Got a 1980 Puch/Murray for free!!!

Hey, just got a 1980 Puch for free and got it running. Don't really know much about them. Does anyone know what it's worth? Also, what fluids should I check before I give it a test drive. This one is silver and has the murray label on it.

Re: Got a 1980 Puch/Murray for free!!!

Sweet! Nice score!

How did you get it? We like stories.

they are almost magnums..

they are magnum frames with out the top tank

they have magnum length forks. and some even have long seats.

i have one that had a seized up e50 on it.

check your gear oil... left side of the motor (if your sitting on the bike)

thats the only fluid . haha

Thats cool!!! Im glad thats all :)

Well, my uncle was driving down the road and noticed this bike sitting at the end of someone's driveway. He looked closer at the sign next to it and it said FREE and it runs. So, I found out about it and asked him if he wanted it and he said i could have it. Brought it home and put some starting fluid in it and nothing happened. It took me a while to find out it had a compression release lever:) After I pulled that it fired right up! Only needs a new tube for the rear tire. Can't beat free!! :)

Jeepers!! I am still waiting for that to happen to me.

That is so cool!

Cool

I have a 1981 murray and they are like the toughest of puchs made for retailers,let me know if you have any questions mine has a 2 HP motor 14 mm carb stock bigger jet 62 and a bi turbo pipe and we hit 38 mph no kidding down low grade bury the 40 mph speedo.

Bob

That bike is a piece of junk and it isn't worth more than you payed for it, so you should give it to me.

Not really, anything with a puch sticker is pretty cool. Congratulations on getting your new bike.

P.S. pics or it didn't happen!

Ok!!! I'll take some pics of it tomorrow! Show u guys what she looks like :)

How fast do they go with all stock?

Hey, also wondering what kind of ignition system they use, CDI or points?

a.) it's a clutch lever, not a decompression lever.

b.) points

c.) seriously change out that gear oil

d.) seriously get some good two stroke oil and mix 50:1

e.) seriously enjoy yer sweet bike.

Also, since you did get a desirable bike, if you ever have problems with it, you could prolly trade a broken murray for a really nicely running something else.

you should change the front or the rear sprocket on that thing. mine was 13x45 and i think it coulda handled a little more topend.

Finally uploaded pictures of the bike on my profile!!! Check it out. Tell me what you think about it :)

Thanks for all the info, now I know!! :)

Knew a guy in the 80s (a mechanic, at that) who would remove the engine AND THROW THE REST OF THE BIKE AWAY!

Yeah, I know.

Do yourself a favor and look through the Murray Moped manual (on line). I learned more about Puch engines from that manual than any Puch manual I looked at. More and better pictures too.

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account