Need a key to run a motobecane?

I am inheriting a 77 yellow motobecane. It has rust on the tank and hasn't been used for 5 yrs. Any help is appreciated on what steps to use to get it back running. I know that there are no keys included. Will it run without a key? Someone suggested por 15 for the rust but can I get that locally?[auto supply,home depot]?, I am planning to de rust the tank[need suggestion]. clean the carb[need what to watch out for for this model]. And replace fuel line and a new plug[what plug?} Thanks to all and be gentle. This is my first post.

Need a key to run a motobecane?

I purchased my Hobbit at an estate sale for 10 bucks and it didn't come with the key.

So, I took the key part out and there was a switch under the actual key drum thing. I set the switch to the on position and put it all back together. Works fine. I dunno about a Moto though. Good luck!

Re: Need a key to run a motobecane?

the key is only used as a fork lock. if the forks not locked you're fine. be prepared to do alot of work on it.

I love mine but its been 4 years and it's getting to be a pain in the ass.

Keys are not needed for Motobecane operation, they are for the fork lock. get that tank clean before even trying to run it. Por-15 can be had at a auto parts store, or I think they have thier own website as well.

I was planning to dereust the tank and clean the carb before I start pedalling. Can I push start it.. Thanks to all

you can, but pedalling it is easier. Get tank clean first, maybe use an inline filter.

« Go to Topic — end of thread