The Honda Express Thread

i know these little fuckers up and down, inside and out at this point. they sold like hotcakes in the 70s (at least here in iowa they did) and since age 10 or so me and my family have owned 8 or 9, and never paid over $50 for any of them (one was free, one was $5, one was $40, and all the others were $50 each)

i know they arent mopeds, everybody knows this, but i still love them to death because they are indestructable, SO easy to work on, and a dime a dozen, even today. my friend's dad worked at a motorcycle shop in the 70s/80s and he said on a regular weekend they would sell a good 30 Expresses.

there's gotta be SOME appreciation for them on here. they are gay, they are fucking toys, and they are FUN.

Re: The Honda Express Thread

i've wrecked my daily rider Express thrice and it started back up perfectly (or in one case kept running on its side in a huge-ass puddle) i've never ever soft-seized it, even on a 150 mile trip running WOT with a straight pipe the ENTIRE TIME (i topped out at 19mph...ahh, the good ol days) it is the only bike i own that has never had a real problem. plus my first moped/noped experiences were on honda expresses.

i just love the little things. they are so shitty yet so amazingly good.

I only wish toyota made mopeds.

that would be some poseur shit. check out the first THING Honda EVER MADE:

a fuckin' moped.

i love my express. i ride mine around town every day, and im on the lookout for another one for my girlfriend... i paid 100 bucks for mine.

I wish I could have been lucky enough to find one for under a hundred dollars. I had been looking for a decent one for a couple months, everytime I found one on craigslist I wouuld call and find out somebody had beat me to it. Seems like once Gas started pusing the 4 dollar mark here in Des Moines everybody started looking for used Mopeds and the price of them has went up. I paid 400 for mine last month but... I will say Its in really nice condition and has been well maintained. so I dont feel like I was ripped off or anything, just wish I would have bought one back when they where in less demand.

yeah, i didnt mention that i had to drive to Hannibal, Missouri to get mine.. but it was worth it.

I thought people only went to Missouri for cheap cigeretts and fireworks.

Of alla the bikes I own, the Express is the only one I actually ride. It is the best.

I was suposedto pay $25.00 for mine, but I never did. I havent seen the guy in about 5 years now. I guess I still owe him $25.

I've had mine for a couple years now, and after replacing a fucked up engine with a lower mile engine that was taken care of, I've gone over 1,500 miles and have done nothing but fill the gas tank and oil tank, no joke. Their so comfortable, I've driven 3 hours non stop, and my butt only started hurting after hour 2. If you can't beat em, join em, then beat em. Joe

my longest ride was 8 hours with about an hour stop (between 3 stops). my ass never started hurting, but i was FUCKED UP when i got home.

i love the '82-83 NC50s more than anything.

i dig mine alot.

i never really understood how engines worked, but now they are begining to make a bit of sense. everybody i've come into contact with digs it a lot. people wave at me an smile, i smile wave back. notice so many details about the road too when you are not inside the metal boxes, then start seeing the details you missed when you are back inside the metal box, i use to have a honda civic and loved the shit out of it, even though i treated it poorly it worked well. so i have a respect for honda as well most everything japanese including the film, manga & anime. fooly cooly may have had an impact on me buying my express. i was looking at vespas but knew i would have to do training,licensing, insurance & inspection and all that just to ride. so i started looking at mopeds and this express just came right into my focus. i have pretty much grabbed a tiger by the tail with it. i've fixed what i could and had a friend help me do a bunch of stuff to it i couldn't do. this site with all the wonderfull people along with moped riders is an excellent source for usefull info on the express. even if it is a noped, honda made a fine machine.

Hooray for the Express!

My GF wants a Ninja. Not a Katana, or a Bandit, a Ninja. She also recently learned to ride a bicycle.

I took out the Express yesterday to go for a ride, and she decided to try it. Barefoot.

So, after I got her to agree to put on shoes and a helmet first, she putted it out into a big parking lot and dropped it. She is, of course, fine (because otherwise I wouldn't be talking about it so lightly); when she felt the bike starting to fall she just stood up and watched the bike do whatever it wanted.

I made sure she was okay, turned off the bike, and then later went for about an hour-long ride.

Hooray for the Express. Boo for the Ninja/Katana/Bandit "great starter bike" death wish.

A motorized stick.

They are totally weird, almost indestructible and just keep going. Usually cheap to free.

Wind it up and pull the brake- who comes up with that?

My biggest gripe - I don't fit on them. non adjustable seat, non adjustable handle bars, I can't ride the regular ones unless I sit on the flimsy rack/gas tank because my knees lock the handlebar in place.

