New Guy Needs Advice

Hi everyone. I've been reading the forums religiously for awhile and I'm now ready to buy my own moped. I have talked to a guy who bought an 88 or 89 Tomos A-3 golden bullet for his son around 5 years ago. The seller started it for him when he bought it but since then the guy told me that he can't get it started. He said that he filled the points and when he put a test light down there it started and he tried to change the plug. He said that the engine turns over but seems like it doesn't want to start. From what little I have learned from reading the articles and the forums I figure it would have to be a fuel or fuel line problem. The guy said he wants $250 for it so his son breaks even. He said I can come look at it anytime. What is the experts advice for me?

Re: New Guy Needs Advice

Cleats Onionpockets /

Hmm...tough call. Typically a non running moped shouldn't be than 100 to 150, but if it's in really fantastic condition and it's something that can definitely be fixed, it might be workable.

The big question is how does it look inside the gas tank. The carb has to come out and be cleaned since it has not been run in five years. The spark issue might be the points or it could be something as serious as a loose flywheel/fucked up crank. It is always a gamble when buying a non running anything. I find that it usually works out but sometimes it bites hard.

Thanks for your insight. I'm planning to go look at it either Thursday or Friday. I read the buying used article on the site but besides that is there anything that you all recommend doing? I feel like $250 is a steep price for a non running moped. What kind of persuasion could be helpful in bringing the price down?

umm..

how about the fact that it isnt running?

or the fact it is (as of now) a heavy ass bike and thats all.

thats all my thinker can put out right now. tell him you feel like a really expensive part is broken.

oh. and p.s. check for spark yourself. if he is as shisty as i would be he is lying. :P

good luck!

telling him his crank could be messed up looking in the tank bargaining for less ? actually just look for all the worst case scenarios and tell them to him

should be a good bargaining chip

He wants to break even? How is that even? He bought a RUNNING bike for $250.00, and now he wants to sell a NON-RUNNING bike to you for the same? He cant break even, thats not how it works.

You cant buy new mustangfor 20000.00 crash it, and try to sell it for 200000.00

Anyways, He wont be able to sell it for 250 Its not worth it. tell him its not worth it, and offer him $150.00

Hey guys he sent me 3 pictures of the 87 or 88 tomos golden bullet tt/lx. I'll post them all to follow. I really appreciate everyone's input and help. He said in his e-mail that "I heard it run once when we bought it, but it was hard to get started, we brought it home I put in a new plug filed the points, cleaned the flywheel, and still cant get it to run." I'm going to call and talk to him again tomorrow and set up a time to see it. From experience, is this a good first moped? I just need something to get me around in Columbus. Basically to and from campus and a bit of joy riding. I would guess this would top out at around 30?

1217389508_goldenbullet1.jpg

pic 2

1217389628_golden_bullet2.jpg

pic 3

1217389754_golden_bullet_3.jpg

Note, in that third pic you see a bike in the background with a performance exhaust on it (expansion chamber). usually people who have those know a thing or two about bikes. Which would make me beleive he would be able to fix it if he could. Although the condition of his garage makes him look like he may be a dumbass.

You could proboly get 250 if you parted it out on ebay. Hell, you might even get $250 as it is on ebay. I wouldnt pay 250, but it acually looks in allright shape. Well, not great shape, but most importantly, its all there. Nothing looks smashed or broken. Nice wheels

So I talked to the guy today and he said he'd let it go for $200. I'm thinking this may be a good deal. I'm also talking to a guy with a Garrelli (unknown year and model at this time). What is everyone's opinion between the brands at least? Are parts easier to get for some. Better quality? Thanks.

I don't know if this applies to that Tomos too, but on mine (an A3), you have to drop the engine to get at the carb. The engine on that looks similar to mine, but I can't really say for sure. If/when you go to look at it, you should see if the carb is all buried in an indentation between the engine case and frame. If it is, be warned that you might need to drop the engine to get at the carb. It's not really hard, but it's kind of a PITA. No guarantees that that applies to the moped in question, though.

Leon Swarmer /

warning flags are flying here. The guy owns 3 two strokes. bought one five years ago. couldn't start it and wants to sell it for what he paid for it. He got tools and a garage and can't get it running.... why?

