welding a gas tank?

does anyone have an opinion about welding gas tanks? Ive read a couple threads of people getting their tanks welded and they end up leaking again. its for my maxi N, I want to save its life.

Re: welding a gas tank?

If you are just plugging leaks you can solder or braze the holes. Make a dimple at the hole, use a lot of flux if soldering. Silver solders of varying content are wonderful. If you have a broad rusted area solder or braze a patch on it and then french it in with bondo for looks. Use Muriatic acid to reveal all your leaks. There is a pouch like structure in the lowest part of the tank in the frame that often has leaks so check that good

Listen to Steve.

i actually let a fat kid ride it and he was bouncing on it pretty hard. I yelled at him to stop and I freaked out. i checked it over and it looked ok but later that day it started leaking.

I think its just along the seam thats weak. I plastered the whole bottom with j.b weld to try to fix the hole with no luck. the leak is up inside where the air filter hole is and i plastered the inside with three tubes of j b weld and still no luck. I think it needs to be rewelded.

welding a gas tank?

brazing is probably your best bet. If it is leaking though it is probably full of pinholes and welding wont fix all of them. of course you could Kreem it but i think that stuff is trash if you want your bike to last more than a year or two. If you want to check it out here is what i did with my motorcycle when i had a similar problem. It may give you some ideas. http://gstwins.com/gsboard/index.php?topic=41993.20

jb weld starts to break down when gas comes in contact.

Um... I'm a welder. Hi :)

if you want clean welds that don't leak, going slow and careful is definitely the best way. TIG or oxy/acetylene would be the best methods becuse they give the most control. If you have never touched a welder, I would suggest finding someone who has and offering many beers. You may end up with a better tank than you had at the outset :)

Failing that, I could fix it for you if you don't mind shipping to Canada.

It doesnt sound like you would be able to weld it unless you found someone to do it for you.

You could try mounting another fuel tank somewhere on the ped and run a line to the carb.

Just please be VERY careful with fuel leaks they can go up in flames quickand catch youre clothes on fire!

maybe it is time for a tank swap from a regular maxi dan t done it it worked great do not let this bike die

Kaboom

Edward Richardson /

Could someone please mention purging the tank before some noob blows himself up, its kind of important. Wash that tank out with water before getting a flame near it.

« Go to Topic — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account