$110 EBRs and flimsy shiny swingarm

Gunther McCilicutty /

I am needing some opinions on the 110 dollar EBR's (magnum length) and the wide chrome swingarm TREATs has.

I am posting this too late as I have already bought them this morning (impulsive Starbucks Red-eye coffee buzz purchace). They will be going on my Puch Maxi Sport project bike this winter...maybe...only if I don't get too ancy and put them on my cherry Maxi Luxe first.

any how, I have read the posts about the swingarms being flimsy, but I think the stock ones are as well and aftermarket ones should be fine...but I have never owned them,but I like shiny things even if they perfom the same as the painted stock ones.

The EBR question is as simple as this...The what are the major differences from the Deluxe for 210 and the regular 110 dollar ones I bought. Again they were shiny so I bought them.

Re: $110 EBRs and flimsy shiny swingarm

lol @ shiny. the deluxe ebr's are legit oil dampened forks. they're supposedly super nice. the regular ebr's are an improvement over stock maxi forks (plus you're getting the magnum length, assuming you wanted it), especially when you use the stabilizer. i wouldn't worry about the swingarm. i don't think it's much (if any) better than the stock one, but it's certainly not worse.

Cleats Onionpockets /

whoa dude, bad move on the swingarm. The two chunky looking lengths that make up the rear of the unit are indeed nice and strong. but note the flimsy little thin bit of metal that they join the mounting bolt part with. Uber flexy at that point. You can either live with a wobbly rear end if you take your corners hard, or you can weld a brace to that bit. A triangular brace for each that is angled to let the tire clear would do the trick. But as for stiffness while cornering hard, maxi swingarms are still a bit stronger, and magnums are the best (tubular metal, nice and rigid.

Gunther McCilicutty /

Thanks for the info. I was wondering the same thing on the thin metal length and I figures I could stiffen it a bit since it is for a project bike.

...and to answer Gabes question about the EBR is yes I wanted the longer fork to put the front in the air a little. I have flat drop bars and I am leaning way over so I fugured the extra 10 cm would help.

longer forks will change the handling, be ready for it.

Gunther McCilicutty /

I figured as much. I am looking for the front for stabalizer now. My uncle has a Harley Sportster and a Custom chopper. When he let me ride them I could notice a change in steering even if I was just riding around at 20 mph

What would be the effects on a moped?

the stabilizer makes a big difference. without it the forks travel independently, so when you corner one shock will be compressed more than the other. not a big deal with beefy forks, but not good on the regular ebrs. slap a stabilizer on there and you'll be fine. i say all that assuming the magnum ebr's are the same as the maxi's in every way besides length.

Edward Richardson /

So the thin part of the chromed one which is made of steel three times as thick as the stock unit makes it more flimsy or the bracket which is the same or slightly thicker as the stock unit that makes it flimsy? With all the flexing going on one of these must have failed or cracked by now with disastrous results, pictures anyone?

High speed cornering swingarm flex that you can discern, like the "Princess and the Pea" hmm. Your tires are flexing, the spokes are flexing, the bearings are flexing, the shocks are flexing, the forks are flexing, your seat is flexing, and you can tell that a piece of metal 16 inches below your butt has twisted a few millimeters? I usally have more pressing matters on my mind like, how much further before the pedal hits.

I'd like to see a mythbusters style examination of this issue, because I got serious doubts.

_the stabilizer makes a big difference. without it the forks travel independently, so when you corner one shock will be compressed more than the other._

What? That makes no sense. One fork doesn't really get more compressed than the other and the stabilizer would have no effect on that anyway. Doesn't a stabilizer act like a torsion bar in a car? Isn't a stabilizer used to keep a fork from twisting?

Gunther McCilicutty /

you are correct on the Stabalizer brystheguy.

as the the forks traveling independently..hmmm...no. Maybe mistaking that for flex as well.

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account