Reduced my 85 maxi to a pile of parts

Well. I stripped the Maxi to a pile of parts on the back pati o tonight. I threw all the small parts into a big plastic bin.

I'm going to need a bunch of little parts.

First step will be de-rusting the tank, after that it's paint.

It would be nice if I knew anyone local who had worked on a puch at all before.

advice anyone? I don't want this to be a failed project.

Re: Reduced my 85 maxi to a pile of parts

just make sure you do it right, not half ass GOOD LUCK!

I have the money to do it right, it's just intimidating taking on a project when noone else you know can help you out with it. Any information on this project I have to scathe from the internet. Things like this are a bunch easier whn you can call up a friend who has done it before (like when I'm working on my cars)

I did it right, replaced pretty much everything but the frame, wheels, engine cases, and a few other parts. Cost about $800, and took 6 months. I sure hope you don't have a 2 speed ZA50 like I do. The single speed E50 is so much easier and cheaper to rebuild.

Leon Swarmer /

You should have posted this before you took a wrench to it.

Did you label all the parts and put them in baggies, take photos of every piece while it is still togther.? In a month it will be hard to remember, harder as the time gets away.

If you run across another that you can leave together as a reference it could be a good idea. then you can rebuild it later. or you can use it for a parts supply if needed.

I worked on my Puch for so long, that I remember each and every part, and where it goes. Mopedshop.com has a neat parts catalog that you can download, with some really nice diagrams. I'm pretty sure it is the original Puch catalog. If you find a part, and don't remember where it goes, just look it up in the catalog to find out what it is.

jeez, i thought this was a moped accident thread...

hope you have fun! projects are some of the best learning experiences.

When I was taking it apart I noticed several things that had been done wrong to it over the years. One of the nuts on the front wheel was wrong and had been air-wrench-crossthreaded. A few wood screws were in machine screw places.

It is a ZA50. I'm not even going to touch the engine until I have a rolling chassis put together, all I did with the engine was remove it.

I hope the harness is not a pain in the ass. Can I buy a new wiring harness?

« Go to Topic — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account