Esoril mounting madness help

Ok so i mounting an esoril to a kitted magnum. Regular stuff here.

Theres always that issue with the pipe being so big that it makes it difficult to get the nuts on, but if you take your time and use a box wrench you can usually get around this without too much hassle.

So i get the pipe on , and the damn thing keeps leaking. I decide im gonna put another gasket on just for good measure.

Thing is when i go to put the pipe back on, it wont go on. Now i know it did before, cause i just too the goodamn thing off.

Then i figure out that i think mounting this is bending the studs. so roll a nut on there,use a deep drive and kinda bend em back. Sure enough the pipe goes back on and i snug up the nuts as much as possible. Leaks 100 times worse.

Anyone else have this happen? do i need to dremel the holes for the studs in the pipe header so its not bending my studs or do i need to get those long bolts that only moped warehouse seems to stock?

And is there such thing as a thin walled socket?

Re: Esoril mounting madness help

Dremel the holes out a bit, so you can position it better.

File the flange down so that it is actually flat.

And the most important thing is to mount the exhaust on the engine first, and make a bracket for the mounting in the back..

Mounting it on the stock location before bolting it on the engine never works with these pipes.

At least with all of them I dealt with.

thanks man.

I figured that last bit out a long time ago lol. You need to seat it on the actual cylinder barell before you go and try and mount it to the bike. They never really line up anywho.

What about the nuts, do i realy need to go with mwh nuts?

http://www.mopedshop.com/moped-exhaust-mounting-kit-puch-tomos-p/exhmtkt.htm

Somebody out there has a homegrown solution to this.

I dont have a welder or a brazer or id already have welded two nuts together...

doesnt treats have Puch long nuts now?

i couldnt find any just looked. if you got a link chuck it to me!

a couple of extra washers and nylocks should fix you up good.

jsut wonder which way to dremel. Seems like it was bending the studs out away from the pipe.

anybody know of anohter source for those bolts?

ok so he had them yesterday, mabye an email? i just checked to and didnt see them, guess i should have ordered sooner

i dont have so much a prob with the bolts, i think i gotta dremel and make the holes bigger....

I had the exact same problem mounting mine last week...

Those pipes are for Magnums that arent kitted and have an angled exhaust ports... you need to bolt it up to the engine first and you will find that the mounting bracket is about an inch higher than the mount on the bike...

Youll have to fabricate a bracket to hold the back of the pipe in place in the higher position...

naw they are for flush ports but still a pain it the hole.

If you did bend the studs and need to replace them you can use Sachs head studs to replace them if they strip... they work perfectly!

If they were for flush ports they would bolt right up like a stock Biturbo and line up with the holes on the frame....

If they were for slant ports you wouldnt get it on without cutting, trust me.

Well maybe youre right... whatever...

All I know is that with a Polini at least they will never line up with the mounting bracket on the bike....

If that's the case I'm sure you will have fun fabricating a bracket :D

Yah the mangum slant is huge. When you try and bolt a reg pipe to a magnum is points to the moon lol

Its like that with every cylinder dan. You always gotta make a bracket. I got a piece of crappy metal but im not sure its gonna work. Biturbo's always bolt right up but in my exprerince everting else needs mods

I just spent the better part of my afternoon bending my new Estoril to mount on the angled Garelli NOI. oof. Took a bit of doing, and it still wont mount right in the back, it's hanging by a heavy gauge wire.

i made cuts in the header part of my estoril (it was an a35 estoril from treats i think), and hammered a bend into it... and a muffler shop welded the seams up for free, and i just made that gd bracket - the pipe is thick enough to prevent me from tightening one side as much as the other with a socket, so i just got locking nuts, and those little crush washers... every now and then i tighten it up a little bit, but it seems to work for now

thats my plan for tom

4 washers each side, then a lockwasher, then a nut

then if i get it tight, im gonna double nut it lol

I used one of those socket screwdivers with a thin 10mm socket and a visegrip on the handle and it tightened up fine...

Dude go to lowes, ace, or tri lumber and buy a 8-32 x 1 socket head cap screw. take your studs out, replace with new hardware. they are the allen wrench heads. that is if the studs take a 10mm nut.

http://www.mopedshop.com/moped-exhaust-mounting-kit-puch-tomos-p/exhmtkt.htm

I was having similar issues yesterday getting my techno boss to mount up. I had to grind down the exhaust flange and dremel out the stud holes a bit to make it fit. Save yesrself the trouble and order those copper nuts. You can use a 9mm socket wrench on them and they go on super easy.

« Go to Topic — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account