Registering/Title In Texas

I got a ped from some old lady around here in texas without thinking about legalities. Now it's 4 months later, i don't have ANY info, no paperwork, no way to contact her, and i want to be legal.

Has anyone tried to do the whole legal thing, especially anyone in tejas? Anyone have any success

Registering/Title In Texas

Someone told me a bill of sale will do, but I don't know if that's true or not. What ped did you get? I moving back to Texas next year (to Austin) and I'm bringing my Jialing with me. I hope to get a Hercules M4/M5 or a Peugeot 103 after I get there.

Re: Registering/Title In Texas

You're gonna get nowhere if you go by the Texas book. I live in Houston and actually talked about this last night with a guy who runs the local vintage scooter shop and he has to do this runaround where he'll register the vehicle to Maine and he'll ge ta title in the mail and then transfer the plates to Texas. It's a pain but it's easier than doing the Texan way.

Good idea!

sakuraknight: Moving to Austin? Hit me up when you get to town, ACR 512 rides every Wednesday and you'd be more than welcome.

The legal way in Texas is to get a bonded title. You have to buy a surrety bond for the appraised value of the moped. Paperwork, a denial, paperwork, and then a bonded title. After 3 years it becomes a real title.

Anyone from east texas? Say the 409 area code?

I had no idea that anybody rode in Austin. I should look you gents up. I live about an hour away in good ol' Fredericksburg.

Hey dude. I live in Fredericksburg, TX (about an hour from Austin). I know your pain, bro. If you don't already know, you need a few things to be legit with regards to the law. First off, you need a class M (motorcycle) license with restriction K. That means that you can drive any two wheeled motor vehicle that is equal to or below 50cc, and cannot exceed 30mph. Next, you need BOTH liability and health insurance for your moped. Should run you anywhere from about $100-$200 annually. Once you have a license and proper insurance, you have to get registered. I just got a ped, and I want to get it registered too. You are probably going to need a bill of sale (which you can make up). I think the cost of vehicle registration is something like $33 dollars. Of course, I've also heard that the cost is like 10% of the sale price for the moped. Many mopeds were originally sold before you needed a license, none the less a title of ownership. I wish I had more info for you though. Best wishes!

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account