Thinking about painting my ped

I've been looking into painting my '98 tomos.

I'm looking for some feedback from people who've painted their peds.

I want to do it right and strip it completely down to the frame.

Is this all that difficult?

I mean, there's not all that many components to a moped, but I don't want to be looking at a pile of moped parts in my garage instead of riding around.

On average, how long does it take to breakdown, paint, and rebuild a moped?

I'm guessing if I devote maybe 3 or 4 full days I can have the project completed.

My father and I have restored a couple cars, so I'm no stranger to the painting process.

If you happened to paint your moped, do you feel it was worth the time and effort?

Guess I'm just looking for some advice from those who've taken on the task.

Thanks,

-RJ

1217718816_sta71382_medium.jpg

Re: Thinking about painting my ped

I have built an entire Puch Maxi in under 3 hours, doubt Tomos will be much different...

It wasn't the same puch in the attachment, but still, painting it is so worth it if you do it right! Just look at it shining ^_^

1217719773_dsc01480.jpg

Three hours, no kidding? About how long did you spend on the entire project (disassembly, prepping, painting)?

Is that a chrome frame in the attatchment? Looks great!

I've been looking into using Duplicolor Metal specks

Has anyone else used this type of paint?

Robert Susinski /

I spent about 3 full days painting the sebring in the attached pic. I used plastikote anodizit paint. It looks good and the bottle claims it is is gas resistant. The only problem with the paint is limited color selection but the sebring looks good so i can't complain.

1217728592_sebring.jpg

hey coaster rob, have you actually spilled gas on that paint yet and does it hold up well? I want to paint my noped but i dont want gas streaks all over it.

Powdercoat, FTW

Powder coat isn't cost effective at the moment.

dis asssemble- 45 minutes.

paint- spray, andhowever long it takes to cure.

re assemble- 30 minutes.

Of coarse I drink and build, which I believe I get more work done this way.

Gunther McCilicutty /

your prep time and painting is at least one full day.

Don't rush the Duplicolr Paint...thin coats

Note- Sparkle Duplicolor is hard to spray. Once the aerosol is about half depleted it becomes hard to get the spray even.

You will need to buy about 4-5 cans of paint, use the new cans for the long large areas and stop using them after about half can. Still use the last half of the can for smaller parts where the "sparkle" is not that critical as far as eveness.

With Duplicolor you MUST use clearcoat after oyu get 2 good coats on it, let set for about 1 day in the sun(or in heated paint room), then take it out and set it in a cool basement for another day. Wet sand LIGHTLY in between the paint and the clear coats with 1200 grit sandpaper. WETSAND!!!!

if you really wanted to get fancy you could again wet sand the clearcoat (if it is thick enough) with 1600 grit and then buff the hell out of it for the glassy shine.

I have sprayed Duplicolor for like 10 years and I love it...expensive but you can keep all the primer, paint, clearcoat, and wet sandpaper for less than 60 bucks.

If you do all the above it will take you about 3 days to paint and dry. Rushing a paint job is not a good idea.

if you want to do it right

"Three hours, no kidding? About how long did you spend on the entire project (disassembly, prepping, painting)?

Is that a chrome frame in the attatchment? Looks great!"

3 hours, really. It's not much work if you've done it before.. The frame in the attachment was painted in metallic black with pearlescent drops. I do have to admit though, that was a good camera-angle. It's the same frame as in my profile, only that pic was shot a year after painting.

Gunther McCilicutty /

ummm...ok. I am confused...sorry. Did you paint it in 3 hours or did you disassemble, prep, paint, dry, and reassemble in 3 hours?

Also, if you are using rattle cans get a pan of hot water to keep the cans in. It gives the cans more preassure for a better finish.

Gunther McCilicutty /

that is a great idea. I have tried that a few times and it works well. with flat and semigloss. I have never tried it with the sparkle. The key with spray cans is that they need to be kept at a steady warm temp when painting. I usually paint in a heated/vented paint room at work and was assuming not everyone has that luxury.

I use that technique for shaving gel...just when you think you are out, run the can under hot water for a couple minutes and you get the rest out due to preassure.

Robert Susinski /

I can paint something with the anodizit paint and spill gas on it as a test and post the results here. The blue Sebring has not had gas in it since i owned it. It will be for sale very soon so i will not get the chance to spill gas on it.

ya rob if you could do that i would really appreciate it.

If I indeed do paint my bike, I'd like to put some stripes on it.

anyone know where i could purchase the right kind of masking tape to do the trick? I'd also like to mask off some lettering too

Well, last night at about 10 i got really ambitious and started tearing into the tomos

I got it completely disassembled this morning, and got a few parts primed.

I had to leave for work at 3:30, so I couldn't keep working (though I wanted to)

I should be able to get everything painted by tomorrow :)

I've got parts everywhere

I was just thinking it's time to paint mine too. How did you prime yours?

Just a basic primer spray or did you sand then prime?

no, its prime then sand.

Gunther McCilicutty /

if you sand the body before you prime it will stick better. You can just scuff it up with 200-400 grit, then prime and sand.

The primer is a mechanical bond so you really need some small scratches in the surface to get a good hold/bond. ...... and when you paint over the primer it is a chemical bond.

I have seen it done either way

you should def consider selling me that honda and financing some great paint lol

good job

heh heh

The honda's my first true love (on two wheels anyways), she's gonna be sticking around for a while :)

I gave the original paint a good sanding all over, a good wipe down, and then shot it with rustoleum brand automotive primer.

The primer stuck great, so the paint shouldn't have any problems.

Gunther McCilicutty /

is the rustoleum "sandable". I have used that stuff before and it was a little tacky, never dried enough to sand it without the sandpaper gumming up quickly.

Let us know how it turns out!!!

well today was a total waste.

It rained all day, I had to run around to autoparts stores looking for the right paint.

I wanted duplicolor metal specks burnt copper.

Only one can existed between all 3 places I went.

I got home around 5pm, and started spraying... "okay, maybe the more coats I spray, the more orangey it will look, like on the cap"

wrong. It turned out like a friggen penny. Looks like shit.

So then I try to find some Metalcast candy orange paint.

NO BODY CARRIES ORANGE!!! It's ridiculous.

I should just go buy a can of house of color and spray it with a friggen paint gun.

I painted the fenders and the plastics, didn't touch the frame.

When I find the right color, I'll do the frame.

Just venting

WHY IS THERE NO ORANGE PAINT!!!?/?!!!11one1!!

uuuuhhg

I painted it!!!!!!!

It looks fuckin gorgeous. Sparkles like a sonofabitch.

I completely ditched the metal specks, it wasn't the color I was looking for.

So I used duplicolor metalcast in orange.

It's like a candy, as it's transparent (it's for chrome).

I shot a base coat of silver rustoleum, then sprayed the metalcast over it coat by coat.

I fucking love it

can't wait to get this bitch together.

I just need to get a few more cans of paint for the fenders

That looks pretty nice. Are you going to do the wheels?

I have a graphic for that style of bike you might like.

I've been pretty happy with it.

I'd like to paint the wheels black, but I don't really want to take the wheels apart completely. Plus my rims are covered in nasty little specks of grease and shit, and I can't seem to get em clean.

That graphic is sweet. I was thinking about something very similar to that, with a stripe down the side and "Tomos" cut out.

Is that painted on? it looks killer!

It's vinyl. I would think you may want to use black on both pieces, especially if you do your wheels black.

Take your wheels apart and soak them in paint thinner and then sand the hell out of them then do the primer and paint like you did or get the wheels powder coated after you sand them down.