Check This

Reeperette /

MopedJunkYard has got thier hands on the "Tire Ultimate" for Tomos.

I've been looking for these a long time, since I had them on my 89 Golden Bullet, and loved them, found them from sheer luck originally, but the performance of these is beyond description.

Tread design "a" - it's a Cheng Shin tire, and probably the best I've ever used, and for $19.99 a pop it's a steal for Tomos owners, though y'all better leave me two left in stock, or I will be quite less than happy with you.

This tire perfoms VERY well on road, and has excellent grip even in pouring rain due to the squeegie effect of the tread, and hooks up on dirt and grass like a knobby because of the interrupts in that tread, which goes very far down the sides, allowing one to lay the 'ped way over in a turn without dumping it - they also do damn well in snow, for you fellow michiganders.

So if you want some killer tires, hit up the junkyard and get some, but like I said, y'all had better leave me two, or imma be a bit upset about that....

-Ree

tires.jpg

Re: Check This

Ataristyle /

Thanks for the info Reeperette. I already came across that but didnt know if any of the tires were good. I have stock tires(Slicks) on my '98 Tomos. I plan to put some good miles on the bike after I summer hits. I will be riding in the any condition except snow and salted roads. Snow riding is a challenge w/ the tires I have on it now. Plus I dont like the Salt on my bike. I havent road in heavy rain yet but I may have to. With the slick tires on my Tomos, is it hard to control the bike in the rain? I just dont want to go out and get those "Cheng Shin tires" right away when I have perfectly good ones here. Eventually I will have to get different tires I imagine. Let me know what you think about the Slick tires in the rain. Thanks : )

Swarm and Destroy!

Reeperette /

The stock tires on a Tomos, plainly.....THEY SUCK !

Anything other than dry, flat, level pavement (and where the hell are you going to find THAT in michigan ?) and they have no grip at all.....when it rains, you slide, and in snow...pfftfthhh, forrrr-GET it, you can't even accellerate...I didn't even try dirt/grass and I don't intend to bother.

When I first put the Cheng Shin's on my old Tomos, I had two incidents shortly after that really convinced me of thier value...the first was a monsoon-like downpour about two days after I put them on, and just to check performance, I jammed the brakes just short of lockup...and from 32Mph, my Tomos Golden Bullet stopped clean - in EIGHT FEET....that made a believer out of me, lemme tell ya, almost sent my ass over the bars doin that.

The other was about a week later, when someones cat decided to bolt across the road in front of me, and I hadda panic-stop (that's lockin up both brakes with the 'ped tilted at 45 degrees to the angle of forward motion, causing a near instantaneous stop with minimal sliding, and smart folks put one leg down behind, just in case.) and again, performance was astounding.

My advice would be to buy the Cheng Shin's while you can get em, but go ahead and use the tires you got till this autumn, when the bad weather comes down again, and then put them on...I really can't overstate the quality of these tires, especially since they are 4-ply and can be mounted with self-sealing tubes (if you know where to get those).

Speakin of which....Fix-a-Flat (that stuff in the can) doesn't work for jack on Mopeds, just so you know...I've never had any luck at all with it.

As for that, All you need is a standard patch kit, a small pump from any bicycle shop, 1 pair of tire bars, and an adjustable wrench...all of which can be rolled into a very small package, and carried quite easily - and it's a good idea to carry one if you go any sort of real distance on yer 'ped.

-Ree

Doug Davidson /

HEY DUDE, is that the C.S.tire that has the square treads all over? couldn`t read picture with my unite. IF so they work great, got one on front of ped....but for looks, I like the Tomos OEM. Doug

Reeperette /

Yeah, it's kinda like squares, with one flat strip down the middle, and yes, they do work great don't they ?

Was it me, tho - if I only had one, it'd be on the rear wheel, not the front.

-Ree

Doug Davidson /

REE, Yep me to but it was to big to go on the rear so, use what you got, and put it on front. I beleave it is going to out last the bike, but will make a excellent rear tire....Doug D.

Thanks Reeperette

Ataristyle /

I'm just going to leave the tires I have on the ped for a while. When i need new ones I will be definately getting these tires. I will need this tire because if I get stuck in the rain I want to have more control than the stock tires. This moped will have to take me to and from work(5 miles there and 5 miles back) for 5 days a week. Thanks for your help again.

Swarm and Destroy!

« Go to Topic — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account