How much would you charge someone to fix his ped

Hey,

Play along. You started working with mopeds in the beginning of the Summer, you've gotten pretty good at it. Youve bought a ped for a bad deal and a ped for a good deal, now you know your way around an e50, can diagnose problems and fix a lot of them too. You are just getting into the world of kitting and suddenly

::poof::

peds start popping up like mad!

youve already found a few moped buddies around town who you work with, ped with, talk about sweet new kits with. But now everyone and his brother loves peds, is uber jealous, and "totally wants to buy one off of you"

You get approached by people pretty often, "hey I got this ped for free from my buddy, can you fix it? show me how ot fix it, etc etc"

How much do you charge? My gut tells me I should make back some of that money I spent on moped parts, kits, pipes, bad deals. Charge 25/hour, buy peds, fix em up and sell them off for ~600 bucks.

Anyway back to the question, how much should I charge a guy to fix his ped for him?

Re: How much would you charge someone to fix his p

I find that fixing peds for other people is worthless. these are 40 year old machines that require constant work so if they can't fix their ped they will be harassing you to do it. Its fun fixing them for a while but most people get them for free or dirt cheap and can't stick more than $50 into it without crying and whining. Sell Amway or something instead, lol.

i charge about 50 bucks an hour at cupertino moped repair.

Jason Jason Bobason /

$1,000/hr.

You can give a man a fish and feed him for a day, or you can teach a man to fish and feed him for a lifetime.

Okay, so you're not going to make a whole lot of money teaching anyone, but I think Salty's right ... you'll save yourself some sanity. Besides, maybe you could start having fix-it days where everyone can come and learn from each other. Then maybe if you guys get stuff fixed, you'd have a group of people to ride with.

Only teach them if they want to learn. If they don't want to learn how to do it themselves, then mebbe charge. I don't know how you'd go about figuring that out.

If you can make 25 a hour ( Tax free) that would be fare for around my area . For awhile now I have been detailing MY Friends Harely davidsons ie lots of crome and hard to reach spots . 35 a hour @ around 10 hours total

Depends on how good looking she is.

I'm working on a guys tomos as we speak. So far I've cleaned the carb ( & upjetted it since I was in there - it had a 53 jet w/ a biturbo exhaust), & replaced the tranny fluid. It also needs brake cable adjusting and/or possible cable replacement.

I plan on charging around $35-50 + parts for the work.

That's why I made this site teach them fishing and it's free.

i always tell people that they can drop it off and i will charge them 25 and hour, or they can bring it in and i can tell them how to do it and teach them for free. most people still opt for paying, because people are fucking lazy. so i make 100, and they get a ped that they will eventually get tired of and sell to me for 50. win win.

---You can give a man a fish and feed him for a day, or you can teach a man to fish and feed him for a lifetime.---

This is a bad deal for the fisherman who needs to feed his kids. If yopu know what I mean!

The keywords here are _mechanically inclined and willing_

I don't think anyone who's afraid to get his or her dirty can be expected to run and own an old vintage moped properly. I ride with tools in my saddlebags. Even my machine break down once in a while. You can not put a price on fixing vintage mopeds. Either sell a finished product or give the repair for free.

Offer a needed service and collect a fee for it.

Its pretty simple really.

I think it's like climbing mountains, you got to work your butt to get to the top, if you can not, take golfing. Same with mopeds.

Tri-ped Dave O.D.B. /

I charge $30 hr..half of what the local shops charge..but I have a lot broader knowledge and 30 years of experience at this. I also teach the person how to fix themselves at the same time..so good karma hopefully follows

It depends on the area too..shops vary around the country widely in what they charge. Half of the local one is a good start

so far, ive spotted a few mopeds around town, none of their riders know who i am, because i never got a good look at the riders. my friends ask me to fix theirs after I repeatedly say "hey just post your problem on moped army and ill let you use my tools" or "it sounds like your problem is this, so check this or this or this, you can use my tools" but it always ends up that they think i can get it done faster...so i do... for free...

It depends on the person, if they're really into it and anxious to learn, do it for free. If they treat you like "the help" by all means diagnose it and give them an estimate. You've probably figured out by now that mopeds are not a very profitable venture. I wouldn't install kits for people or anything to do with performance parts either, they bought the kit and if they didn't know how to work on an engine it's up them to learn then.

_You can give a man a fish and feed him for a day, or you can teach a man to fish and feed him for a lifetime._

Or you can sell a man fish, buy out the fishing pole companies, make ranching illegal, poison vegetable crops, and make huge sums of money.

My point is, charge people to fix their peds and never give them a chance to learn how to fix their peds, and you might be a moderatly wealthy person.

--Scott

i never charge and i make them sit there while i tell them what i am doing, i dont care if they want to learn or not. If i have to change your jet 15 times you will watch and you will know it by accident and be better for it.

i really want to learn, but i'm not the kind to impose myself. i figure i'll probably just do a lot of reading and tinkering, maybe fuck some shit up a little along the way and gain some knowledge. i got a TFR so i could teach myself without getting too deep right away, but my girl wants a moped now so i might buy vintage in the spring.

it would be sweet if there was something like the bike church in philly where people gather and work on peds, giving others access to education without doing the work for them.

Depends on how rich they are.

or how poor .. or if they're Harolds. /

Re: Depends on how rich they are.

i charge $30 an hr, and that's really good rate. but i love working on peds.

the scooter shops r like over $100 and 1977 right now is at $60 (still dirt cheap in the moto world) but gonna be going up i think.

except the bike church kind of sucks and never has enough time to help all the people that need it. Great idea but not the best execution... or at least it has been that way in my experience.

Most of the stuff I do for other people I get little to no compensation for, the stuff I do and want to be compensated for I usually want a case or a fat sack. Grass in times of no money is better than money in times of no grass...

How true.

Davey has got the advice for you're looking for.

Except for one part- "because people are fucking lazy"

People in this forum have a very unreasonable idea that people must be able to fix a moped in order to use one.

Just because you enjoy or tolerate working on them, does not mean everyone must.

I ride mopeds, I fix mopeds. I drive a car too, I have NO interest in fixing it.

I use a computer, I can't fix it. I obey traffic lights, even though I have no idea how they work. I can do sheetrock although I am not very good at it, but professional sheetrockers are VERY good at it, and fast.

What is the difference? no body can do, or wants to do everything.

Additionally you should understand that you will own future problems with this ped. When it comes back to your shop in a week broken you will be found responsible. If you accept any money for your work be sure to make sure they understand that it is an old machine, and you are not responsible for any future problems.

Mark: Get the business before next spring as I am POSITIVE there will be a moped repair shop opened by then in the Burlington area :)

Joe

My local motorcycle shops charge $120 an hour, and $240 an hour on anything more then 10 years old (WTF?!?!) with a minimum 1hr charge to just look at a bike..

For strangers/acquaintances I charge $40 an hour after the first hour (first is free) and I always diagnose and give a +/- $50 quote before I do any work. Friends are always free/beer, actually I'll always trade intoxicate.

I have too many of my own projects so don't like doing it. I always try to get people to do it by themselves first; but I live in a wealthy area and most people have more $ then time.

I think using 1/3 of my local rates is fare considering I have no insurance and I'm not a certified mechanic.

ha make it up as you go. i dont think i could write a function, but it has something to do with difficulty of the repair, how much time i put into it, if the ped is fun to work on or not, how cool the customer is, how much money i think they have, and how good looking they are.

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account