peugeot crank shaft

Hi guys and girls,

I just bought a non running Peugeot 103. I dont know any thing about mechanics or mopeds, but thought this could be fun. I have been reading posts on the forum and have gotten some great info from past posts, but I need some real help now. The timing was off so I had to get the flywheel puller tool. I found one at Handy bikes and pulled it off. now comes the problem. The tool has flared out the end of the crank shaft. I cant get the nut back on.

How do you get the end of the of the crank shaft to go back into shape. I am stumped.

I think this thing is going to be a Blast and the anticipation of it running is killing me.

Thanks for any help you can give.

Ben

P.s. when I pedal the nut on the clutch falls off. how do I keep it on?

Re: peugeot crank shaft

Matt Wilson /

The attatchment should help. If not give more info and ask more specific questions

Matt

Matt,

Thanks for the reply. That is going to help alot. The problem I am having is that the tool in picture 13 has flared out the end of the crank shaft (pic 18) and the nut will not go back on. Is there a tool that repairs threads?

Ben

Ben, the easiest way is to have die and recut the threads.or you can take a small file and go to work. As for the clutch someone prob had it apart and didn't put it together right.I think they didn't put the nylon washers in right. Dan

Hmm.. You've got a problem with that crank. Trying to find a metric die in that thread pitch will be tough. Your local hardware stores probably won't have that size. Your best bet is to take the nut with you while you're hunting for a die, so they can get the thread size.

As for the clutch nut, it sounds like it's just too loose. I've always used an impact wrench to tighten mine, that way it gets tight enough and I don't have to worry about holding the clutch drum while I tighten the nut. Another way to do it would be to put a socket on the flywheel nut and one on the clutch nut, and tighten both at the same time.

Matt Wilson /

The part that flared out is unthreaded right?

So file down the edges just a bit until the flywheel will seat itself.

Matt

Hey Matt:

I also recently acquired a peugeot 103 and am looking for a service manual. Is that picture from one? Any idea where I'd find one? If nt, would you be willing to xeorox and ship me the copies? Of course I'd pay for shipping, copying, etc.

Thanks,

Geoff

Matt Wilson /

Geoff,

That manual was something someone else scanned for me. I don't have anything else. Try mopedjunkyard.com, mopedwarehouse.com ect

They should have it for around 20-25

Matt

Bryan,

Thanks for the info. saying that it was a metric thread helped a lot. It is M10 x 1 thread if you ever need to find the die.

about the clutch. It is supposed to disengage when the engine speed slows down is it not. when I put it on tight it does not idle any more. the wheel has to be in the air or it stalls. also how are you supposed to turn the moped off. I dont have a kill switch.

Ben

Great that you got the crank fixed!

About the clutch, i'm assuming you've got a model with a variator pully. If you only have a small, non variating pulley the below info will be different. What year is the ped? Model? (Ex: 1982 103 LVS-U2)

The clutch is supposed to disengage at idle. The first thing I would check would be to disassemble the clutch and check that everything was installed in the correct order (watch out, six small balls will fall out of the clutch assembly, don't lose any). You should be able to find a diagram on this forum that shows the correct assembly order. Most likely something's not in there right and that's your problem.

If your ped doesnt' have a kill switch, you can pull the decompression lever to kill the engine. I'm assuming this is still hooked up :)

Hi Bryan,

My Ped is a 71. It looks exactly like the one in the photo section. Same colour and everything.

I am a little confused by the variator thing. What exactly is it. Is it the thing that the belt goes around? If so then what part is the clutch. Is that inside the variator?I found the exploded view picture of the clutch that is on an old thread but it does not say which parts go in in what order.

I hooked all the cables back up with bike cables so the decompression is working great.

Thanks for the help :)

B.

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account