Motobecane Variator vs. Diamoby Clutch??

See Ya Moped Army /

Can you visually tell the difference between a Variator clutch versus a Diamoby clutch on a Motobecane? I think I have a Variator type since the engine moves inward when throttle is opened up, but I'm not exactly sure.

TIA,

Larry

Re: Motobecane Variator vs. Diamoby Clutch??

If you're engine moves inward, then you have the Variator.

I'm sure there is a better way, but I usually look at the pulley where the belt is attached and see if there is the inside part that moves the belt upwards when the engine pulls back. On the Dimoby it doesn't have that little piece with ball bearings on the inside of it.

simon

Thanks Simon. I actually figured it out last night when I compared the new engine/clutch on my Motobecane versus the old engine/clutch. Now I just need to figure the optimum Gurtner carb model to use on my ped. The carb on my bike now is a hybrid of sorts, with parts from several different Gurtner model carbs. I'm trying to locate the carb model that actually came stock with this '77 50V engine.

Matt Lorence /

Heres what I got... I have a 77 Mobylette 50V, stamped on the side of the carb is AR2-12-873 also date stamped 6/77. My moped has 103 miles on it, so Im pretty sure its all origional, all it was missing when I got it was the plastics. www.themopedjunkyard.com has a diagram of gurtner carbs, and sells most parts for them. hope this helps.

Would the original stock carb really be optimal? Some of the speed restrictions to keep a Motobecane at the 20/25/30MPH ranges were in the carb, so keep that in mind. What model version is your's - A, B, or C? It should say on the metal plate on the front forks.

If it's not the 30MPH version, then I would suggest getting a stock version of the better carb.

simon

I located the VIN tag of the donor bike that I got the motor from. It was in fact a 30 mph model. I also forgot that the intake that was originally on the motor was a short intake and not the curved one which I used from my original motor. Looking at the carb schematics on the mopedjunkyard website, the correct carb for my bike would have been an AR212/R705. Since I no longer have that short intake, I guess the best model would be an AR212/R873.

If anyone has this model carb, or just the carb body itself, please email me directly. I would be willing to buy it outright or trade for other new/ued Motobecane parts that I have.

Thanks,

Larry

Is your new intake manifold the same size as your old one? Obviously it's longer, but is the diameter the same.

Are you trying to bring the bike to it's absolute stock condition, or are you trying to get the fastest parts available on it?

simon

Simon,

In '77, Motobecane used the short intake manifold up to March '77 and the curved one after March '77. If I'm not mistaken, the diameter of the intake manifold was the same.

Since my bike has a 50V motor, it is no longer 100% stock. My old motor had a Dimoby clutch and the new one has a Variator. Basically, I want to use the carb that would have come with a 30 mph Variator clutch motor with a curved intake manifold. That would be the AR212/R873. Since I originally had a curved pipe on my original motor, I think this would be the best setup for my bike.

Larry

That makes sense. I've ordered complete Motobecane carbs from Handy Bikes before - you might try there. Ask for BJ.

simon

Could you please help me? I just accquired a 1978 motobecane 50 v with 3200 miles. the problem i'm having is that the magneto on the right side is not turning very fast

during start up. It sometimes takes 20-30 minutes to get it fired up, once it does fire it runs fine. is there an adjustment to make the mag turn like the clutch? Any help would be greatly appreciated

That's very odd - is the nut on the magnto tight? Does it actually run okay after 20 minutes or so?

simon

Matt Lorence /

The nut on mine was loose, it was a hard start, and didnt have much power until I noticed that it wasnt spinning as fast as the rest of the engine. Did better after a good tightening.

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account