Honda 50 super cub, how to shift a manual moped?

So I just picked up an old Honda 50 and it has a manual transmission. I've never used a manual transmission on a bike before. and I cant figure it out. so I figured I'd ask before I screw something up an brake the thing trying to wing it. I know its not exactly a "moped" but I also know some people here have them. so if someone could help it would be awesome. I can' wait to ride this beast. thanks guys.

Re: Honda 50 super cub, how to shift a manual mope

hmm, not sure if this is right or how many gears you have but i think its down 1(1st) up 1/2 is neutral up from neutral is 2nd then 3rd , 4th etc.. -- i may be wrong.. but anyways i tried- goodluck!

not 100% if its the same as the passport transmission, but probably semi-automatic three-speed (not really fully manual because theres no clutch)

press up (back) 1-2-3 for first,second,third gears...then back down all the way into neutral.

however if its a different transmission, the shifting pattern is the same as jacob has posted...if its a honda.

ok that helps a bit. there is a shifter on the left side that has a up and down. and then another on the right side that stalls the bike if i press it down. I tried at it twice and it clunked and stalled. I'm doing something wrong. I just need to figure out exactly how it works. there are absolutely no resources for this somehow. I've been googling for the last hour and a half.

ok. i managed to get it to move at least. but I don't know what I was doing wrong. I couldn't get it to shift right. and I don't know how I'm supposed to know what gear its in when its started. the first time I put my heel on the back petal and pushed it down. and managed to get it going. then pushed forward (the front down)and it did not seem right. it almost stalled I have no clue how this thing works...... errg.

I have an early 60s c100 and I'm almost positive that they shift the same. Starting in neutral, hit the back pedal on the left side of your bike to go to first, 1 up (the front pedal) is back to neutral, up again is second, up again is third. 1 back from there is second, back again to neutral. I think your stalling the bike from shifting too early, let first wind out longer than you would expect and stay in first up steep hills. The pedal on the right side of your bike is the back brake, Hope this helps.

Dennis

P.S. if you ever want to sell it let me know

You seem to have a clutch problem or the engine is revving to high.

At idle it should not move or stall in gear, the pedal on the right is

the rear brake. When you push the shifter down it will disengage the clutch until you release it. There are great sites devoted to these bikes, google honda supercub. Check the engine/trans oil.

perform the clutch adjustment exactly as described online.

contact me if you cant find anything, I have several ct90s & cubs.

I think that Dennis had exactly the right answer to this.

I'd only add some basic stuff like that you can tell if the bike is in neutral by testing to see if you can roll it around easily (not like a moped clutch which [should be] disengaged at idle speeds and below), and that every Honda Cub I've ever seen in person (all three of them) has had a bent shift lever - they're easy to bend, and only a little bit harder to straighten.

OK, now I have a question - are the time stamps on this board Eastern Standard? Basically, Chris, did you ask a shifting question around midnight, get an answer an hour later, and then post back a little after Last Call to say that you'd been out trying to ride your new motorbike?

Effing awesome, that - I miss late Tuesday night. I suppose Dennis doesn't.

The C100 clutch acts like a mopeds, at idle you can roll the bike.

It should never stall when you use the brakes.

1-check the oil

2-proper idle?

3-adjust clutch (very easy)

ok so I went out again to give it another try and I still cant get the damn thing moving. I think I understand it. but its not working. or I;m doing something wrong. I'll start the bike up and it does stall out if I let the grip go. but I think the throttle just needs adjusting.but I can at least mimic an idle. so its in neutral and then I kick it into first by pressing back on my heel and it goes bang and immediately stalls the bike out. like if I were to cram a car into first gear if it were running. should I be starting the bike in first? or should it not do that when I go from neutral to first with the bike running. the guy I bought it from said everything worked fine???

my c100 is 1-down-3-up transmission (i think all the pre-1968 ones are?), so if its an older model, and you're shifting with your heel first, you're probably putting it into second... so from neutral, shift down first.

THE CLUTCH IS NOT DISENGAGING!

Join the super-cub-club (yahoo group) Read about it.

Did you check/change the oil? Did you adjust the clutch?

Did you check the other link I provided? (adjust procedure)

Have the guy who you bought it from run it. Sounds like you may have a clutch problem. If it's not disengaging the clutch, it will stall. Ya gotta give it some throttle when ya let out the clutch. My moped is a 2-speed manual, with a clutch. I can almost pop it in without the clutch (harsh), but I kinda have to have it moving somewhat if I were to do that. I've had to ride mine home without a clutch cable working before.

Sounds right, but with the clutch pulled in, (disengaged) you should be able to put it into ANY gear without it stalling, until you release the clutch.

no clutch well there is one just u can control it and it sucks

HUH? I'd rather have a manual clutch! Not at all hard to use.

k, I have rode an old honda, like early60's one, and I could sware it had a hand clutch on it, but that's been over 20 years ago, and my memory is unelephant-like. I could be so dreadfully wrong.

me to. but it is what it is. although i was thinking off installing a manual clutch on there but its more $ than i have

ok thanks for the help guys. that link is super helpful motorbikenut it has a lot of good stuff. so I guess my weekend project is to attempt to adjust the clutch. hopefully that will do something.

