Just bought garelli moped. Oil resevoir ??

I just bought a 1980 Garelli rally sport moped. It runs fine but I am concerned about the oil resevoir that is in front of the gas tank? On the top of it is a pump that I can manually add oil to the gas. Is mixing the gas an automatic process or do I need to be pumping it in manually? Is anyone familiar with this and could offer me some insight?

Re: Just bought garelli moped. Oil resevoir ??

um.

there is no oil reservoir.

Premix 50:1.

Yeah, the Garelli oil injector is a hilarious Thing. Just premix. Don't use it. And yes, you have to manually pump it. It is not automatic. If I recall, the sticker on the tank calls for three pumps for a full tank of gas.

Whiskey Tango Foxtrot /

see pic... i'd like to find a cleaner way to do this.... any suggestions?

1223244715_stupid_oil_resevoir1.jpg

find a bolt that fits the threads and locktite it in maybe

Whiskey Tango Foxtrot /

also, my manual reccomends 3.75 oz. of oil to 1 gal. of gas , which comes out to about 38.25 : 1.... it may not make much difference, but i don't blow any smoke and my plugs look good, so better to be safe right?... i might be faster at 50:1?...

Whiskey Tango Foxtrot /

the problem is that there's a fitting on the inside of the tank that you can't reach, even with just you're fingertips, which the old hose slides over, then the nut threads on the outside holding it down tight to the tank. i might be able to get some type of cap to thread over the hole,but then the fitting on the inside will fall into the tank and be rattlin' around and whatnot, which i'd rather not have either....

what you should do is fill up the oil reservoir (and tank) with premix. 50:1. Then you'll have an awesome reserve tank. Run out of gas, and just pump more gas in. Go miles farther than everyone you know. :)

I actually tried an experiment with one of those to see how accurate the mix would be. 3 tries..3 different ratios. Listen to us and PREMIX!!!

Thos "injectors" were a USA only add on by American Garelli, because you cannot always find 2 stroke oil at every filling station like in Italy, so they threw those contraptions on so we dumb Americans would not get stranded.

I fill my tank with premix, and keep my oil injector filled in case of emergencies. It's a lot cooler than a fanny pack with a bottle of oil stuffed in it.

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account