will fall. If your ready, its almost fun as the snow breaks much of your fall. Keep in mind, I am old and you are young so falling for me isn't like you falling and getting right back up. I sometimes fall and have a smoke while I am laying there just to enjoy the snow and surroundings.

One thing that is important is to re-jet for the cold air. We all need to re-jet now anyway as the quality of gas has really gone to shiite. The amount of alcohol in the pump gas right now is so bad that one size main jet is going to need to be done even in warm weather if you don't want to hole a piston or seize. That is another topic but going up a size or two on the main in the cold is a must. The cold air will lean out things in cold weather. If you don't do anything else, at least re-jet for the cold.

Eric in Mi.

bundle up? Deezy rides naked!

i cant wait for some deep snow! i like to ride in virgin powder before the plows tear it up.

knoobies work great in deep snow. i love to go ride on 4wheel drive trails in the snow. it dont hurt when you fall down in deep snow ask me how i know.

You're in Detroit Eh? That's awesome. Yeah, my bandmate Brad and I are moving to Dtown shortly. He rides a Clinton 50cc, and I kinda ride a 1977 Carabela, though I'm ...ehem...in process of trying to make it work like it should. Yeah, we'd love to ride for a bit this winter.

I am 20 minutes south down the Detroit river. Email me anytime. eleedy@wowway.com. We ride all the time. There is about 5 of us that hit the ice on the weekends and go from fishing shanty to fishing shanty to stay warm. It is like a city out there once the bay freezes. Its only about 4 feet deep so it freezes fast. Knowing you are on only 3-4 feet of water is nice to if you ever did fall through. They drive trucks out there so little chance of falling through. I like that little safety net. My house is right down the street from the bay so we just park at the house and ride out. Get that ped running and get ready for the snow. If you need any help, we work on bikes twice a month so bring it down and we can all help if you need assistance or some advice.

this is a little off topic but how much of a temperature drop warrants rejetting?

Sure. Wrap up, watch for that black ice, warm up your ped really well, check your tires and you can ride in ridiculous cold. Wear long johns and protect every part of exposed skin possible. It's entirely feasible, I have done it for three years. A lot of time is spent fussing with clothing but other than that, get settled and ride.

My record is 9F, with plenty of days <20F. I hope to see <0F this winter.

Word buy a beater car I just did!

You are braver than I here in MN they put lots of salt down on road, I will not take my nice peds out on that shit...plus cars that already do not see you expect even less to see you in winter. Best of luck buy a beater car...I just got a good running Tercel for 600.00...do that you will be warm and get 35=mpg!

I'm going to agree with others that knobbie tires would be bad for anything but deep snow. They really have horid traction if those dreads can't dig into something, and you might find yourself unable to stop it in more cases than they'd help.

You could make your own studed tires, I dono if they come in our sizes or not.

I know people have had some success wrapping cord/wire/something through the spokes, around the rubber. Vintage style tires might give you some traction as well.

I wana try some things out this winter for sure.

Never tried this as of yet, but I figure I may as well, Not much els to do in the middle of winter.

My Motobecane has brand new tires on it, they're pretty knobby, and are brand new, it's very well tuned and such so it shouldn't be too much issue

Ben,

I am in my carb allot and this may not be for everyone but I re-jet or make changes every 20 degrees F. On these small displacement engines, jetting has to be spot on for maximum power. As far as staying out of harms way goes, I would say once you hit 40 degrees F you might as well jet for the cold. Two sizes is usually rule of thumb. Keep in mind that running rich at worse case will foul a plug. Running lean on the other hand will do damage. We should check the tuning forum and if info isn't there, we should start a thread. We have won many races over the years by paying attention to jetting. Some were won just because our bike ran and some others didnt. Not hard to win when the other guy is pushing:)

Jordan's question is so very very answered.

No, people in Detroit do not ride mopeds in the winter. They just wear skiis and skitch behind Eric Leedy's MB5.

I ride whatever I'm riding at the moment during whatever season that moment happens to be in, so I'll add this: you need boots, and those boots need to be too big for you. Fill the extra space with extra socks, remove your passenger pegs if you've got them, and then just remember that it's better to skate along the ground on your feet than to skate along the ground on other parts of you.

i've been thinking about this too. knobbies or studs are one thing, but i'm contemplating taking it to the next level and building outriggers for my moped- with skis or small bicycle wheels on the ends. like big training wheels, essentially. set them up so the wheels are eight or ten inches off the ground and would just touch as you turn, but they would help you to catch yourself before you wipe out on the ice.

has anyone ever tried anything like this? it would look goofy as hell, but it might save you from crashing in traffic. the last thing you need is to be laying in the road in front of a hummer as it starts to skid on the ice....

Word. You should do it, and take pictures. What if you made outriggers which were only about an inch higher than the rear wheel, and made them springloaded so you could turnand still keep one on the ground?

Well it is still in the 80s here in florida! I lived in kansas last winter so this year I am riding year round.

Re: Here in Canada I ride all winter .. blizzards,

...yes yes, and air temperature is irrelevant to your magical tomos engine, and your stock tires can somehow outperform specialty tires, and so on.

no groms no blasters /

no groms no blasters /

weak bulletin board code

LOL! With the CR80 clutch upgrade, I will try that this year. On a serious note, we bumper-ski behind cars/trucks and snowmobiles. At our age though, we no longer run behind to catch a bumper, we just use one of our cars/trucks and ski away. Not as fun as the unsuspecting driver who tries to speed up and throw you off but safer as the arthritis sets in. Its 70 degrees here now and I just spent about 2 hours on the Streetmate R. I am going to cherish this fine weather while it lasts but am looking forward to the snow.

I'm in Montana, where snow was invented, and I ride all winter.

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account