peugeot gets hot, craps out, help please

I am in the process of restoring my 103sp. as per members of this lists advice I have cleaned the gas tank and installed the fuel filter etc.......heres my problem.

The bike starts out running great (like 37mph!) then whenever it warms up it starts to miss and run rougher and rougher, until I almost can't get home, it starts to backfire too.

this happens almost identically with EITHER of my two (clean)carburators and with either of my two spark plugs...my question is what next? points?, condensor?, timing?.....

thanks

Re: peugeot gets hot, craps out, help please

not sure.. but make sure you have the rigth plug in.. I know that seems gay but peugeots are really finicky.. they like 6 range plugs the best I have found... get ya anouther

spark plug wire too .... just get a car wire and strip it to the coore.. pull the old wire attached to the coil off.. .. fold the striped wire over onto itself and shove it in the coil.... you can use a little brush on liquid electrical tape to seal it off.. but if you use an 8mm plug wire not only will it be the perfect size.. being bigger will help via less resistance.

Have you cleaned your points? take off teh magneat cover. spin it with you hand till you see the point.. gently open them with a screw driver wedge a strip of sand paper in there and pull it a few times to clean them off.

why am I telling you this.. I don't think it is your problemm... but start with the easiest thing first... also by doing them you eliminate future probelms from them and learn alittle about how the ped works.

what I thik is going on is your carb is actualy running fine with crapola in it when ou irst start off after it gets run a little bit and more of the crapola builds up its finaly to much and is bogging you out. I also think your probly using the wrong mix and running your motor hot.

Make sure your air filter is in it.. make sure your mixture is right and your gas mixture is about 40 to 1.

blah... peugeots are hard to troubleshoot ... maybe some of this helped maybe not.... hope so..

oh shit... when it start running crappy.. run it with full throtal for me and see if it boggs....

okay it probly doesn't so next try holding the choke lever half way open and closed to see if that helps.. probly does right/

alright. eventualy when it wont run at all like you say run it with the choke full pressed i bet it drives normal your air filter is probly rotted away and missing and is sucking to much air in leaning it out and casuing it to run like shit..

puegeots air filters are made of this really wierd spin crunch wool wierd shit compound is all ican discribe it as that eventualy gets brittal and disentgrates.. normaly the carb it self suck it up... slowly

just anouther guess.... let me know some more shit.. what all hav eyou tried... does it ever vary... anything you can do sometimes to save it from dying.. does it ever run better..

what kind of oil mixture are you using..

screw your gas/air mixture screw all the way in unscrew 1 anmd a quarter turn..... how easy does it start.. should be a pedal revolution no more no less...

wassup Duck,

I was just reading your description of the air filter and you nailed it to a T. My filter is starting to fall apart, what can I get to replace it with.

Thanks for the ideas......I'm pretty sure its the right plug ngk 6 something.....I'll try a new wire like you suggested, I have already tried the point filing (even bought a special point file) they look fine but who knows.....to answer one of your questions it runs equally crappy at full throttle as idle once it's in crappy mode.....though I tried the choke it seemed to make it start to stall so I didn't try it much.......the air filter gets me thinking though, I have wondered what the "big plastic shell" was for when all I've got is this little foam-like piece around 1/4" thick right behind the round metal screen near the carb...is the big piece supposed to be filled with something?......does the gas octane matter?.....I'm using 2.6 ounces oil per gallon fuel mix...and 87 octane fuel....

what are the symptoms of a faulty condenser?......I assume since it runs good at first that the timing is fine?......

yeah dont fuck witht he timing on a peugeot....

its so damn hard to pull the fly wheel off i would drop outta my chair if that was it.

the ari filter box IS just a big ass box for the little tiny filter..

which i highely recomend replacing with a cut peice of foam from diped in oil and ringed out.

if the choke stall it out almost thats what it should do.. so

really 2.6 ounce per gallon seems maybe a little to lean.. just like I had thought maybe it was caused by getting a little too much air.... I htink your oil mixture isn't enough casuing it to get too hot..

Maybe im totaly wrong but I really think so.

You should be running close to 4 onces per gallon.

I am not totaly sure.. becuas EI have a 102 and it is a little bit diffren't.. albeit not much.

it running hot would definatly cuase some major pains in the ass.... best to be to rich then to lean...

A litte to much oil will cause it to smoke ... not enough and you will run hot possibly locking the motor up..

sorry for cussing so dern much.. where are my manors..

apologizes for sounded so ignorant

The big air box is just an intake silencer, so you won't get so much noise from the carb. As you have seen, the filter is actually quite small.

I also think you should be running more oil than 2.6oz/gal, I normally run 4oz/gal with no problems.

