How to clean a gas tank...

heyy..

There is a bunch of crud in my gas tank.. Can I just use a hose with water to clean that out? And let it drain? Anyone have any ideas on this..

Thanks..

Gordy

Re: How to clean a gas tank...

Do a search. Just don't use muriatic acid full strength. Mix about one part acid to 20 parts water.I would not leave it in there more than 20 minutes. Then use phosphoric acid with water. Do not get the acid on any other parts. Rinse many times with water, use a water remover and fill with gas right away. Do not put your petcock in with the acid in the tank, it will melt. Use a rubber stopper. bruce

Thanks Bruce,

I'll do a search, I guess I'm gonna have to start messing with some chemicals!

Gordy

Matt Lorence /

How would vinegar work? Its a mild acid, and works well for cleaning pennies, why not gas tanks?

david f martin /

I work at a VW shop, and a couple of weeks ago, I had to clean a tank for a kit car that had been sitting for over 10 years. There was at least an inch of sticky "tar" in the bottom of the tank.

The final solution was to put a few handfuls of nuts and bolts into the tank, set it on an old tire with a radiator fan strapped tightly to it (I broke off a couple of the fan blades to make it unbalanced), filled it up with carb cleaner, put power to the fan motor, and let it vibrate for a few hours. It came out clean as a whistle.

david

ItsLookingUp /

Rust is a deeper cancer to the metal. Not a surface oxidation. Do the search here there is a lot of good advice.

Matt Lorence /

I LOVE IT!!!! I'm gonna keep that in mind next time I have to clean a tank. Thanks!

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account