Ha yea thats why I love it, Its like the clown car of mopeds, I have fit 3 people on mine, and we were blaaaazed.

Just wondered, if the spring mechanism breaks in the starter, is there a way to bump start it or are you stuck with a non running noped?

no. broken spring is a really bad thing.

the side cover hods the spring, but most of the time if you find a side cover that has a good spring, it's wound, and pulling the shafts out of place, so you can't easily install it. The spring is in there with security torx screws, under a heavy steel plate that says "do not remove"

could maybe use the rope trick?

i read a post here that probably should be in the articles:

https://www.mopedarmy.com/forums/discuss/read.php?f=6&i=5756&t=5756

and it seems relatively easy to do if the spring snaps.

i've had i think 10 expresses now, and loved every single one

the one i sold to auto1984 last week, was the first one i'd bought, and the dude i bought it from said he rode it from SF to Mt Shasta and back! little scrappers can take a fair beating.

you can convert it to kickstart as well, i've never seen that rope writeup before..

here's the 2 threads i have bookmarked that are helpful for messing with the wind up starter.

<url>https://www.mopedarmy.com/forums/discuss/read.php?f=6&i=123130&t=59343<url>;

<url>https://www.mopedarmy.com/forums/discuss/read.php?f=6&i=126164&t=125947<url>;

Gripes? We're posting gripes too?

That could get interesting...

Anyway, my biggest gripe was actually someone else's Props - the standard design only let's you pull the starter only after you've completely pulled in the rear brake.

There's one cut that I want to make across a bike trail. I WILL NOT ride a moped on a bike trail while the motor is on. That's way rude.

With the motor off, though, an Express is basically a bicycle with broken pedals that's carrying a big extra lump of metal. I call fair game on that one.

So, what I wanted to do was turn, merge onto the trailhead, kill the engine, coast 100ft slightly downhill, and then turn the engine back on. I can wind the starter while coasting, but then have to stop to start it back up. Damn!

What happens if you wrap an old brake cable around the spring release lever on the rear swingarm of an Express, wind up the spring, and then pull it while you're in motion?

Do I have to try this to find out? Is this how you break your starter spring?

i'm telling you guys, its all about the 81-on models where they converted it to kickstart. i HATE HATE HATE the wind-up mechanism. i have broken two in my lifetime, and they are a BITCH to get back together. my '82 is kickstart and it has never failed me yet.

i haven't seen any in person ever. the 80 i have is the newest express i'd ever seen, just 2 78's before that. so i've never had any experience with the kick start, only the wonderful wind up. i see there's a nice looking 82 express on ebay in Florida. but a bit pricey.

so is there any way to get a taller rear shock for an express? my fat ass makes mine pretty much bottom out. it would be easier to get a bigger shock than not be a fat kid.

honda Spree shocks mount to the express. much bouncier.

Will the rack/rear lights of an Express fit on an Express II?

"Honda Express Forum":http://expresslyhonda.yuku.com/

If I did this correctly, above should be a link devoted to Honda Express(s). If I messed up, you'd have to copy and paste the URL.

Steve Williams /

i don't know if the us ones were the same as the uk ones but under the seat was a moulded polystyrene holder for the battery,a friends mum had one and there was a fairly catastrophic electrical short which set the polystyrene on fire whilst she was riding it,she earned herself a burnt butt because of it and the express found its way to the dump!

Yup, the battery for '80 and earlier Expresses sits in a styrofoam block. I've wondered about the wisdom of this before, but haven't had to do much [shoddy] electrical work on mine, so I don't worry about it too much.

I also have all of one working turn signal. I flash it sometimes because it's the brightest light on the bike.

Styrofoam parts are often a sign that you just don't care. I hit a deer with a jeep in New York where insurance doesn't cover deer accidents. To fix the damage, I bought a new headlight bulb and some sheet metal screws, ripped out all the damaged pieces, then put the headlight and turn signal light in a big piece of styrofoam that I cut to fit. A hammer was also involved.

I thought it was a crap fix at the time, but didn't care. The person I eventually sold the jeep to let his crazy wife drive it, and twice she's drunkenly smashed it into things. From what I can see, my repair is currently one of the better looking parts of the car.

P.S. - Importantly, the deer I hit was killed outright. I'm not particularly happy about that (cars suck), but I also wasn't looking to have to euthanize an injured deer manually.

I found one for 35 bucks the other week at a garage sale. I told the guy I'd pay him 40 if he held it for me while I went to grab some cash. Drove like hell to the nearest ATM and back and it was gone! Total let down.