The fairing is crooked, but I wonder if the forks are straight.

Tomos currently has dealer support, not so much for Garellis

Can you take a compression gauge with you?

Leon Swarmer /

Owneres: In pic 2 where does that cable go that is to the right of the gas cap? looks odd to me, but I've never been on one.

I can take a compression gauge with me. I was planning on taking that and my own spark plug. If what linda said is true my guess is that this guy never cleaned the carb, that is if what he told me is true.

All in all its probably a decent deal, and you can usually get any tomos running for less then $200 (find a bunch of stock stuff from the buy/sell forums)

but the real question is...do you know more then he does about fixing stuff? When there are multiple problems it can be REAL freakin difficult to figure out the causes since you have symptoms that are caused by two or more problems working together against you.

The easy stuff would be....

quality of gas (rusty tank, clogged filter if any, dirty carb, stuck float bowl etc)

quality of spark (i don't know much about points, but doesn't seem real hard to fix)

quality of compression (compression in the head is easy to fix.....but....compression in the crankcase is not fun to check)

quality of air!, not hard to check

essentially most of those things are "rather" easy, but there could be much more wrong....worn out clutch pads, the "spring" on the shifter mechanism that prevents the gears from rotating backwards could be broken (happens alot) crankcase seals could be messed up etc etc.

Its really a gamble until you take it apart, but for the experienced mechanic, it would still be worth it since all of those things are pretty cheap.

-Shadow

I don't have a problem mechanically. My grandpa has been building and working on two cycle's forever. How easy is it to get parts for these? I've been told that there are hardly any parts out for the A-3 motors because they switched to the A35.

i doubt its hard....

i don't know how similar a35 is to a3...

but i mean....a35 parts are easy as hell to find, so worst comes to worst you could just get an a35 and throw it on there.

-Shadow

ive bought non-running bikes for $300 before. 250 isnt bad.

you live in moped heaven. mopeds should be cheap in ohio.

the a3 used most of the same parts as the a35 not a big deal if you plan on keeping it stock. my bro has a 85 bulled runs like a champ.

Parts for the A3 aren't that hard to find. 1977 mopeds had/has points and condensers and petcocks for them, so that kind of stuff should be pretty easy to find. Some of the inner engine bits might be harder to find, but if you have to, you should be able to order that kind of stuff from Moped Junkyard. Also, if it's a late 80's model, it should have a Dellorto carb on it, and those are much more common (and better) carbs. I've heard you can put Puch cylinders on Tomos A3's if you switch out the ... what was it ... wrist pin bushing or something like that? (I'll link stuff at the bottom and you can read for yourself, because I probably just botched that.) If all else fails, I think the A35 has the same bolt pattern, so you could always throw one of those on there.

And so you can read information from people who truly know what they're talking about....

"Tomos boatload":https://www.mopedarmy.com/forums/discuss/read.php?f=1&i=70470&t=70469

"Tomos model info":https://www.mopedarmy.com/forums/discuss/6/111835/111684/

"Kitting info":https://www.mopedarmy.com/forums/discuss/7/92254/92254/

"More upgrading stuff":https://www.mopedarmy.com/forums/discuss/7/73944/73944/

I want to thank everyone who has been so helpful and patient with my noob questions. I'm going to look at it tomorrow so hopefully I come back with a winner. If not, then the quest continues.

Matt Scout The Scouting Dcon /

I would definitely check the timing on this bike. The A3's used a PIN instead of a woodruff key on the magneto and they have a tendancy to shear and throw the timing way off.

Thanks for the heads up. I'll be sure to keep that in mind. I'm planning on doing a total check/clean on whatever bike I end up getting

So I went and looked at the Golden Bullet and it was a piece of junk. As triumph said the guy had no idea what he was doing and messed it up pretty bad. Besides the original problem, he tried wiring the thing himself and there were lose wires everywhere. A little disappointing for an hour's drive. I'm going to check out a 99 Tomos Sprint tomorrow. The guy said it runs great but is a little hit or miss on the starting. He has a 70cc kit and a performance pipe. Any input on this bike would be helpful.

« Go to Topic — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account