for the "old guys" and the "back in

***Vanilla Thunder*** /

if i may here...

so long before i got into mopeds i was into hotrods and musce cars. i went to UTI in chicago and was a ford major through the ford F.A.C.T. program. i worked at a dealership (EBY FORD FOR THE ELKHARTERS OUT THERE WOOT!) and at an auto zone when not at the dealership. cars were my life.

now in relation to the old timers....

you can slap an edelbrock intake and carb onto a small block for a power boost but you know who did it first? the old mr. edelbrock. when? around the 30s! to this day. iconic of the eras gone by in performance were images of the tube rocket drivers with thier mustaches and cabbie hats, the lead sleaders and the greasers of the 50s. the beach scene and the dragsters of the 60's, and the freak out stylers of the 70's.

culture in it self is defined by the traditions and customs of our ancestors. culture is defined by what is passed down to us from our elders.

i dont know how many times id be machining some heads for a small block and have one of my older hot rod buddies over saying, that ports too big, or let me show you THIS old trick.

especially the mopar guys. thier a breed of thier own. theyve always got some old school trick that they never taught us in the hot rod magazine sponsored electives "hot rod u" at school.

ive learned all my best tricks for body mods and such from old timers who used to build the "lead sleds" of the 40's and 50's.

from time to time they dont understand the current trends in performance or culture. WHY DO YOU WANT ELECTRONIC IGNITION? YOU DONT NEED THAT CRAP? WHY HAVE AN X-MEMBER EXHAUST? YOU DONT NEED TO MERGE IT, JUST THROW SOME 3 INCH STRAIGHT PIPES ON THERE! DO YOU REALLY NEED ALL THOSE FANCY GIZMOS IN THERE? I THOUGHT THIS WAS A HOT ROD!

ALL CULTURE EVOLVES!

but that doesnt mean that they ways of the past are obsolete.

by definition a culture is the the traditions and customs passed to us from our elders. therefore, any moped cuture of today should be paying much closer attention to what those who have been around longer than you have to say. you might know more about your polini kit but i guarantee they know how to get more out of your spark than you.

these guys were the pioneers. the ones who saved up their money to buy that sweet new moby or puch. the same guys who cleaned them every weekend and analy measured thier oil mix. thier bikes were thier babys, EXACTLY LIKE ALL THE HOT ROD GREATS!

from ages 17-21 i was part of the pit crew for Norm Roll. a champion drag racer for the NMCA. with a world champion ship and a runner up under our belts. Norm is the father of my best friend. and guess what? his 72 nova was his high school car. the first one he ever had. 36 years hes been fucking with that thing and for it he was a world champion drag racer. he still parks it in his moms garage!

there may be some generation gap issues between us and them, but you need to show some respect. shut your mouth and learn a bit. cuz we seem strange and weird to them, as will the future generation when we are that age. but they have alot to teach us.

i see the same thing happening right now with current branch members. they like myself, are getting old. its time to TEACH the kids. show them the way, or get out of thier way. cuz they are the ones who will fill your spot eventually.

bottom line here is...

have some respect, for the old, for the young. theres alot we can learn from each other. if your truley looking to have a well rounded knowledge of mopeds, and culture, then find your common ground and embrace it.

Re: for the "old guys" and the "bac

***Vanilla Thunder*** /

and heres a random irrelevant you tube clip

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="

&hl=en&fs=1&rel=0&color1=0x234900&color2=0x4e9e00"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><embed src="

&hl=en&fs=1&rel=0&color1=0x234900&color2=0x4e9e00" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Re: for the &quot;old guys&quot; and the &quot;bac

Very well said.

***Vanilla Thunder*** /

p.s. if your ever at an auto parts store, look for the oldest guys there. hes probably the only one who knows what hes talking about. trust me.

there are more than hot rods in the world. how does the old timer who loves mopar have any relevancy when i walk into autozone with a question about my dual over head cam variable valve timing?

pushrods are dead.

***Vanilla Thunder*** /

LOL! pushrods forever!

Ain't none of that new. Some of us old guys were up to our elbows in twin cam variable valve timing stuff (Alfa was first with it in the US)... wait for it... when you were in diapers.

Ford sucks.

Not trying to start shit, but just saying Ford sucks IMO.

Shut the fuck up.

P.S. Not you greybeard.

Pushrods are dead? Haha, sure OK!

zack...i'm just curious...how come when you look up your email on myspace some 35yo woman shows up...but when you type in your name there are three profiles for you? what...umm...hmm.

Leon Swarmer /

Don't tell NASCAR or my CT 2000 that pushrods are dead.

