moped not running after riding in rain

hangonforit /

I was forced to ride my moped home from work one day while it was raining and it just stopped running. I have no idea what is wrong with it. I have a puch maxi. After it dried out it started working again. anyone have any ideas? I am thinking it could be the automatic clutch. i am ready to take it to a dealer because i don't like pedaling it uphill when it rains.

Re: moped not running after riding in rain

Matt Lorence /

your saying it wouldnt start? it wouldnt be a belt if that were the case. do you have many exposed wires? if a few wires get good and wet, they could ground out and your ped wouldnt run.

on my maxi the carb is very exposed to water, and will stall in the rain if the proper sidecover isn't installed.

This used to happen on my Batavus all the time... what happened was the plug wire got wet and stopped conducting... I used to carry around WD40 and spray the wire (leading from the spark plug to the coil) and it would start right up again. Give this a shot...

Matt Lorence /

good point, after all, the WD, does stand for water displacing.

david f martin /

I think if the aircleaner got good and soaked, it would restrict airflow to the carb, too.

I rode to work in the rain a couple of days ago, and rode home from work in the rain today (about 9 miles each way). It's not a cold rain, so I didn't mind it too much. I wore a toboggan pulled down over my sunglasses to keep the rain out of my eyes, and buttoned up my denim vest to keep my shirt relatively dry. The front faring kept my pants and feet fairly dry, too... I'll probably add a windshield before it starts getting too cold out there...

The rain doesn't seem to bother my '87 Honda Elite like it did my QT50 last year. I guess all that plastic bodywork keeps everything pretty dry.

david

hey man

usually its water in your spark plug cap. be sure to blow it out and stick a q-tip in there to clean it out.

David,

You "wore a toboggan pulled down over [your] sunglasses to keep the rain out of [your] eyes?"

That would have looked pretty strange. You must have awfully strong muscles in your neck to hold up that much weight. Any problems passing under low-hanging branches?

I might try the same except all I have is a sled, and I'm afraid the runners would cut into my forehead!

;-)

My honda nc50 has been in rain, shine, snow, cold, extreme heat and all. Always started right up. I dont like the rain makes for slick tires but what has to be done has to be done.

david f martin /

Toboggan, hoodie, watch cap, whatever you call it in your neck of the woods. Cotton knit cap, doesn't make my forehead itch, very hard to find... Keeps the rainwater from dripping into my eyes while driving.

david

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account