moped child seat comments/ideas ...

miguel /
This single post is part of a larger thread. Start from the top or view this post in context.

First, it's awesome that you're riding! Keept it up. Second, it's awesome that your grandson wants to ride a moped. Keep encouraging him!

Ok, I also agree that having a child on a bike seat in a moped may not be entirely safe. Granted. But kids do ride on motorcycles, which go much faster. I'd say that the best thing is to wait until your grandson is about five and a bit more alert to these kinds of things. But, if you ride really slow w/o traffic, I don't see a problem w/ him riding in a carrier seat. After all, bicycle riders do it all the time.

The best thing, however, may be to get either a top tank and/or a two-seater moped (if you don't have one already). When a bit older, your grandson can just sit behind and hang on (still, w/ a helmet). W/ a top tank, he can ride the tank. I used to ride like this on my dad and uncles' motorcycles from about that age (5-6) until I was too big, then I sat in the back.

Another suggestion ... is to build a side car. Now that would be a great idea, not just for carrying kids, but for transporting dogs. A Moped Army member in Kzoo was thinking about something like this for her dog, Taxi. A side car would probably be much safer and would be very hip, too.

Still another suggestion ... you could put your grandson in a child carrier backpack (I'm not sure what they're called). I'm sure you've seen them around. My parents used to have one in which they carried my little sister. They're mainly used for infants, but I think many toddlers would fit in them as well. I'm not sure if they're designed for riding on a bike or not ... but it's just another suggestion.

Finally, it's great that your grandson is interested in mopeds. It's a delicate balance, I'm sure, between indulging his interests, looking out for his safety, teaching him respect for the moped, but preventing him from developing a phobia of the machine. I'm sure you'll do the right thing. And I hope he grows up to ride mopeds! ;-)

This single post is part of a larger thread. Start from the top or view this post in context.
Subject Written By Posted
  Kid seat for my Targa?Topic by: T-Ped T-Ped 01/30/01 12:03PM
  Re: Kid seat for my Targa?Re: tom tom 01/30/01 01:24PM
  Re: Kid seat for my Targa?Re: cheryl cheryl 01/30/01 02:17PM
  Re: Kid seat for my Targa?Re: Ron Brown Ron Brown 01/30/01 04:40PM
  This may not be appropriate...Re: Fred Fred 01/30/01 07:39PM
  Re: This may not be appropriate...Re: T-Ped T-Ped 01/30/01 09:10PM
  moped child seat comments/ideas ...Re: miguel miguel 01/31/01 11:40AM
  Re: moped child seat comments/ideas ...Re: Reeperette Reeperette 01/31/01 02:38PM
  Re: moped child seat comments/ideas ...Re: miguel miguel 01/31/01 03:01PM
  Speaking of sidecarsRe: Fred Fred 02/01/01 09:19AM
  Re: Speaking of sidecarsRe: Fred Fred 02/01/01 09:28AM
  Re: Speaking of sidecars ;-]Re: T-Ped T-Ped 02/01/01 10:25PM
  Re: Doggie Woes ?Re: Reeperette Reeperette 02/01/01 11:05PM
  Re: Doggie Woes ?Re: T-Ped T-Ped 02/04/01 11:48PM
  dog chasing bikesRe: gimmiejimmie gimmiejimmie 02/01/01 11:21PM

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account