Who actually pedals their moped...

How many of you actually pedal your moped?? My pedals are messed up because I lost the little piece that holds the left pedal in place...so now they both hang straight down. I'm glad this happened though because I found out that I can run and jump start it, which I believe, is easier than pedaling it.

Anyway, even if my pedals worked correctly, I wouldn't use them. You?

Re: Who actually pedals their moped...

- Summerai - First Ben /

I just pedaled 2 miles due to lack of gas... That was the worst bike ride ever.

- Summerai - First Ben /

but on the other hand I can play it off like I'm just riding a very poorly designed bike, where as if I had a scooter there's nothing I can do to protect my masculinity in case of break down.

Yeah when my moped fails me I also like to tell myself that others think I am just riding an inefficiently large bike, but I love to pedal mine, sometimes I have to get my piece of crap up a hill or whatever...

B r e n d a n C a m p b e l l /

i rode 4 miles because i had a bad plug in there. it wasn't a good time.

Heck yeah, pedals are good for all kinds of stuff.

1) They're good for going up hills when you just woke your moped up in the morning and it's still being kinda cranky.

2) They're good for giving you a bit of uumph from a stop.

3) They're good for pissing off cyclists because you can pedal slowly and effortlessly as you buzz past them on a hill.

4) They're good for freaking people out a bit -- you buzz by, but give it a bit of a pedal as you do, and it catches them off-guard. "Oh, it's just another one of those ... WTF?!"

I pedal my sparta from a stop....

My Puch has only one.....

I pedal sometimes just to workout a little bit. Now that I have been into mopeds it seems like I dont walk or run anywhere anymore.

The only reason I wouldnt use the pedals is if they were broken.

Frostback Ditch /

Ahhh yes, the humor factor of #4, how I love the looks people give you when you pedal past them

when is see kids looking at the ped with a puzzeled look ill give it a peddle

i pedal the crap out of my stock ciao

definitely have to pedal my foxi to start it. That's the bummer of not having a kickstand.

A couple weeks ago there was a traffic jam but the bike path was clear so I switched of the motor, peddled to the corner, and switched the motor back on as I was making a turn to zoom away. I think I passed like 20 cars. :)

Mattman MopedHead /

fuck yeah i use my pedals. i put my feet on them. i use them when i find myself on hills steeper than my moped is acustom to. i use them all the times i've run out of gas (although it is eaiser to walk the bike than pedal). and i use the pedals when i take off (mostly to fool cops into thinking i have a lame ass slow ped..)..

i pedal quite a bit, sometimes for fun, sometimes to get up a hill, or to the gas station, or most recently, to get back home with a stuck ring.

My pedals are useless, except for pedalling past the unaware. It really messes with them when I pedal backwards while flying by.

Tomos should have designed them to work, other than starting. It would be real nice to get a bit of human power in there on thoses steep hills, or the ones that have a traffic light at the bottom. Nothing worse than starting from a dead stop at the bottom of a hill,...with a bunch of irrate cagers right behind.

2-speed puchs dont need pedals to climb hills. FTW.

I pedaled yesterday when i ran out of gas cuase my sparta float needle sucks.

much better on a sparta then a puch thats for sure.

then again the puch wouldnt have leaked all its gas out. lol

eh, i dont know about that. I finally figured out why my maxi had a leaking problem.. stupid float needed to be replaced. I've never had carb issues with my foxi, though.

Yeah, I turn off the motor and pedal when it is better to be a "pedestrian" in any situation. I've pedaled around construction detours, traffic jams, intersections where the light stays red like forever. Wouldn't like to do it for any distance, though. Not an efficient bicycle!

I also always use "hybrid power" when taking off from a stop. It gives a bit more oomph, but also cuts down on clutch slippage. Batavus clutch plates are not the easiest to find, and usually cost a lot, so I figure anything that helps is great.

Zachary Evans, Destroyer of Worlds /

Depends a lot on the bike.

My Peugeot has decent stock gearing for the pedals, or at least seems to. I've logged about 10 miles of pedaling that thing while it's broken, biggest chunk was 5miles across Denver.

Puchs I always pedal from a stop.

My Sebring has the most horrible internal gearing for the pedal drive. It seriously only works from like, 0-1.5MPH. I can get maybe two revolutions before I look retarded or bang my knees on something. I still pedal it slow from a stop, because it's a dog off the line, and it makes me feel like I'm being productive, and at least trying.

Mobys I always run start, and always pedal.

Sometimes I just don't feel like it, it's definatly hard to do when I'm wasted, but I like the option.

Zachary Evans, Destroyer of Worlds /

Also worth noting:

On some peds (puchs for sure) you can replace the freewheel and up your pedal gearing. Derek has a better one on his Pinto2.7, and you can pedal that shit up to like 15MPH. Lets you kill people off the line, and allows you to have your cluch tuned super high.

i peddle all the time :P mo-fing-kicking ftw

I wish mine even had pedals just in case I break down I can pedal rather than have to push.

You would dean:)

i push start my moby, the pedals are just there for foot rests basically. my SSXL is geared so horribly for riding it like a bike, i can pedal as fast as i can and barely move.. but it flies now, so i have no need anymore. also a push start.

I do to take off.

My pedals make me smile.

I fucked up my peddle chain to the point i cant get it on so I do the same david run and jump start,