I went Honda dealer today to buy a special bent feeler guage to set my valves. The young clerk behind the counter had no idea of what I wanted. The older one did. But they don't carry them...grrr. Have to ride the two stroke , I guess.

And yea, my 59 Benz in high school had 19:1 compression,

fuel injection and independent rear suspension. locking steering column and child door lock. Left and right heaters. The break away mirror on the inside could be replaced by hand if someone hit it with their head. All in a 36 hp Diesel 3,000 lb 4 door sedan. and the fuel milage beat anything I have in my driveway now.

Yea, new tech is pretty amazing, but it's good to know where it came from and that not all of it is new.

Leon

I had made an email address a while back for my aunt. The reason there is two of my profiles is because my first one was made with the moparman address. But the first time I made an account I didn't write the password down but had the computer remember it for me. One day the damned thing miraculously forgot so I had to make a new one with her email.

Where did you get three accounts? I thought there is only two?

lol, i've lost a password or two in my time. i dunno...three accounts showed up when i looked up your name, all in hartford.

I just searched and only two came up. No big deal.

***Vanilla Thunder*** /

as much as i love all this auto talk i think you guys are missing the point here...

I had something very profound pointed out to me the other day- superheros fight evil because it's easier than trying to fight dumbass.

There's been a pretty big outbreak of dumbass on the general forum for about the last 2 years. You can't ignore it, it's not going to go away. Just something to think about motobrokane, nothing else.

Used to be we'd say "shut up and ride" and it worked, a little.

Mopeds are not hotrods, they are bicycles with weed eater engines on them. they are not complicated. Also stop blowing air up these old guys skirts most of them are smug enough as is.

***Vanilla Thunder*** /

theyre really not that dissimilar, but were also just used as an example.

maybe some of the old guys are being dicks, i dont know

just puttin it out there.

i cant say anything right on here LOL

It has been my experience that you learn the best tricks from the old timers. But the old tricks combined with new engine technology always wins. It all depends on if someone is smart enough to listen to tried and tested advise from the older generation. plus the old timers tricks are cheaper, and can be more reliable than your expensive performance parts from china. Listen, and learn.

but see, hot rods are intricate machines with hundreds of littler machines in them. Mopeds are simple machines with a handful of littler machines _on_ them. which means, mopeds have less of these "tricks" to rely on. and most of these "tricks" can be found with the simplest intranet search.

i was gonna write a whole bunch more but then i erased it all.

ive been up for too long.

why cant we all just shut the fuck up and ride mopeds. and, i hate alot of people. im sorry its just the way i am and my mind set. the older people may have tips but fuck them if theyre gonna be old dicks about it. and the new people, well were naturally gonna think our "ideas" are better, because were fitter, better smelling, and sexier than old people. just kidding.

i love you all, science bless.

Damn you guys just have to argue about everything.

Hey Moto, you like hot rods eh? How do you like my drawing?

My Gloria should look like that in time. I hope to get some paint soon. Need money...

1217659901_772008_104101_pm.jpg

what you fail to realize is that 2 cycle's have there own tricks. Its called tuning.

***Vanilla Thunder*** /

holy sheesh! anybody heard of THE guru in socal?

anybody want to claim to know all of his tricks?

dudes! your missing the point! this is a cry for peace!

UNITY UNITY UNITY UNITY UNITY UNITY!!!!!

***Vanilla Thunder*** /

AND PLEASE! dont get hung up on the whole hot rods thing.

its just a real life personal experience i am applying to this situation. I AM NOT COMPARING HOT RODS TO MOPEDS!

I am comparing the similarities of a learning experience! for both the young and old! NOT HOT RODS TO MOPEDS!

hot rods is to mopeds AS a hair cut is to open heart surgery

I GET IT! NOT THE POINT!

UNITY UNITY UNITY UNITY UNITY UNITY UNITY UNITY UNITY UNITY!

***Vanilla Thunder*** /

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="

&hl=en&fs=1&rel=0&color1=0x234900&color2=0x4e9e00"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><embed src="

&hl=en&fs=1&rel=0&color1=0x234900&color2=0x4e9e00" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

i agree, any man who respects their elders deserves respect.

Downhill Harvey (OFMC) /

You know when your parents say that "You don't know anything". Well they're right. When you get my age, you realize that, back then, you didn't know anything when you were 15 or 19. Are you calling motobrokane old, at 26, thats not old. Tricks are learned from life experiences. Life experiences take time. Oh motobrokane, I met you at "Hold My Beer", and thought you were older (no offence)

***Vanilla Thunder*** /

hey i remember you! no offence taken. everyone does. im going bald, i know.

Downhill Harvey (OFMC) /

I never saw you without a hat. I didn't even know you were balding. Hair is overrated anyway.