Need a key to run a motobecane?

I am inheriting a 77 yellow motobecane. It has rust on the tank and hasn't been used for 5 yrs. Any help is appreciated on what steps to use to get it back running. I know that there are no keys included. Will it run without a key? Someone suggested por 15 for the rust but can I get that locally?[auto supply,home depot]?, I am planning to de rust the tank[need suggestion]. clean the carb[need what to watch out for for this model]. And replace fuel line and a new plug[what plug?} Thanks to all and be gentle. This is my first post.

Need a key to run a motobecane?

I purchased my Hobbit at an estate sale for 10 bucks and it didn't come with the key.

So, I took the key part out and there was a switch under the actual key drum thing. I set the switch to the on position and put it all back together. Works fine. I dunno about a Moto though. Good luck!

Re: Need a key to run a motobecane?

the key is only used as a fork lock. if the forks not locked you're fine. be prepared to do alot of work on it.

I love mine but its been 4 years and it's getting to be a pain in the ass.

Keys are not needed for Motobecane operation, they are for the fork lock. get that tank clean before even trying to run it. Por-15 can be had at a auto parts store, or I think they have thier own website as well.

I was planning to dereust the tank and clean the carb before I start pedalling. Can I push start it.. Thanks to all

you can, but pedalling it is easier. Get tank clean first, maybe use an inline filter.

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account