moped licence

I have 4 teenage boys and they are working for money to all buy mopeds. At 14 here you can get a moped licence. My problem is that they really want a moped that looks like a motorcycle. They like the "Hardknock bobber" and also some of the crotch rocket looking mopeds. Although it is 50cc I am worried that they won't be able to register it as a moped. I would hate to make the investment in mopeds like this and then find out that they won't be able to drive them legally. I live in Iowa. Does anyone have an answer to my problem? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

moped licence

If those things don't have a title, chances are it's not going to work. Iowa is pretty strict regarding titles. The pocket bikes will never be legal and most of the chopper stuff won't be either without some type of official government VIN tag as stated below. Those choppers might fly in Missouri or Virginia where there is no registration of <50cc vehicles, but not in Iowa. Best start looking for an older Honda Express or QT50. That's all I ever remember seeing in Iowa growing up.


I. New Moped Definition

A "motorized bicycle," or moped, is motor vehicle having a saddle or a seat for the use of a rider, designed to travel on not more than three wheels in contact with the ground, and not capable of operating at a speed in excess of 30 miles per hour on level ground unassisted by human power. The maximum speed of 30mph needs to be printed on the certificate of origin from the manufacturer.

The new definition for a moped written above replaces the reference to "an engine having a displacement of no greater than 50c.c." The change in the definition allows electric motors or electric engines to be used as a source for moped propulsion.

Additionally, for a moped to be classified as a motor vehicle, it must be able to travel at a speed of at least 20mph while driving up a 3 percent grade. If a vehicle cannot go 20mph up a 3 percent grade, it is not permitted to be operated on Iowa's streets and roadways

IV. Moped Registration

To register any motor vehicle in Iowa, you must have the Manufacturer's certification label on your vehicle stating that the it meets federal motor vehicle safety standard. Without a manufacturer's certification label, vehicles cannot be titled or registered.

Re: moped licence

You can register anything that is a legit moped, with a title.

Just dont let them get any pocket bikes, or those shitty knockoff motorcyces that have no name brand attatched.

Look for names.

Puch, yamaha, honda, garelli, tomos.

those are your best shots.

« Go to Topic — end of thread

Want to reply to this thread?

We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first you'll need to login (or create an account).