Bryan

gonescootin /

duck sounds like he knows what hes talking about all the way i only have one differant suggestion and its only after you try everythin duck has mentioned and that is decarbonization

I'd say you're running too lean in two areas:

(1) Use at least three ounces of oil per gallon of fuel. Four is OK as well. As these guys say, too much is better than too little from a wearability perspective.

(2) I think your fuel/air mixture is too lean. My bike (although not a Peugeot) experienced similar hot running problems after I changed my exhaust and carb and inadvertently ended up with a jet that was too small for the new setup. The bike ran like stink for a few minutes and then started to stall and "run like crap." I think the piston was expanding from overheating and was on the verge of a complete seizure. Fortunately, I diagnosed the problem (with a lot of help from my friends on this-here site) and installed a larger jet. Problem solved.

I don't know the workings of a Peugeot carb. Whether you rectify this by adjusting the carb or changing a jet I couldn't say. But I'd do something SOON before ending up with a seized piston.

Well if you can find someone that has peugeot parts like the warehouse you may have a 1 in a million shot of the actualy haivng gurtner carb jets... I serious doubt it.

For sucha common moped i'd think there would be alot more parts available but there just not..... Looks like most all the french bikes are hard to get parts for... sure the main stuf fyou can find.. i'm sure you can get a whole carb but gaskets and jets... and air filters.. yeah right... you better watch ebay.

It is getting to hot.. thats my finaly answer.. you DO need to up your oil to 4 oz per gallon. and maybe go to a cooler plug...

Let us know if this helps

I had a 1983 Peugeot. It was a royal pain in the buttocks. Parts were difficult to find, and expensive when you could. And really stupid stuff used to break. It was obviously designed for a more temperate climate. Everytime we had really hot or really cold weather, something or other would malfunction.

Oh, did I mention that it was a Peugeot CAR?

Two wheels or four, you get typical French mechanical idiosyncracies. The French ALWAYS know better, so you can count on them doing everything differently from the Italians and the Germans. And that is why, I believe, you can't find parts.

KelvinKDX /

using 2.6 ounces oil per gallon fuel mix = 49:1 ratio

using 4.0 ounces oil per gallon fuel mix = 32:1 ratio

I know you guys (Duck) mean well telling him that he is possibly running too lean and to add more oil to his fuel but more oil in the fuel will in actuality cause a more lean condition. I agree - it is important to have enough oil for lubrication - don't get me wrong. I typically run about 40:1.

It is common to "fine tune" jetting by changing fuel/oil ratios. Adding a little more oil to get a more lean condition. Lean refers to the Fuel to Air ratio. The more oil in the mixture the less fuel there is with the same volume of liquid.

Obviously you carbs jets & air screw have the greatest effect on this.

A higher octane could help you but it might only be masking your problem. As your engine heats up things expand - your compresion increases. A lower octane fuel will detonate prematurely if the compression gets too high (usually sounds like knocking). This is why you have to use higher octane in high compression racing engines. Most MX bikes with any engine work are running 118 octane race gas.

Have you checked out the wear on the rings/piston and the cylinder wall? Could have a slightly warped cylinder wall or piston. As it heats up there would be more friction.

If there are any air leaks - this too could cause you to be too lean. check for leaks around the carb coupling and by the reed plate. If there is a leak add some high temp silicone to seal (and not just on the outside - take the thing apart). One way to check for leaks is to let the bike sit and idle. while it is idling take a propane torch (off) and release the propane gas at different points around the engine (cylinder head, any seams & couplings) if the rpms increase as you do this and decrease when you move the propane away - then you probably have an air leak.

Hope some of this helps. I have a 103 SP too. Runs great.

my peugeot manual says the mixture should be 30 to 1..

thats about 4.2 ounces per gallon.

He needs more oil in his gas not having it is causing his motor to get to hot... ..

I said Richin it up.. not lean it out.. what are you argueeing there Kevin..

He needs to add more oil and adjust his mixture screw to compensate... seems like sound advice to me.

and honestly... a higher octane fuel on a moped is just danm silly.

Thanks for all the ideas, hopefully tomorrow afternoon I'll troubleshoot more, the guy at MopedWarehouse had a great troubleshooting suggestion to see if it's the condensor: when it gets hot/runs bad spray the condensor directly with component cooling freon from Radio Shack, if it then runs well it proves the condensor is failing from the heat!.........

Thanks for all the ideas, hopefully tomorrow afternoon I'll troubleshoot

more, the guy at MopedWarehouse had a great troubleshooting suggestion to

see if it's the condensor: when it gets hot/runs bad spray the condensor

directly with component cooling freon from Radio Shack, if it then runs well

it proves the condensor is failing from the heat!.........

sounds like a sweet tip.... I'll have to add that one to my

folder.. hehe.

solved it! was the condensor

(now I've got to do the ti,img correctly)

Re: solved it! was the condensor

what did you fnid out?

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account