It has what is called an "autoclutch", which to me means no clutch at all, other than the centrifigul clutch like a moped has, that will let it idle in gear. It should have a 3 speed+neutral rotary transmission. All shifts are down. From neutral, down is first, down again is second, down again is third, and down again is neutral again. To shift it, you push the front part of the shifter down, you will hear a loud clunk as it shifts into first, it should still idle, give it some throttle, it should take off, then to shift to second, back off the throttle, and push down on the shifter again, another loud clunk, then back on the throttle. Shifting into third is done the same way. When you come to a stop, push it down, and you are back in neutral again. You may have to rock it back and forth a tiny bit to get it into neutral, those old Honda transmissions had very loose tolerances.

junkyard, you are talking about some other kind of bike and transmission, or you described the c70 shifter backwards

c100 is 1-down-2-up, 1-N-2-3,

passport/c70 is three-up (heel-shift) N-1-2-3

i tested my c100 and c70 side-by-side

there is a thread from last month, confirmed by other c100 owners (including myself)

so if you're trying to shift down from first into neutral, on an older c100, yr doin it wrong

Shifting on the C70/Passport, using the toe shifter, is all down N-1-2-3-N. Obviously, using the heal end of the shifter would reverse that. You can goe in any direction you want depending which end of the shifter you use. But the only way to make the rear part of the shifter go up, is to push the front part down, seeing as how it pivots in the middle. Super Cubs sold all over the world use this pattern. The U.S. is one of the few countries in the world where the motorcycle shift pattern is 1 down for first, neutral is up, between first and second, and all the other gears are up. On the rotary transmission, neutral has it's own space, on the U.S. pattern, you have to do a tap dance on the shifter to find neutral between first and second. A lot of European countries use the U.S. pattern, only reversed, 1 up for first, down for everything else. A lot of racers also use this pattern, something about not wanting their foot under the shifter when leaned way over.

Oh no! Is DrATV going out of business?

Jerry, I was going to link to their Lifan engine page (here's a link anyway), but it's only showing four and they're all out of stock.

This page used to have a full line of Lifan four-stroke Honda clones, and it was huge because every engine they had came in three or four shift patterns.

So, they had rotary shift (N-1-2-3-n, and N-1-2-3-4-5!-N), "International Shift" (1-N-2-3-4-5), Auto Clutch 3-speed, and some other version of international shift.

My point is that I believe the best way to look at the different shift patterns Honda used is to just ask Lifan - they seem to have copied everything in great detail, and don't care what country they sell to.

That said, I think still think that Dennis (dez1)'s answer is right for the "automatic" Hondas that were imported into this country.

+++

Chris, yes, the engine should be in neutral to start. I wish I could say for sure that you can't start the engine while in, say, second, but that might not be true. If you did, though, it would start, idle, and then die as soon as you gave it gas.

Start it in neutral, let out the choke (if it still works, or is still attached), let it run for a bit, and then try... I don't know... any one of the shifting suggestions above. If the engine dies while trying to shift then Motorbikenut and Deezy were probably right about the clutch not disengaging.

ok I'm really confused. now there is like 3 or 4 different patterns it could be. to maybe clear it up. its just a regular Honda 50. from maybe the late 60s. I managed to get it around the block today. but it was very iffy. I put it into (first????) hitting the back shifter (heel) down. and reved it up and almost did a wheelie. and taping the front part of the shifter it was shifting to second...i guess. it was still iffy. so I let it stall. to try it again, and when I did i couldn't get it started and the kick starter fucking stripped off and now I cant get it to stay secure. I've had the thing for two days and its already testing my nerves. "runs great. yeah this thing is fast. I've ridden it once a week for the past few years" says the PO then I get it and the shit hits the fan. ugh. this bike would be on fire if it didn't look so damn good.

Walk away before you damage it more, join a yahoo group for

honda 50's or cubs and ask for local help. You will create a worthless piece of junk if you continue to blindly hack at it.

If I was close I'd help, someone is probable near you with the

required knowledge to solve these issues. Good Luck.

Jason Luther /

are you even using the clutch? lever on the left handlebar?

There is no clutch lever on the handlebar for the old "automatic" Hondas. Also, I was the one who typed in like fifty shift patterns - just ignore that message completely, sorry.

I was trying to say that I think that Dennis (dez1) described how to shift your bike correctly.

Jerry correctly described how to shift a certain type of Honda engine (now copied by Lifan with some success), but I swear that the Hondas sold in this country in the 60s and 70s didn't use that method. Newer Honda cub copies might, though.

« Go to Topic — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account